aberdeen-music

East Neuk info plz.

Huw

I heard they were putting on gigs again a while back and I think it went through (possibly Dweller and Ablach?), but haven't heard a peep since. Anybody know what the deal is?

Also, any contact information for the place would be grand.

Thanks in advance.

Aberdeen is in dire need of a <100 capacity venue. :(

Cellar is spot on for 3-4 piece bands, but noise issues seem to mess everything up. Good for quieter stuff, but nothing vaguely loud. The best thing though is that it's free to hire.

Neuk was pretty good. Roomy, but like the article says it's getting shut down. I was in the Tilted Wig the other day and that is an option, but it's quite awkward with a narrow walkway then quite a tall stage at the end that takes up quite a lot of room.

Couple of other places that could be used, but for some reason aren't. Reckon downstairs in Drummonds could work out quite well or the middle floor in Korova.

Guest Gladstone

By the way (been mentioned before, loads of times) - as far as I'm aware, the Malt Mill is still available to hire, but you need to supply your own PA.

I think the capacity of the bitty downstairs is 150 (including the bit round the corner).

It was a couple of years ago, but I did a fundraiser gig for our footy team down there with a covers band etc. and I think we sold all 150 tickets, and the place was completely rammed.

From memory it was free to hire as well. We paid a refundable deposit of (I think) 50.

Pretty good for DIY gigs.

By the way (been mentioned before, loads of times) - as far as I'm aware, the Malt Mill is still available to hire, but you need to supply your own PA.

I think the capacity of the bitty downstairs is 150 (including the bit round the corner).

It was a couple of years ago, but I did a fundraiser gig for our footy team down there with a covers band etc. and I think we sold all 150 tickets, and the place was completely rammed.

From memory it was free to hire as well. We paid a refundable deposit of (I think) 50.

Pretty good for DIY gigs.

I put a gig on there before and they were total knobs about noise levels.

Guest Gladstone
I put a gig on there before and they were total knobs about noise levels.

Nobody mentioned noise levels to us once!

It's a basement on Holburn Street below a pub on a corner - can't imagine noise levels being much of an issue!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Last gig they put on (Dweller/Dead End) was an absolute nightmare - they seem willing to put on the gigs (ie take money) but not at all interested in helping/supporting anyone involved.

We were setting up amps/cabs/PA and the barman said if we didn't "turn down and leave in the next 10 minutes" he'd cancel the whole thing...