aberdeen-music

Bio, Photos, Influences

Oedo 808

Could you explain to me how stating influences increases meaning and broaden understanding? I'd hardly call not knowing a band/act's influences being ignorant. When you're listening to their own output it's completely irrelevant.

I already did. Context.

Lack of knowledge is ignorance. If a band does not include influences it leaves everyone save for the band themselves or those with pre-existing and relevant knowledge ignorant or lacking in the knowledge of their influences. Hardly ignorance? It is precisely ignorance.

A thing I like about bands stating influences is it has introduced me to bands I might not of necessarily discovered otherwise. For example, if I like a band and see that they are influenced by a band that I have not heard before I would be inclined to check that band out. I discovered Red House Painters this way after seeing them listed as an influence on Aereogramme's myspace page. I doubt I would of ever heard of them otherwise and they are now one of my favourite bands.

The quote "far flung depths of the north-east" makes my balls shrivel up inside me and is pretty much the sole reason I prefer not to have a bio on a band page. I might quote some press or something, but writing your own makes me nauseus. I think being modest (as previously stated) about the band, the members and it's output can do as much, if not more good for you than the third-person, self-hyping garbage that a lot of bands come out with.

Citation of influences has spoilt as many bands as it has gotten me into. So many times I've dug a band and then realised they've just totally ripped off one of their influences. That's my problem, but I don't see why you should spoonfeed a listener like they are some sort of technically inept moron. They are on your page so, by default, they should have a rough idea of what your about. - especially back when Myspace was real popular. Even if they don't know what you're about, why do they need to know? I don't understand this. Even if it is, by definition, ignorance. You said it in your first post, let the music do the talking. Obviously this presents a bit of a cyclical argument.

Ultimately, I think the demise of Myspace and the move toward using the likes of Bandcamp and Soundcloud in connection with Facebook proves the point I am quite badly trying to make. Clean page - album art, and tunes - no shitty bio, no 'top mates', no sluts trying to get you to comment on their photos.

• Upvote 2

If a band do want to go a little bit further than releasing an EP themselves, then they need a bio and to reference influences. God forbid, they may even have to have some photographs. Personally, I like to read a bands influences and see what they look like while I'm streaming their songs. And I like to know who their "top friends" are, because they my actually be good.

Ambition and effort are not mutually exclusive.

May as well go on and talk out my arse for a bit

My website is foxhunting . I don't have photos of me. Why don't I have photos? I've had one gig and nobody there had a camera. I'm not getting my mate to photograph me with a guitar in my bedroom either, it just doesn't really reflect my music (in my opinion, of course) and frankly the only photograph that would is live - and if you haven't played live, where the hell are you getting a photo from?

I guarantee if I listed influences they'd be the same as everyone else in my genre, so what's the point? It'd be a list of favourite bands, for the most part, anyway.

And I thought the idea of album art was to provide artistic context for music? If you want to see their faces, see them live.