aberdeen-music

Guitar set up

brucea

Have a 1978 Yamaha SA2100 Japanese built (traced the serial number) and it needs a professional setup. Intonation, pickups tuned, new nut etc...bit of a buzz on 7ths that needs investigated.

Who's recommended in Aberdeen for this?

Am thinking of taking it down to Guitar-Guitar in Glasgow becuase I've heard the guys down there is decent, but that was just from one person (who isn't that serious about his playing so maybe not the best guy to use). Our head office is in Glasgow but I don't really want to be lugging it there.

Are there any good local luthiers who do this kind of thing?

Opinions, but even better real experience, gratefully received.

Thanks Guys

Yep - not sure that is the right term for it - but it sounded right. Apparently you need some gear to do it right.

screwdriver? o_O

edit: I never realised there was a correct pickup heght, I've always just set them to preference in terms of the output or postition. I burried the pickups on my burns to make them flush with the scratch plate as I kept hitting them with the pick and causing pops/clicks. The thing still sounds the same, maybe there is a fraction less output but nothing that I can hear, I definatly not having to increase the volume on my amps.

I think it's geting the balance right across the strings - making sure one string does not sound more than the others

You can also set them up to a spec...I want a little stronger base and treble but slightly less midrange.

Graham - great call on Strung OUt - had a look at them - goign to call them when I know when my next mis-management meeting in Glasgow is scheduled (should be this week or next)

I stagger the heights of the screws on my humbucker s to try and match the radius of my guitar neck. Like so...\ / \ / \ / Obviously the middle two would by slightly higher than the two outside ones. It works out some like this..."E" \ then about 3/4 turn out of the "A" / and another 3/4 for the "D" \. The "G" string would be 1/2 turn from the "D" string, then the opposite for the B and E string. It might be that you need to turn them more than 3/4 etc but try and find out. also, by being at an angle, the screw picks up more vibration and if the slut is directly below the string.

Of course this could just be me thinking it sounds better because I've just done a "free" tweak to my guitar. Try it and find out for yourself and let me know.

This was brought to you by britheguy guitar tips. If someone trys to charge you for this advice please report him to authorities