aberdeen-music

the polls begin... BEST VENUE 2011 - The Fudge Music Awards

The Ghost Of Fudge

It pains me to say it, but that time of year is upon us where I'll be posting a series of simple (some would say 'controvesy-baiting') polls online here at aberdeen-music.com and distributing paper voting slips amoungst the denizens of the Moorings Bar in an effort to discover which local bands have really floated your boats this last year. To that effect, in the coming month or two, you'll have the chance to vote in person or online on a series of vital era-defining polls such as 'Best Band In Aberdeen', 'Best Newcomer', 'Best Punk Act' and, of course, 'Most Punchable Scenester'.

When the many hundreds of votes have been totalled, we'll reveal the many joyful winners (and many more snivelling losers) at our spectacular annual Fudge Music Awards ceremony, to be held this time round in the glittering confines of the Moorings Bar on Saturday 12th February 2011. Three bands will play, and we'll dish out trophies to the award winning acts as they make their acceptance speeches infront of their adoring public live on stage. Unless they're not there, in which case we'll cross that bridge when we come to it as always...

ANYWAY! Most of you must know how this works by now, so let's begin (this is an internet only poll):

BEST VENUE 2011

Your nominees are:

CAFE DRUMMONDS

THE LEMON TREE

THE MOORINGS BAR

MUSA

SNAFU

THE TUNNELS

You may VOTE FOR MORE THAN ONE.

BEST VENUE WINNERS:

2003 - Dr. Drakes

2004 - Dr. Drakes

2005 - Dr. Drakes

2006 - The Moorings Bar

2007 - The Moorings Bar

2008 - The Moorings Bar

2009 - The Moorings Bar

2010 - The Moorings Bar

• 1 month later...

Used to love The Tunnels but to be honest, had far better nights out at Snafu and Moorings regularly last year. Magic's worn off a bit for me. Lack of phone reception and oft totally empty nights in there have sort of killed it for me. Would love to see it make a bit more of a resurgence but I dunno, most times I was in there last year it was sort of flat. Maybe that's just me that thinks that.

Used to love The Tunnels but to be honest, had far better nights out at Snafu and Moorings regularly last year. Magic's worn off a bit for me. Lack of phone reception and oft totally empty nights in there have sort of killed it for me. Would love to see it make a bit more of a resurgence but I dunno, most times I was in there last year it was sort of flat. Maybe that's just me that thinks that.

I know what you mean, unfortunately the Tunnels just feels a bit run down nowadays.

They do have a spanking new sound system in tunnel 1 now and the old one has gone through to tunnel 2. We did a funk night on NY and it sounded awesome in tunnel 2. I shall definitely be putting on more shows there... it's been needing an upgrade since the start really. We always made the most of it but really happy it's fully functional now. I love Tunnel 2.

Oh yeah and was down at Cellar 35 - looking like a genuine place to put on a gig now. Good work to the guys sorting it out at the moment!

Is there any point in this poll, given that the winner for the last number of years is The Moorings, most people that vote in this go to the Moorings, have already voted for the Moorings, and are going to the Moorings to watch this award be handed to The Moorings at the Moorings?

Is there any point in this poll, given that the winner for the last number of years is The Moorings, most people that vote in this go to the Moorings, have already voted for the Moorings, and are going to the Moorings to watch this award be handed to The Moorings at the Moorings?

True, true. Personally I'm a bit disappointed Musa's so low down, maybe just not enough on there.

• 3 weeks later...

This poll has closed.

We'll announce the winners for 2011 this Saturday (12th Feb) at the Moorings Bar, 9pm sharp, after tallying all the online and offline votes... BLOODNUT, THRASHIST REGIME, and GLASSMAN will all play live sets, and we'll dish out our awards in a two-part awards ceremony sandwiching Thrashist Regime. Lovely.

Thanks to everyone who voted for us!

It's true that we benefit from a home advantage but we've also won the Internet end of this vote for the last 7 years (every year we've been nominated), and the home advantage does not apply there. This year we omitted to put out a "Vote Moorings thread" and in spite of that won more on-line votes than ever...

Brian if it makes things fairer then perhaps you should consider only counting Internet votes for venues in future years.

Anyway, thanks again :)

Brian if it makes things fairer then perhaps you should consider only counting Internet votes for venues in future years.

yup, and that's EXACTLY what i did this year.

there wasn't a 'Best Venue' category on the voting slips that were being handed out in the bar this year.

so the win is fair and square i reckon...

The Moorings stands out in that list IMHO because it's the only place on the list I'd consider going for a pint, regardless whether there was a gig on or not. I'd happily go to any of the others but only if there was something on which I wanted to make the effort to go to.

I also trust the Moorings enough to turn up randomly on a weekend and not grudge my 2 or 3 entry on a random band because I've never been to a night where there have been shit bands on. Now and again there's one shitter on with 3 other ace bands on, or very rarely 2 and 2 is as bad as I've ever seen it, but that's personal taste I suppose...

xx