aberdeen-music

Race to Infinity - your vote / support for Aberdeen needed

Lets try and rid Aberdeen of slow internet.

Take a moment to cast you vote for Aberdeen in 'The Race To Infinity' - your vote will help to improve the chances of superfast fibre broadband being rolled out to homes across The Deen & Shire. It doesn't matter who you are with, AOL, Talk Talk, Sky, Be/O2, Zen, Plusnet, BT etc. It benefits all !

Visit BT - The Race to Infinity to cast your vote. Pass it on thank you :)

As i said it doesn't matter which ISP your through.

BT has to allow them to use thier FTTC system so all providers will have access to 40 meg down, 10 meg up and tiny pings!

The i3 thing will take longer to get off the ground as it doesn't have government funding and are not allowed to use BT ducting so provides a lot of issues in Aberdeen that are hard to over come. It was a problem for Aberdeen Cable/Atlantic cable and they had permission most of the time.

So get voting as Aberdeen is WAY down the tables and only your vote can get us up there. 9 days to go, vote on behalf of friends if you have to!

Are you happy with your upload speed and i'm guessing your not a gamer?

Hopefully this is the main reason BT and the government are spending billions on this infrastructure - to make it easier for some 10 year old American kid to shout "Oh my gahd, you're such a fuckin' RETARD" down your headset at you.

Obviously not!! Its about future proofing our internet needs for the next 10 years.

8meg is good until you want high def movies, have more than one or two people using a connection or like me being a videographer try to upload something!

If your fine with Aberdeen being left behind the rest of the country as other cities get upgrades and the demand for better speeds increases as the internet 'experience' gets more vivid go ahead, moan about it otherwise just shut up and vote.

Eh? What? The only reason Aberdeen is perceived to be left behind is due to the distance it is from Glasgow/Edinburgh.

Remember at the moment Aberdeen have some of the biggest oil companies with offices, I really can't see them letting the city be left behind.

Also Aberdeen was one of the first cities to get 21CN at the exchanges.

Sure some of the surrounding areas of the city have really bad speeds, but you find the same in Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Obviously not!! Its about future proofing our internet needs for the next 10 years.

8meg is good until you want high def movies, have more than one or two people using a connection or like me being a videographer try to upload something!

If your fine with Aberdeen being left behind the rest of the country as other cities get upgrades and the demand for better speeds increases as the internet 'experience' gets more vivid go ahead, moan about it otherwise just shut up and vote.

I'll support your cause when you learn the difference between "your" and "you're". Ta. :up:

The i3 thing will take longer to get off the ground as it doesn't have government funding and are not allowed to use BT ducting so provides a lot of issues in Aberdeen that are hard to over come. It was a problem for Aberdeen Cable/Atlantic cable and they had permission most of the time.

That remains to be seen. Fibre CIty already rolled it out in Bournemouth, retrofitting the sewers with their network. Dundee will be the nearest city in Scotland their project is to be implemented in so keep an eye on that. I know they've had some problems with the water companies in England but if Scottish Water and the city planners give it the go ahead, we could see FTTH available as well as BT's FTTC solutions. True competition for broadband provision in our area, a fine thing for consumers :up:

Are you happy with your upload speed and i'm guessing your not a gamer?

I am a gamer, but when you are as good as me you don't need low pings.

But more seriously, I am perfectly happy with playing with a 20 ms ping.

Question for you, do you game? If it is an XBOX360, is it a wireless connection? Because if it is, you can't talk about being a gamer - as if you were going for low pings it would have been wired into your router.

people don't realise that some monitors/TVs can add as much as 50ms lag to the display update also. games compensate for high pings, these days, with mixed results but I can still have a decent enough game of COD, late night when Americans are on, with my average broadband.

But more seriously, I am perfectly happy with playing with a 20 ms ping.

Question for you, do you game? If it is an XBOX360, is it a wireless connection? Because if it is, you can't talk about being a gamer - as if you were going for low pings it would have been wired into your router.

people don't realise that some monitors/TVs can add as much as 50ms lag to the display update also. games compensate for high pings, these days, with mixed results but I can still have a decent enough game of COD, late night when Americans are on, with my average broadband.

Are you talking about erections?

What the fuck is a ping?

it's basically the time it takes for a packet of data to reach another computer and back to your's again, measured in ms. the higher the ping, the longer it takes. in gaming, low pings are generally desirable as it means the game data is being updated to your computer faster, which could be movements of characters, firing data etc. potentially giving you an advantage over other players or at least not putting you at a disadvantage.