future islands - in evening air

games - that we can play

emeralds - does it look like i'm here?

erik k skodvin - erik k skodvin

jefre cantu-ledesma - love is a stream

mark mcguire - living with yourself

the sight below - it all falls apart

how to dress well - love remains

From your wholly bizarre list, I only have "games" and I consider it to be a pretty uninspirational gimmick EP, but will make a point of checking out the rest out of sheer curiosity. Surely there's one good album in there.

I wasn't convinced there was much I went mad about this year....but Kirk reminded me about the Tunng and Fall ones (and the bits of the second Imagined Village one which I really like)...and then I remembered Wyatt/Atmons/Stephen 'For the ghosts within' .

I'm still getting into the Marcia Bassett/Helean Espvall 'Lapidary' set.....so will add it to my wee list.

2010 has been a brilliant year for new albums. I would say that "High Violet" by the National is probably the best record I've heard this year. I've also enjoyed:

Sun Kil Moon ~ Admiral Fellow Promises

Avi Buffalo ~ Avi Buffalo

Besnard Lakes ~ The Besnard Lakes are the Roaring Night

First Aid Kit ~ The Big Black and Blue

Errors ~ Come Down with Me

School of Seven Bells ~ Disconnect From Desire ( a close second )

Citay ~ Dream Get Together

Broken Social Scene ~ Forgiveness Rock Record

Wild Nothing ~ Gemini

Anais Mitchell ~ Hadestown

Jenny and Johnny ~ I'm Having Fun Now

Jonsi ~ Go

Marnie Stern ~ Marnie Stern

Yeasayer ~ Odd Blood

Arcade Fire ~ The Suburbs

Beach House ~ Teen Dream

A special mention to the Summer Camp EP, which is super poptacular.

I forgot about Fight Like Apes ~ The Body of Christ and the legs of Tina Turner, which is probably the best breakup record I've heard since Midnight Organ Fight.

Think my fav is Gold Panda this year and Caribou a close 2nd i think - bet there is a few i've missed out too

Bear In Heaven - Beast Rest Forth Mouth

Belle And Sebastian - Belle And Sebastian Write About Love

Best Coast - Crazy For You

Bo Ningen - Bo Ningen

Caribou - Swim

Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest

Dylan LeBlanc - Paupers Field

Edwyn Collins - Lossing Sleep

Glasser - Ring

Gold Panda - Lucky Shiner

Holy Fuck - Latin

The National - High Violet

Smoke Fairies - through Low Light and Threes

Teenage Fanclub - Shadows

These New Puritans - Hidden

Vampire Weekend - Contra

Wild Nothing - Gemini

Zola Jesus - Stridulum II

pfft, my top ten was better :p

pretty surprised to see that Knife opera in there. I don't think I'd ever seen anyone rate it better than a mixed bag and DiS wouldn't have been who I expected to rate it so highly. I'm not sure if I even listened to it from start to finish (of both halves) once. A couple of really great tracks though.

As usual metacritic is collating top 10 lists from loads of different publications.

http://features.metacritic.com/features/2010/music-critic-top-ten-lists-best-of-2010/

Still don't get what everyone loves about the Arcade Fire and Sufjan albums. Suburbs is one of the disappointments of the year but does have a few good tracks. Adz is just BAD.

And who the hell are These New Puritans?? I've never heard of them until a few days ago but they seem to be a popular choice for one of the best albums of the year. Any Good?

I really enjoyed The Suburbs, an incredible amount. But then it came out while I was in America and I've got a lot of very good memories attached to that album so it could have something to do with it. More likely I enjoy it because it's good though and you're just wrong. :p

I'm with you on Adz though, I just cannot for the life of me get into it.

Guest idol_wild
And who the hell are These New Puritans?? I've never heard of them until a few days ago but they seem to be a popular choice for one of the best albums of the year. Any Good?

I saw these guys play at Glastonbury. Dead boring. Pretty interesting approach to music, but nae tunes in my humble opinion.

It's pretty hip to like them, apparently. Which makes me wish I liked them.

Man, I can't believe I somehow managed to exclude Eluvium's Similes from my list. Second track, The Motion Makes Me Last is one of my favourite songs of all time. But hey, I'm getting old and this album came out back in February or something, so I'm allowed to forget it.

I saw these guys play at Glastonbury. Dead boring. Pretty interesting approach to music, but nae tunes in my humble opinion.

It's pretty hip to like them, apparently. Which makes me wish I liked them.

Man, I can't believe I somehow managed to exclude Eluvium's Similes from my list. Second track, The Motion Makes Me Last is one of my favourite songs of all time. But hey, I'm getting old and this album came out back in February or something, so I'm allowed to forget it.

Hidden is a sparkling inventive LP. To use the word boring is wide of the mark

Guest idol_wild

I'm not suggesting the album is boring at all. I haven't listened to it. But I saw these guys play live, and my attention was not grabbed. They were boring and unengaging, and as a result of their show, I decided not to listen to the record.

Guest idol_wild
go listen to Hidden in full a few times.

I suppose Ipod people about these parts must be right & the vast majority of the polls & many six music dj's must be wrong....

What? It's not a case of right or wrong here. I just found them extremely boring when I saw them live. What's the problem with that?

If you think polls and 6Music DJs is a good way to back up whether an album is good, you really need to reassess why you listen to music.

As is apparent from my list a few pages back I'm with Chilli (and NME!) on this one. I think a lot of their live shows have lacked the gear and musicians to meaningfully recreate Hidden, until recently when they had shows that were actually under the banner of "Hidden Live". I think a lot of people who aren't taken by 'Elvis' (posted above and from their previous album) would be pretty impressed by Hidden. It's a big leap forward from Beat Pyramid. As well as being inventive it's actually also pretty direct, they don't mire themselves in experimentalism-for-experimentalism's sake. I think Jack Barnett's voice will still be a stumbling block to some though.

Here's a track that's actually from the album