aberdeen-music

Plans for the year ahead?

Chris

2013 - Finally go to hockey for all and discover how shit I am at ice hockey.

That'd be on my list too, but I'm well aware it won't happen.

Realistically I'd like to have a Needleman EP recorded and released and have the band start gigging in early 2013.

I'd also like to have the first issue of the comic I'm scribbling away at put together by the end of 2013 which should be doable if I continue current (slow fucking) progress.

Otherwise, I'll be finishing the "graduate scheme" at work and becoming an engineer, rather than a graduate engineer. That'll be nice.

xx

Taking up sport again is a classic empty resolution of mine. I keep on saying i'll go back to rugby but after 2 knee reconstructions and another operation on the way i know there is nae chance that will be happening. I do have a wonderful gut on me just now that needs slimming so maybe a completely new sport is is order. I would gladly take up ice hockey but it looks like (without investigating it) the cost could be prohibitive especially if i might not like it after i try it.

Get a new job - I'm dying a slow death here

Get a new flat - I'm dying a slow death there

Keep up my fitness routine - I'm staving off death there ... or accelerating it, who knows?

Get some advanced guitar lessons - My technique is getting sloppy and all my solos sound the same

Take up a new sport/hobby - fuck knows what though. Maybe weights, then folks at gigs will say "Check oot the guns on the guitarist!" , "Aye but all his solos sound the same"

• Upvote 7

Realistically I'd like to have a Needleman EP recorded and released and have the band start gigging in early 2013.

I think we'll be good for that.

Not sure what i'd like to do otherwise. Should have some recorded output for my electro project, Lady Wants Audio, finished at some point in the first half of 2013 though i've no plans to gig (Needleman will keep me busy for that hopefully!).

Oh well, back to the 2011 goals:

Travel more and take more short trips away for the weekend.

Walk up more big hills

Run a 10k in under 50 mins

Start gigging again

Not done much travelling this year as most of my holidays were kept for my honeymoon. But did have a great time in New Zealand for that.

No big hills this year as the weather over spring and summer was fucking awful. Did a navigation course in April then went off to do the west highland way. Gave up at Crianlarich and got the train to Tyndrum as our waterproofs had given up due to the amount of rain.

10k in under 50 mins? Ran 53 minutes for 2nd year in a row at Baker Hughes, felt terrible on day of the race and even worse after it. But did manage to win the club's handicap series and complete my first half marathon.

Gigging again? Well I joined Das McManus and played my first gig in over 4 years with about 3 weeks notice :)

For 2013? 2 hour half marathon would be good plus another stab at a sub 50 10k. Should be well within my ability if I turn up fit on the day. Aside from that I have no fucking idea what I'm doing next year. Looking forward to writing some songs with Das McManus and playing more gigs. Also hoping I can do something different at work. I have a great urge to try and find some way of not working in IT for oil companies in the next few years but still pay my mortgage. If I pass my project management exam tomorrow hopefully that'll go a long way towards that.

Learn to drive.

Watch every episode of The Simpsons.

Put on some weight that isn't fat.

Lose some of the weight that is fat.

1. Didn't do. Too expensive. Like, ridiculously. How do people who aren't spoiled as shit by filthy rich parents learn to drive and afford to eat?

2. Getting there. I know I've seen all of seasons 1-10. I managed to watch all of seasons 11-21 in the past couple of years. So close.

3. I've lifted weights and done a bunch of cycling. Done alright.

4. I got better at cooking, and none of it was healthy, so this never happened. Pretty sure each hot wing I made cut about a day or 2 off my life. so I've lost about 3 months.

• Upvote 1

Get a new job - I'm dying a slow death here

Get a new flat - I'm dying a slow death there

Keep up my fitness routine - I'm staving off death there ... or accelerating it, who knows?

Get some advanced guitar lessons - My technique is getting sloppy and all my solos sound the same

Take up a new sport/hobby - fuck knows what though. Maybe weights, then folks at gigs will say "Check oot the guns on the guitarist!" , "Aye but all his solos sound the same"

Have a look for some books/dvd's or online lessons by Julien Kasper, Dave Weiner or Thaddeus Hogarth. Spent some time being taught by them. Their improv techniques and methods are brill when it comes to soloing. They taught me about phrasing, melody, target notes etc.

Has anyone ever done any volunteering of any kind (including abroad)?

I seem to be developing an urge to give something back and do something a bit more fulfilling with my time, rather than sit at a desk 8 hours a day.

I used to volunteer at RACH, as a play volunteer where you entertained the kids, but since getting a Monday to Friday job that's put a stop to it. Really miss it though.

I'd like to be able to do something at the weekend, that isn't volunteering in a charity shop, or isn't going to cost me nearly a grand to go away for a couple of weeks.

Has anyone ever done any volunteering of any kind (including abroad)?

I seem to be developing an urge to give something back and do something a bit more fulfilling with my time, rather than sit at a desk 8 hours a day.

I have. In Ghana, Nepal and Birmingham of all places.

PM me any questions you've got. Let's not anger the mods by taking the thread off topic.

1. Didn't do. Too expensive. Like, ridiculously. How do people who aren't spoiled as shit by filthy rich parents learn to drive and afford to eat?

2. Getting there. I know I've seen all of seasons 1-10. I managed to watch all of seasons 11-21 in the past couple of years. So close.

3. I've lifted weights and done a bunch of cycling. Done alright.

4. I got better at cooking, and none of it was healthy, so this never happened. Pretty sure each hot wing I made cut about a day or 2 off my life. so I've lost about 3 months.

Maybe number 2 was the real reason number 1 didn't happen...?

Get a promotion, or a job that pays better. The constant money worries are getting boring.

A couple of trips back to Scotland and a wee trip round Ireland. I've lived here for a year and still only seen Dublin and Co. Wicklow. I hear Kerry, Cork and Galway are beautiful.

Start a band.

Take some guitar lessons.

Do some volunteering.

Move to a nicer part of Dublin, or out of Dublin altogether.

New tattoo. My girlfriend is getting me a tattoo voucher as my main birthday present.

With the way things have been going with Bisongrass so far, it could be a good year musically. Some good gigs to come and maybe a 2nd album. :)

I hope to sort out getting another guitar at some point in 2013. It has been a while since I've had a new one. Longer since I've had a new one and then actually kept it for any time.

Also hoping to finish up the exterior of the Supra. Need to get new wheels for it and then a full respray. That is a little while off though with the new amp eating into money I had originally planned for the car.

Other than that, just planning to carry on as I have started at work and learn as much as I can whilst enjoying it.