aberdeen-music

Xbox 360 4GB or 250GB?

Moose

I'm thinking of getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas from Santa. I use the one in my flat, that I will soon be with out, solely for playing Fifa 11 and occasionally shooting at baddies. I have no interest in storing movies on it, just a bit of computer gaming.

Is 4GB enough to save your progress in a few games and what not or does it serve only as an arcade like device?

4GB is enough room for game saves certainly. It's good to have space though, as you can download game demos for free, but they are a big.

Yeah game demos can be anything from a few hundred megabytes to 2GB, The fifa 11 clocked in about 1.9GB I think?

Extra space is also useful for installing games (about 6GB each) and if you buy or play any of the games you can download in the arcade. Some recent ones like Comic Jumper and the Lara Croft one have been over 2GB.

I'd recommend you have a look in the Arcade btw, some fantastic games available for not many MSP. Also they have offers for gold members where you can occasionally get great deals. Picked up Portal:Still Alive for 400 MSP a couple of weeks back (although not played it yet)

I'd pay extra for the bigger one. More than you'll ever need, but you might find 4gb get's you no where if you download demos and maybe a few arcade games.

That was my thinking but I literally can't afford the extra 50-60. I'm already meeting Santa half way with regards to the 150 worth of Elf labour and parts that go in to the machine. If I got the 250GB version, I'd have to shell out 130 towards it!! I have a girlfriend, parents and brothers to think about as well.

What a dilemma....

I suppose I could get the 4GB een, then get an extra 20GB hardrive in the future if need be. I'm not a massive "gamer" (I believe the term is) and I'm not overly fussed about demos; or am I? Hmm.

That was my thinking but I literally can't afford the extra 50-60. I'm already meeting Santa half way with regards to the 150 worth of Elf labour and parts that go in to the machine. If I got the 250GB version, I'd have to shell out 130 towards it!! I have a girlfriend, parents and brothers to think about as well.

What a dilemma....

I suppose I could get the 4GB een, then get an extra 20GB hardrive in the future if need be. I'm not a massive "gamer" (I believe the term is) and I'm not overly fussed about demos; or am I? Hmm.

You could always buy a preowned console from game etc. 1 Year warranty which is as good as a brand new one! Think they're selling the 120GB Elites for 120 ish second hand? The newer consoles are smaller and quieter though, and changed the fan to stop overheating to make them less RROD prone. Although that's never been a problem for me. I've had my 40GB arcade for 2 1/2 years and not even had a YROD.

Also it seems they've changed the connection for the hard drives on the new models, so unless they've released separate hard drives for the new models, the old ones won't work.

Aye, my main qualm with getting a preowned one is the huge possibility of RROD and not being able to get it fixed by Microsoft. I think you get a 3 or 4 year warranty on the new ones. However, I hear it isn't exactly rocket science to fix this problem yourself with limited know-how and a smouldering kit?

Its quite hard to find definite answers as to whether the 20GB add ons work on the new consoles as well but most forums say its easy enough to do. I hope they mean with the brand new consoles though.

The old HDs are not officially compatible with the new versions of the 360.

You might not use the movies and download demos just now but it might be useful in the future. Also there are some cracking games on Xbox live arcade that you could be missing out on if you run out of space.

So do people think this would be an ok deal:

Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Console - Xbox 360 - GAME.co.uk

It is the same one my flatmate has had for 3 years and we've only had RROD problem once and a friend was able to fix it up. It also comes with a 1 year warranty, like keeno said. Probably better this than paying an extra 30 for a new 4GB one?

Who knew buying a toy could be so complicated...

Wouldn't the warranty only cover the original owner? Might want to check that before purchase.

There is a lot of ambiguity around this. It seems that they'll let you send back just about any xbox with RROD, but why then would Game provide a 1 year guarantee? For other problems?