aberdeen-music

If Qatar can host a World Cup...

Oedo 808

Not enough money for bribes was the correct answer.

If Qatar can fit the fans in so could we. Once they build all 8 of their stadiums there'll barely be enough room to squeeze a team bus through them.

Realistically I think Scotland would have to team up with another country, I don't think a joint bid with Ireland would be too far fetched. Now Landsdowne Road has been done up they have 2 large stadiums which would add to our 4 and only require building 1 more in each. Joint bids seem to be looked down on a little bit now though.

Scotland may have sectarian problems, but Russia is extremely racist and homosexuality is illegal in Qatar so maybe our bigotry would be seen as a plus.

But Fifa would have to accommodate the host nations being seeded in the tournament. I think giving automatic byes to England, Scotland, Wales, Norn Irn and EIRE would be pushing it. I don't think they'd allow it.

I fully believe the World Cup/Euros should be hosted in one city or county/region, like the Olympics. The idea of hosting it in huge countries like the USA, Australia and Russia seems illogical, especially for travelling fans. USA 94 certainly didn't really take into the consideration the travelling supporter, going to one game at Giants stadium, and then another down at the Astrodome, or wherever. Even travelling from St James Park to the Emirates sounds like a horrible jaunt, so just think how bad its going to be when it's a couple of thousand miles across different time zones.

Wouldn't that involve automatic qualification for FIVE teams though?

Good point! Just making suggestions without thinking really. We could have an extra group stage to see which home nations qualify! That makes no sense.

Just in Scotland then, aberdeen could put in an extra bid to have the final at pittodrie.

A Scotland/England bid wouldn't be my first choice because I can't imagine it coming any further North than Glasgow and probably not to Edinburgh either. Scotland would very much be the junior partner. As far as Ireland, I don't like the fact that the venues would be separated by a body of water but I do think it'd be a better tournament for Scotland in terms of the size of role we'd play.

P.S. Nice to see Sepp acknowledging Scotland's importance to World Football as well during the bidding ceremony.

There is no chance of a major tournament ever being staged in Scotland, joint bid or not. We're skint, and our climate is rubbish, and a meaningless group game at Euro 2028 between Belgium and Hungary in a half-arsed new 25000 seater stadium outside Cove in the pissing rain wouldn't be much of a spectacle.

The only way it would be any good is if they rebuilt the coloseum in Oban. You could have the pitch made out of stone, the referee issue two yellow declarations before a sending off (to the gallows), and introduce penalty swordfights in the event of a dull 1-1 draw. :up:

I heard the FIFA number two was about to cross swords with Blatter over their presidential elections. This was his sweetner to nae step up. Qatar i think is a mere 40 square miles. Say that is 8 miles by 5. Then add 100 s of thousands of fans from 32 nations. Then add searing fucking heat. Nuts. Australia would have been a better choice. They could of played the legacy card and joined up with New Zealand.