aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Celebrities!

Sue Denim..

Stripey' date=' I don't like your broad generalisation of 'everyone in Aberdeen' that you use every fucking time (see myself and Messrs Officer for exceptions to the rule) but I cannot disagree with the sentiment.

Being 'friendly' with people who are mentally ill and then using them purely to get 'funny' stories is just sick.

Stalking them is even worse.

Anybody up for a mass 'stalk Logan round Aberdeen' event, and see how he fucking likes it?[/quote']

I agree that stalking, harrassing, annoying and bullying the "local celebs" we have mentioned is wrong and 99 % of the population would agree with me.

But mentioning them and discussing them on a message board is not a crime or problem unless the libel laws are infringed. Information about X or Y can help to inform the population about the problems they have. This may lead to some more "Big Issues" being sold this week or someone becoming interested in what parkinsons / alcoholohism / mental health problems actually are and how they affect people. Who knows someone may even donate some old clothes to Shelter or buy something from their shop ?

So dont automatically take the moral high ground Stripey (or who-ever) unless you are some sort of preacher who stands outside M&S..... A sense of humour is a great thing to have !

Dave

Guest allsystemsfail
It's not about a flame war' date=' I am disgusted by this type of ignorant behaviour and have been all my life, as any adult human being ought to be.

You guys are laughing at people who have MS, parkinsons, schizophrenia, alcoholism, drug addiction, the homeless, and whatever other problems these people have, and it fucking makes me livid.

You should be fucking ashamed of yourselves. I shouldn't even have to explain this to you, obviously you are all just arseholes.[/quote']

Sure, while I believe some of the talk here has been fairly harmless, such as the talk about McKays, I've also found some of it offensive. For instance, the talk of the girl who sits on the corner of Belmont Street - saying that she looks like an alien. That kind of thing just isn't acceptable.

Guest tv tanned

Dave

I don't think you've read some of the stuff that has been posted in this thread.

I think you'll find it's much less an 'information centre' for mental health problems, and more a case of lampooning less fortunate individuals. Maybe some do not mean it to be that way, but a lot of this is rather condescending.

I don't think this is going to do very much to 'inspire' people...

Being 'friendly' with people who are mentally ill and then using them purely to get 'funny' stories is just sick.

I'm going on the assumption that this remark is at least partially targeted at me regarding Garth.

Are you qualified in some way to determine mental health? Having once been mentally ill many years ago (BTW it's nothing to be ashamed of)' date=' I would argue that NOBODY can accurately diagnose mental illness.

Let me state quite categorically that Garth is certainly NOT mentally ill. He is an eccentric. He leads an alternative lifestyle. He is of perfectly normal intelligence. If you ask him, he will lucidly and rationally explain the reasonings that underpin his lifestyle choices. Much of this thread is a celebration of eccentrics.

When I'm in the kebab shop with Garth and he starts raking out the bin, then yes it cracks me up. He knows this... I suspect he does it A) because he's being true to himself and doesn't feel he should compromise his behaviour just because it differs from mine, and B) because he knows it embaresses me and he likes to get a reaction.

When I describe the guy from MacKay as insane I hope that nobody else has taken that comment literally. He to is just an eccentric. No big deal! These people make the world a brighter place. Hey - I wear the same fuckin clothes every day... we all have our little quirks :)

Stalking them is even worse.

It depends boths on the intent and the outcome. I realise you might not understand that comment, but every action should be judged by both it's intention and it's result. If both are positive then the action is a good one. If either are negative then the action is a bad one. LVX.

If there is a requirement to debate humour, comedy, and political correctness then lets start a new thread because this isn't the place.

Guest tv tanned

don't be so self important to assume I was talking about you, it was a general statement.

If your guilty conscience assumes it was targetting you, fair enough, but it wasn't...

-edit- oh, and I know mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of, I never insinuated otherwise, I know people who have had mental health problems, and my mother is an experienced care worker with the mentally disabled.

Equally though, I'm sure you will agree, it's nothing to be laughed at, or used for the purpose of exploitation in order to amuse one's peers.

Guest RomanChoke
REITERATION! You fucks make me puke. Would you chase these people down the street laughing at them and taking the piss? No' date=' because you'd feel like a bunch of cunts if you did. People like you belong in the fucking dark ages, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves, but you aren't are you? This thread is a prime example of one of the worst qualities of people round here.[/quote']

Who wouldn't chase these people down the street!!?? People with moral thats who. Lets face it. Its part of our heritage to chase the less fortunate and mentally fucked round on the streets. Buy a camcorder, a small taser and give it a go Stripey. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I feel kinda sorry for Martin coz some other skaters rip the piss out of him but he seems a nice guy' date=' just misunderstood.[/quote']

That's what I think too... he speaks to me when I meet him in the street and I feel a bit sorry for the fact that him and his brother are so fucked up... I heard that they were abused really badly as kids, it's not their fault that they turned out with malformed social skills. It's more of a shame than anything.

Equally though' date=' I'm sure you will agree, it's nothing to be laughed at, or used for the purpose of exploitation in order to amuse one's peers.[/quote']

Actually err... no. IMO Humour is the act of laughing in the face of lifes injustices, adversities, sadnesses, and absurdities. As someone else has already opinioned humour acts to highlight those issues. It makes light of uncomfortable truths that may otherwise never see the light of day. The late Bill Hicks once stated: the purpose of the enlightened comedian is to sweeten the bitter pills.

From a metaphysical perspective, whether an act is positive, neutral, or negative is determined by the intent, result, and application. For an action to be positive the intent is positive, the result is positive, and the application is internal. For an action to be neutral the intent is positive, the result is positive, and the application is external. Any other combination is deemed negative (evil).

Do-gooders and devotees of political correctness seldom consider the potential results of their actions and the implications of applying them externally.

Please can we get on with the thread now? If anyone is finding it offensive then please refrain from clicking on it! If anyone wants to enter debate the thread then let's do it on another thread, and post the link here. I'm game :)

Guest Stripey
Actually err... no. IMO Humour is the act of laughing in the face of lifes injustices' date=' adversities, sadnesses, and absurdities. As someone else has already opinioned humour acts to highlight those issues. It makes light of uncomfortable truths that may otherwise never see the light of day. The late Bill Hicks once stated: the purpose of the enlightened comedian is to sweeten the bitter pills.

[/quote']

What a load of shit. Humour isn't laughing at OTHER PEOPLES adversities.

For the record, I think stalking people 'for a laugh' is totally deplorable, while on the other hand, stories about people dressing up as ninjas (no matter what the circumstances are...and yes, I'm including those "ninja" attacks in the Congo a little while back) are inherently funny. The mathematical equation is as follows:

Ninja (jumping + traffic) = TEH LOL!!!11!

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not going to be made to feel "evil" because I found that story amusing (definitley because ninjas are one of my "laugh buttons", situated next to my penis) but to see the mentally ill as nothing but a source of amusement is really pretty shitty. I think Flash seems to have the right idea. He understands that some of these people have sad stories but doesn't see the point of denying that sometimes life is pretty funny.

I think this thread started out fairly innocently and has went a little dark in a couple of places. Just keep it light. Think about why you're posting stuff. Blarg.

That's what I think too... he speaks to me when I meet him in the street and I feel a bit sorry for the fact that him and his brother are so fucked up... I heard that they were abused really badly as kids' date=' it's not their fault that they turned out with malformed social skills. It's more of a shame than anything.[/quote']

yeah thats what i heard too, i think its a shame when people make fun of people with mental/physical problems, its not exactly as if they asked to be that way, its not their fault at all. Just put yourself in that position, being stared at in the streets and people talking about you and laughing at you all the time. Some people should take a good look at themselves and realise how lucky they are

Guest Stripey
Please click here to continue this debate:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15649

*sigh*, I don't give a fuck. You find it funny to laugh at other peoples misfortunes, ergo you are an unpleasant person, case closed.

My original point was not about getting on a PC high-horse, but the simple fact that this thread is an example of the gossipy backwards village inbred childish sniggering backstabber fuckwit mentality that is one of the worst qualities of so many people around here, an attitude problem that decent, mature people manage to leave behind them in the school playground where it belongs.

Guest The Reverend Z. Munch
YAY!!

I saw Scavanger-Man today!! (y'know' date=' fro like hair carrying the most random things with his head bopping about like those child toy thingies that um...bop)

he appeared to be carrying blinds!! Probably the biggest thing I've ever seen him carry! He was crossing from um...where that new building is being built. Near Kitty Brewster. He almost ran into the side of my bus. I knocked on the window and waved frantically. He didn't seem to notice tho! :(

But yay! He has been my favourite Aberdeen Celeb for over a year now! I love him!

If anyone is wondering where he stops, it's near about half way down Crown Street. Opposite the Morning Noon And Night shop. A back alley near there. There's a comunity building or something. That's where I lost him when me and Vik tracked him down there. All the way from like, the top of Union Street or something. Funniest thing ever. We left out a half full thing of coke from Burger King on a bin, however he seemed more interested in the mop that was in it. Oh well! I'll keep you updated on his latest escapades! ^_^[/b']

You know something?, you're gonna get one almighty scare when that guy clocks you taking the piss out of him and ends up giving you a fucking kicking for being an irritating little prick following him around and laughing at him because his misfortunes in life have somehow become your own personal amusement...

It must be really comforting to know that you don't have to live the kind of life he has to live eh?...

Christ give the guy a break, not only does he have to root around in bins so he can find something to eat or sell, he also has to contend with some small-minded twat like yourself pointing him out to his mates so they can share a girly giggle with one another?...

Maybe you should give it some thought to what kind of problems that guy has gone through which has caused him to go sleep in alleyways and which make him scavenge for food in the first place before following him around so you can have a laugh at his expense...

Nobody wants to have to sleep in piss-soaked alleyways or beg for change on the streets or have to buy drink to keep themselves warm to keep out the cold...a large percentage of homeless people don't want to be in the dire grim circumstances they're in and it doesn't make their lives any more brighter when ignorant cunts like you are taking the piss out of them in the street....

• 2 months later...