aberdeen-music

What's your recording setup and method?

Chris

I'm glad RockAustin didn't mention to you that he was selling one!

I'm glad you are enjoying it! It's actually one of two that I had. Randomly ended up with two JP8000 so you were both winners!

Send me some links to some of the music you are making with it once you've got stuff your happy with!

I'm glad RockAustin didn't mention to you that he was selling one! I am now the proud owner and it is an amazing machine...

I'm happy to say I also have a JP8000 now too, also from someone on here! :)

It's awesome, swapped it for my unused 16/8/2 soundcraft spirit studio desk about a month ago...

The internal battery needed replacing ('battery low' & 'memory damaged' messages on startup), but now that's sorted (including a factory reset/recalibrate the pitch bend/mod wheel/ribbon controller), it's like brand new.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm happy to say I also have a JP8000 now too, also from someone on here! :)

It's awesome, swapped it for my unused 16/8/2 soundcraft spirit studio desk about a month ago...

The internal battery needed replacing ('battery low' & 'memory damaged' messages on startup), but now that's sorted (including a factory reset/recalibrate the pitch bend/mod wheel/ribbon controller), it's like brand new.

Didn't realize that the battery had run dry man, sorry about that! It had been lying dormant for some time I guess!

• 2 months later...

I'm awaiting delivery of an Akai Miniak (after a few failed attempts at getting a minikorg on ebay, the Akai has better polyphony anyway). Any of you synth users have any tips for how to get the most of it? Links to some good background reading?

I've bought a midi-USB cable to get it hooked into Reaper as a midi control but I'm mostly wanting to use it for it's own sounds. I'm a total synth n00b so any tips would be good.

• 3 months later...

Just bought this cunt recently

item_gallery_19_2359.jpg

it's the Holy fucking Grail of home recording. I have a set of cheap drum mics, mic the kit and plug it into inputs 1-7, guitar into #8. You have a headphone out for monitoring. The gain knobs control recording volume, the sliders control monitoring. You record all 8 tracks simultaneously to an SD card, you can then just jump them into a DAW and BOOM, you have multi tracked recordings. Overlay bass, vox, redo the guitar if needed and you're done.

I've always said drums are the WORST part of home recording. If you record the whole kit to one channel, it means unless it's perfectly mixed you're fucked. This way you can correct individual beats on single drums without too much effort. Also means you can send the full lot to a "professional" to mix and master it and will end up with pretty fucking meaty results. Best ~£200 I've ever spent.

I'm actually considering whoring myself out - charging say £10 an hour to come to toms (or whereever) with this thing and a set of drum mics and recording drums+guitar demos, give the band the wav files for it and they can then do the rest of the overlaying with something simple like a UX2 themselves. Would anyone be up for such a service? I know if I could have, I would!!

xx

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Been reading back through this thread as I've just got a new laptop for recording with and thought I'd bump it to see what folks are using now. Have you changed your setup/ upgraded etc?

My very basic setup is a tascam usb interface(which is borrowed) into reaper, an SM57, SM58 and an akg c3000.

My full recording set-up is as follows:

Computer:

Mac Mini 2012

Interface:

Line 6 UX2

Software:

Logic Pro 9

Native Instruments Komplete 9 Ulitimate

Pod Farm 2.0

Various other plug-ins

Hardware:

Laney Ironheart Studio 15

Native Instruments Maschine Mk2

Roland JV 2080

Korg NanoKey2

Microphones:

Shure SM57

Shure SM58

Guitars:

Gibson SG Special Faded

BC Rich Virgin

Fernandes (No idea what model)

I've also got various guitar pedals.

The items in italics i'm looking to upgrade in the future. I'm particularly looking at a Synth that I could use as a controller for the JV 2080 and also as a contorller for soft-synths like Massive and Monark etc. I've been looking at the MicroKorg and the Arturua Microbrute so far but don't know much about how i'd link the midi elements up so that I get the most out of what I have at the moment (particularly the JV 2080 as it's sitting unsused at the moment). I'm reluctant to get something that's just a controller though as I'd like it to have some standalone functions too.

Interface-wise I'm probably going to get one of the rackmount Focusrite Saffire's at some point.

I've had a few upgrades since this was last posted in:

Computer

Macbook Pro

Interface

Universal Audio - Apollo 16

Focusrite 2802 8 channel desk with DAW control

Software

Cubase 6.5

UAD powered Plugins - mixture of eqs, compression, room/microphone simulations and effects 

NI Komplete 6 

Various interesting iphone apps

Hardware

Elektron - Octatrack, Analog 4, Rytm and a borrowed Machinedrum

Virus TI virtual analogue (but a bit more than that), Teenage Engineering OP-1 (digital synth, drum machine, sampler, 4 track recorder, effects)

Analogue Synths - Korg MS20 mini, Arturia Minibrute, Moog MG-1, Juno 6, Dark Energy, Leploop

FML Really Nice Levelling Amplifier

Eventide Space

Strymon Timeline

OTO Biscuit - bit crusher, delay, step sequencer analogue filter

Nord Electro 3

Fender Rhodes + Fender twin reverb head and 2*12 cab

Got a few other bits and bobs - midi keyboard, maschine mk1

Microphones

SM58

sE 2200a ii condenser

sE R1 ribbon microphone

I mostly write and play electronic ambient type stuff now so from that list I am set up to write using hardware sequencers/sampler/synth setup and record elements using soft synths/piano/Rhodes to input back into the sampler. Everything then gets tracked back into Cubase for mixing (when I get round to recording).  I find there is a lot of freedom when writing like this and end up with more finished pieces of work plus I can actually play them live.  In the past I had a really bad habit of starting something in the DAW, getting bored with it and moving on never to return and complete it.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Computers:

- MacBook Pro (i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB 7400RPM HDD)

- 1st Gen iMac (Intel core duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB 7400RPM HDD)

DAW:

- Pro Tools 11 on the MacBook

- Ableton Live 8 on the iMac

Audio Interface:

- Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

- AVID MBox Mini

Control Surface:

- Digidesign 003

Monitoring:

- KRK Rokit 5s

- Sennheiser HD380 Pro

Outboard gear:

- ART Studio V3 tube preamp

- Radial Engineering Pro-RMP Reamper

- Roland RE-201 Space Echo

Guitar Amps:

- Marshall 18W Bluesbreaker DIY build

- Linear Concord head from the 60s

- Jet City JCA20H

- Zenta CD-6SD

Guitar Cabinet:

- Jet City JetStream ISO Cab

Analogue Mixer:

- Teac Model 2A

Reel to Reel:

- Akai 4000DB

Microphones:

- Shure SM57

- Shure SM58

- AKG C2000B

- AKG D190E

- Behringer C2 (matched pair)

I have a pretty generous collection of plug-ins including the waves Gold bundle, Scheps 73 and the SSL 4000 Collection.

Generally I use XLN audio's Addictive Drums 2 VI for drum sounds, I find its really flexible after you get 2 or 3 of the add on kits and you can bounce the dry sounds to audio tracks in PT and use other plug ins to process the sounds.

I tend to track bass through the ART Studio V3, It's not a great pre, but it give a little more oopmf to your signal in comparison to the pres on the Pro 40 (although they aren't at all bad)

With electric guitars I'll get a DI track using the ART, then I'll use the Radial Reamper to send the DI track through whatever pedals/amp I want to use. I have my combos and the ISO cab in the spare bedroom and have the amp heads under my desk.

This set up is great as I can monitor guitar sounds through my monitors and adjust amp settings to taste before committing.

I use my space echo for the reverb, I don't have many reverb plug ins, and none of them compare to this unit (in my opinion)

As for the reel to reel, this barely sees any use. Originally I would run my drums through it quite hot and it did some nice things, but I now have the Eddie Kramer Master Tape plug in, which is far more flexible than the Akai. I've used it as a tape delay as well, but as a one speed machine its not even remotely adjustable.

• 1 year later...