aberdeen-music

Plans for the year ahead?

Chris

Right, a bit more detail.

Eat Healthy No more chocolatey stuff. Make my own lunches everyday instead of burger vans. No more boredom-snacking. If I'm bored I'll wank. To fill the empty gap inside after wanking, I'll wank again. I'll eat my 5 a day. Drink more milk and orange Juice.

Get Fit I'm going to invest in some proper gear for running and swimming. I'm hopefully going to jog 3 nights a week and go swimming once or twice a week. Once I have my own flat I'm investing in some fitness stuff to get muscle levels up.

Get A Flat & Furnish It Hopefully me and the missus will have a flat pretty soon. We've got a fridge/freezer and a washing machine is next on the list. I'm going to put aside 200 each month for buying flat stuff. We also have about 250 in coppers and ten pence pieces which is going towards a big tv for the living room.

Learn To Drive Got money to do this from the parents for christmas but some went towards a fridge/freezer and some went on dvds and shit. I have enough left for my provisional and 2 hours of lessons. Going to hopefully save up for a block of lessons and get my mum to take me out. Hopefully pass before autumn. But I could see it being a winter test.

Put More Effort Into Producing Going to invest as much time (and perhaps money) as I can into producing dubstep and maybe try my hand at some drum 'n' bass. I started a while back but never had time to get into it. Going to try and do it while my girlfriend is doing open university stuff.

• 8 months later...

Right, so we're 3/4 through the year. How is everyone getting on with their plans?

Bit of a mixed bag for myself. Still in Aberdeen. Work's been mental this year meaning my spare time has been limited.

Haven't had a guitar lesson or learnt a programming language.

Have started jamming with workmates, mostly blues.

Fall in love - yeah right. :eek:

Get out of Aberdeen for a bit and see the world (money dependent and would mean quitting my job).

Failing that:

Get guitar lessons.

Learn a programming language.

Start a musical project.

Fall in love. :love:

Learn to drive.

Watch every episode of The Simpsons.

Put on some weight that isn't fat.

Lose some of the weight that is fat.

And the same thing I do every year. Try to take over the world.

I haven't learned to drive because I was greeted into 2011 with a massive arse-ripper of a paycut.

I'm getting closer to watching every Simpsons episode, thanks to Channel 4 getting some new ones on.

My weight has stayed the same.

I haven't taken over the world yet.

The only things I managed to do was figure out what I was doing with my time out which was four months stateside, and be sensible with my money. This year it's PhD, fitness and publishing.

Well, the PhD is marginally closer to being finished but I'll be making some major headway before Christmas. Fitness wise I've started jogging and eating more sensibly, as a result I'm feeling healthier and looking better. As for publishing, I had a massive creative drought and as such didn't get much written, but I have had a piece accepted by Brittle Star and have stuff sent off to New Writing Scotland and Gutter. I've also remained sensible with my money.

My aim by the end of the year is to have a working draft of my ENTIRE PhD as opposed to just two chapters and a bunch of poetry, and actually go on a date.

Do a bit more exercise, but who doesn't say that?

Most importantly I have to decide soon whether I'm going to continue living in Barcelona after the summer. And if I leave, where do I go?

Don't really have anything else more specific.

Oh, pay off my credit card bill that's been lingering around for some time.

My original post was rubbish so I don't have much to evaluate.

Of course I haven't been doing more exercise, well actually I probably was for a little while but it's stopped.

I did make a decision on whether to move or not though. I attained a new feeling of being settled in the first few months of the year and I'm very happy living here.

Credit Card finally got paid off but built up again. I do have the money to get it back to 0 though so I consider this a plus.

In general it's been a very good year.

Continue with this no smoking malarky. Only been a week or so but it's doing me the world of good.

Stay in New York by any means necessary. Possibly move out to a cheaper borough but I wanna still be here by this time next year.

Find a hot, sub-serviant Asian girlfriend. Everyone seems to have one here.*

Get back into football. I'm gonna show these yanks how to play proper up-and-under Scottish style.

*only half joking.

I pretty much achieved everything here. The Asian bird was anything but sub-servient and we're not together anymore and I took smoking back up then quit again so not quite but I'm playing footy every week and I moved to a cheaper place so job's a good un. I wasn't very ambitious obviously.

• Upvote 1

Travel more and take more short trips away for the weekend. - Part of this is wanting to see more of Scotland and Europe but is also linked to the next one

Walk up more big hills - Got out walking a few times last year but various distractions, injuries and bad weather meant I never got that first munro ticked off

Run a 10k in under 50 mins - I've quit one form of exercise to free up time for other activities so really want to do more running now and it would be good to see my times come down as a result

Start gigging again - I've got a lot more free time now (maybe even more if things go pear shaped regarding work) so hope to get Causey Mounth gig ready for the summer

Walked up Morven and Lochnagar geting the first munro ticked off but haven't done much others yet this year.

Going to Skye this weekend but I don't think one trip really counts.

I ran the Baker Hughes in 53 mins. Got another 10k in October so see if I can improve on that.

I haven't played a gig but I have recorded a few songs.

Started doing a business that I'm passionate about. Unfortunately I'm now up to my waist in the oil slick... but they pay well. Makes the business part a feasible indulgence

The oil is a cruel mistress. "I'll never work in the oil industry as I hate it" :- Moose, July 2011; "Yeah, I work for an oil company" Moose, August 2011. I'm so proud of myself.

It's so easily done. Once they lure you in it is very hard to move out of it. The "rewards" packages just get bigger.

Yeah, I just got my first pay cheque today. I'm just going to go and buy some gold and eat it. Aren't the poor frivolous and amusing? Har har. Now, which Porsche is mine again? (generic office chat :( )

Yeah, I just got my first pay cheque today. I'm just going to go and buy some gold and eat it. Aren't the poor frivolous and amusing? Har har. Now, which Porsche is mine again? (generic office chat :( )

That's pretty much it.

I walk to work though so just leave the porche there.

I just got my first "have you got grass?" chat at the coffee machine at the new place I work. I hate that conversation starter... at my old work that was high up on the regular lunchtime chats. Cutting the grass and gardening or football or the odd dog walk/car washing combo. Never felt quite at home there. I leave my car to get dirty so people can draw on it.

Get the rest of the flat done up (especially the kitchen) with a view to selling!

Got most of the flat done. Not kitchen though, as I've been sorting out all the communal areas. I fail.

Keep up all the footy and squash.

Job done. Still shite at both mind you.

Make more of an effort to visit friends in London etc.

Check. London / Edinburgh / Glasgow / Australia all done this year.

Get off the booze a bit more (January off this year as usual).

January was indeed off the booze. And had July off. Still had some stinking hangovers mind you.... and I take longer to recover.

• 1 year later...