aberdeen-music

If Qatar can host a World Cup...

Oedo 808

We also don't have the cash to build the stadiums and the infrastructure, especially if they aren't going to be used for anything after the World Cup.

The World Cup is a profit generating event. When large amounts of money can be made large amounts of money can be found. That's just not an excuse.

The World Cup is a profit generating event. When large amounts of money can be made large amounts of money can be found. That's just not an excuse.

Not according to the recent leaks and that documentary the other night. I think Scotland would be well out of that kind of FIFA chicanery.

Also, the main reason we'll never get a major tournament (other than our inability to bribe on a large enough scale, the ridiculous tax exemptions we'd be obliged to give and the fact that we don't have the stadia) is quite simply:

jeffmitchell460.jpg

What in your mind is the infrastructure we need and why couldn't we improve it? We have construction companies. Any issue would not be insurmountable.

*Snigger*

I for one would not like to be stuck in queing traffic on the A90 whilst 40 miles of dual carriageway are closed for one guy sitting in a digger reading The Sun earning his double time. We have neither the funds nor the resources to craft an infrastructure network that would live up to the standards of FIFA.

The headache of Compulsory Purchase Orders alone would make it damn near impossible.

I don't know if money and infrastructure have got anything to do with why a World Cup will probably never come to Scotland. It's got more to do with Ally McCoist sauntering up and down off the bench in short shorts 365 days a year, and Kyle Lafferty and Alan McGregor being abhorrent shitty bastards. Who'd vote for that?

Lafferty is Irish, but he's guilty by association.

Guest idol_wild
The host nation automatically qualifies, don't they? Do Qatar even have a team?

I think they still do. They certainly used to; I used to practice all my tricks and flicks against them in FIFA 95 on the Megadrive.

yes the host nation still qualifies automatically, would be a bit daft not to have them involved! but the previous winners have to qualify now and they used to qualify automatically. which i think is a bit daft as eventually a winner will not qualify and not be able to defend the trophy!

Whilst it was unsuccessful, we did have a bid for Euro 2008. Would another joint bid be out of the question? We wouldn't have made the 2008 bid if we didn't have the infrastructure to host a major tournament. If memory serves a reliance on just three cities was one of the downfalls so if we learn from that and try and spread the chosen locations across the countries I don't see why we can't make another joint bid.

The world cup in Great Britain and Ireland?

That's not a bad idea, I think if the World Cup came 'home' the Scots, Welsh and Irish (both sides of the border) should also host games as well as the English. But doubt such a bid could ever get off the ground.