aberdeen-music

open mics?

Indigo_Soul

hey' date=' just wondering what time open mic nights start on a sunday, is there a lot of bands that turn up? and is any band welcome?

cheers[/quote']

Hi, there's something here that's worth airing... Please read this carefully, and be aware that it doesn't just apply to your band.

I am aware that your band played the bar before we took over (in a previous incarnation). I'm also aware that you like the bar. I'm also aware that you'd like a gig in the bar. I've seen your band, and they are good. ...

BUT there is a problem. On the occasions I've seen your band, they have attracted what I'd term a localised following. What I mean by that are large numbers of people that I don't generally see attending other gigs. People that have some relationship with the band, or friends of the band that may extend beyond the music. The problem is that this can be very intimidating both for the barstaff and for the punters who attend the bar the other 51 weeks of the year.

Almost every unpleasant incident we've had in the past 2+ years has involved bands with a localised following. The bands themselves have generally been nice people - as are the members of the 'following' when appraoched on their own. The problems start when the crowd mentality kicks in. The one for all and all for one thing.

A few months ago, the last time EVER that we hosted a gig where the band 'brought along' a localised following, two guys began a heated argument that looked like it was going to kick off. Laura asked them to cool down and they both turned on her, threatening to "punch her face in" and "trash the place". These people are aware that when they are en-mass, it becomes hard to deal with them.

Since then we have operated a policy where the promoters must avoid booking any bands - however talented - that attract this type of following. For one thing, we have enough punters coming along not to require an influx of another 100 strangers (most of whom know each other). Also, every band with a localised following is convinced that theirs is different, that theirs is 'OK'. They NEVER are. Reassurances don't pay for the damage. That's the bottom line.

I hope you see why I've posted this. It's not intended in a nasty way. It's just something worth considering. I'm being candid with you. We love hosting gigs but we don't like being invaded.

Come along to the jam by all means, I'd look forward to seeing you play again... but just don't broadcast the fact. Let our natural crowd get to know you and appreciate your music.

Cheers.

I kind of understand what your trying to say, we do have a pretty dedicated following, although this is great, there's no harm in attracting new fans. The purpose of us playing the open mic nights is due to us having a new lineup. and the plan was for just the band members to come along with no support. basically just to get some experience/practice with the new band.

cheers.

I kind of understand what your trying to say' date=' we do have a pretty dedicated following, although this is great, there's no harm in attracting new fans. The purpose of us playing the open mic nights is due to us having a new lineup. and the plan was for just the band members to come along with no support. basically just to get some experience/practice with the new band.

cheers.[/quote']

Great - that's what we're there for, I'll look forward to it.