aberdeen-music

Unbroken Silence

J

I remember seeing a couple of the X-Certs' first gigs. They Dammit by Blink 182. I didn't mind cos the rest of their set was so good. They also, on one occasion, did a 30 second hardcore song which I've not seen em play since. I mind about that. Well Murray, what's your excuse??

NB, there was apoint to this post originally, though I kinda lost sight of it. I'm sure you'll be able to find it in there somewhere...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you quit your first band after one or two proper gigs, you're probably going to jump boats all the time due to having done it before... nae cool. Onion Terror have been on/off jamming for almost 3 years now; and not once have i thought about giving up, just takes a while to find your own sound (2 years for us) YUS!

Stick in, i'll be at one of the upcoming gigs and you'll get another review from moi :up:

I know what you mean about the dave grohl style your gf plays.:p

Ive already said my opinions on what I seen(as I did catch your set) but Ill post it up here.

It was quite a tight set which is good for your first porper gig. Some songs I thought were bland but others(such as "one last chance" I think its called) was really good. Drummer was excellent and kept the beat going.

I think Aaron(your singer) needs to do something with his voice as I feel its too monotone.

Also, include your other guitarist ross in the songs as its pointless having 2 guitarists if you are onyl gonna use him for one or two songs.

Hmm... Im going to be honest on this one.......

I thought the bass (good to see another band with a bassist that can play with his fingers) and drum work was really good but sadly the rest was rather abysmal, rather than just put you down im going to try and be constructive with the critisism:

-Your singer needs to work on his voice, get his to push his voice more so that it gets more edge and a wider variety of tones.

-If you are going to do a cover then add something to it, cover a song that isnt straight up rock (or pop-rock your case), rework a classic from another genre, then you can show that your not just filling your set, you are adding something to the original.

-Try not to wear your influences on your sleeves so much, try and add something to the pop rock which is becoming a rather stale genre.

-Get your second guitarist to do something, he should really be the one doing the solos but if he can't then he should at least do some solid rythm lines so he isn't just standing there.

-Work on the guitar solos, they were rather sketchy, get the bass player to do some bass solos, that would be interesting to see.

-Less homosexual jokes, if your going to make jokes in between songs then vary the subjects and engage the crowd.

Sorry if I sound harsh but I hope that you will take the critisism the right way and work to improve rather than giving up. You had some promising riffs and you managed to shrug off a few mistakes while playing live without panicking which is always a good quality in a band.

go to your own thread!

I think it was Norman's Fetish best gig yet for sure. Very atmpospheric. Great to hear Christina doing backing vocals as both Rachel and Christina have amazing voices and shouldnt be put to waste. You can still notice the band lack some confidence when they play but that will grow the more you play. The stand out song would have to be the one with Christina singing main vocals. Just great to see a packed kef in complete silence. The whole clapping thing was great too.

I think what needs to be improved on is just more confidence and more crowd interaction.

Yeh Fetish as i wrote before are a really talented bunch and i enjoyed watching the set :)

And Skamikazee that was the whole point of this thread so thank you for your opinion i may consider adding a bass solo or even a drum solo there was no guitar solos the only solo you heard was from a cover and any comment on back vocals :)

Fell free to write your comments on here for the up and comming events

11th Aug - Drakes 3 doors

3rd Sept - Drummonds 2 doors

Come on it aint askin for loads of cash just pop down :)

(we may get our own forum if we fill tis thread lol)

And Skamikazee that was the whole point of this thread so thank you for your opinion i may consider adding a bass solo or even a drum solo there was no guitar solos the only solo you heard was from a cover and any comment on back vocals :)

No, no, no. NEVER do a drum solo, unless you're Motorhead, Guns n'Roses or Motley Crue.