aberdeen-music

Gweed books

James Broonbreed

Bagombo Snuff Box is ace. Have you read 'God Bless You, Dr Kevorkian' by Vonnegut? Takes about half an hour to read, but is brilliant too.

Also good for odd short stories, Richard Brautigan's 'Revenge of the Lawn'.

Vonnegut is i'boy like. Probably my favourite author at the moment.

A Study in Scarlet is great, good Sherlock Holmes book.

Vonnegut is really great. Perhaps my favourite author. Although two titles mentioned in this thread are among the few I haven't read. The obvious classics "Slaughterhouse 5" and "Cat's Cradle" his best, imo. I love everything I've read though.

I'm a devout Bokononist.

Can we just rename this The Kurt Vonnegut Appreciation Society [Aberdeen Music Branch]? Well done on having such magnificent taste, gang.

I've spent most of this evening trying to track down the original NPR broadcasts of the series of 90 second monologues that became 'God Bless You, Dr Kevorkian'.

Anyone recommend a good place to get a Kurt Vonnegut tee? Been looking for one for ages.

Oh, and by the way, that Nick Cave book Cat Pin Bee Fart recommended is fucking outstanding. First time I've ever shed a tear reading a book. His first novel, And the Ass Saw the Angel, is superb too, but a completely different writing style.

Some nice ones here: Kurt Vonnegut -- Vonnegut.com

Also, ebay is worth a check. Homemade can sometimes be pretty good.

The one and only advert on Facebook that has ever intrigued me enough to actually click on it took me to this a few months ago: Novel-T - Vonnegut Tee

Novel-T - Trout Tee

Still haven't got round to reading The Death Of Bunny Munro properly yet. Read the chapter when I bought it for my sister's birthday last year, but really need to get on that someday soon...

Some nice ones here: Kurt Vonnegut -- Vonnegut.com

Also, ebay is worth a check. Homemade can sometimes be pretty good.

The one and only advert on Facebook that has ever intrigued me enough to actually click on it took me to this a few months ago: Novel-T - Vonnegut Tee

Novel-T - Trout Tee

Still haven't got round to reading The Death Of Bunny Munro properly yet. Read the chapter when I bought it for my sister's birthday last year, but really need to get on that someday soon...

Kirsten, I really cannot emphasise enough how utterly fantastic that book is.

Thanks for the links!

There's been an oversight here - 'Revenge Of The Lawn' as recommended in the first reply to this thread is better than anything Vonnegut ever wrote.

In what way? Never read any Richard Brautigan, but he's gon' have to be hella good to get me off my current Vonnegut wanking-fit.

In what way? Never read any Richard Brautigan, but he's gon' have to be hella good to get me off my current Vonnegut wanking-fit.

Well it's the best collection of short stories I've ever read, for a start - better than Fitzgerald, better than Bellow. Brautigan also has a far better track record in my opinion - everything he wrote was incredible, whereas Vonnegut - for me - is incredibly hit-or-miss, and fairly samey.

I read The Death of Bunny Munro a while back. I'm not sure if I enjoyed it as such, but I got through it quickly and wanted to as well. I appreciate Bunny Munro's love of Kylie Minogue.

Also, I think there might be some Vonnegut tees here: Out of Print Clothing

Yep, I thought it was terrible!

That clothing company is pretty good - have the Moby Dick t-shirt. Bit pricey but you're semi-supporting a good cause.

Vonnegut is really great. Perhaps my favourite author. Although two titles mentioned in this thread are among the few I haven't read. The obvious classics "Slaughterhouse 5" and "Cat's Cradle" his best, imo. I love everything I've read though.

yeah, I never mentioned slaughterhouse 5 because I was listing books I've read fairly recently, although I never mentioned this.

Slaughterhouse 5 is ace and although I've never actually bothered to finish it, so is breakfast of champions. As Richard says though, Vonnegut is pretty hit or miss.

Oh, and the ass saw the angel is fucking mental. I didn't get it at all but some of caves writing was pretty ace in it.

Well it's the best collection of short stories I've ever read, for a start - better than Fitzgerald, better than Bellow. Brautigan also has a far better track record in my opinion - everything he wrote was incredible, whereas Vonnegut - for me - is incredibly hit-or-miss, and fairly samey.

I've got the Invisible Man t-shirt. It's a little big on but since it's my favourite book of all time ever I don't mind.

On that note, everyone needs to read Ralph Ellison's 'Invisible Man' because it's the best book ever.

I may have just picked well but I've never really been disappointed by a Vonnegut novel. I suppose Timequake wasn't as great as the others but it was still a good read.

For some reason I haven't read any of his short story collections. Is there any consensus on what is the best one?

My vote for best short story collection would be The Dubliners.

I may have just picked well but I've never really been disappointed by a Vonnegut novel. I suppose Timequake wasn't as great as the others but it was still a good read.

For some reason I haven't read any of his short story collections. Is there any consensus on what is the best one?

'Dubliners' (no 'The' - pedantic apology) is pretty patchy I find, though 'The Dead' is an amazing re-read.

Personal favourites exluding the aforementioned Brautigan;

'Actual Air' by David Berman (of Silver Jews fame)

Penguin's complete F.Scott Fitzgerald collection

" Saul Bellow collection

'The Slow Learner' by Thomas Pynchon

'Dubliners' (no 'The' - pedantic apology) is pretty patchy I find, though 'The Dead' is an amazing re-read.

Personal favourites exluding the aforementioned Brautigan;

'Actual Air' by David Berman (of Silver Jews fame)

Penguin's complete F.Scott Fitzgerald collection

" Saul Bellow collection

'The Slow Learner' by Thomas Pynchon

My favourite short story collection is by far Slawomir Mrozek's 'The Elephant'.

Just so damned hilarious and funny, simultaneously biting and naieve in tone. Best day of my summer was sitting in the garden reading the whole thing.