aberdeen-music

Be Like Pablo - Album Teaser

2 minutes of hate

This is one of the new songs we've been working on in the studio. Its still very rough but alas that's why its a teaser and not an finished track. It needs most overdubs done and the synth is just from the ghost track. Just thought it would be cool to put it out there for anyone that was interested in having a listen.

Spirit Of Adventure - MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Watch the volume and that since it's not been mastered.

This is our shortest song ever so any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers

I really like it! Initially the vocals hit me as something I'd grow weary of but as the song progresses they get better and grow a little. When the harmonies kick in you get that good feeling like any good pop song should give you. Reminds me of a kind of a Ben Folds style production.

On the constructive criticism side, it's not that I don't like the singers voice, I think the vocals go a bit beyond his range. That's why my initial thought was that I'd get fed up of them pretty quickly. That could be the style you're going for but if it was just below that threshold that sounds a bit of a struggle it'd be a heap better for me.

Overall, very good work. Sounds pro.

I love it, but thats to be expected. Disagree about Ewens voice - it sounds great imo. There is too much reverb or double-tracking on Jens voice, which sounds incongruously overproduced next to Ewens.

Beyond that minro quibble, its fantastic. Great work.

Duinno why my apostrophe key has stopped working.

Dunno whats wrong with your face. You have a shapely buttocks at least.

I think this great and I have no idea about anything to do with production really. So, just great. Really look forward to actually seeing you guys soon as you're every type of tea for me, especially this week. Good.

I love it, but thats to be expected. Disagree about Ewens voice - it sounds great imo. There is too much reverb or double-tracking on Jens voice, which sounds incongruously overproduced next to Ewens.

Cheers bud. I'd never noticed the double tracking difference actually, i'll definately make a note of it. Might be worth cutting it back a bit.

I think this great and I have no idea about anything to do with production really. So, just great. Really look forward to actually seeing you guys soon as you're every type of tea for me, especially this week. Good.

Thanks i'm glad you like it. We've not got much planned in Aberdeen over the next few months unfortuantely. Just a few Glasgow/Englandshire gigs in the pipeline while we work on the album. We're defiantely up for a more local show soon though.

of course i like it cos it's bangin

it's not entirely unfamiliar to me though - been playing this one out? last time i saw you was in glasgow...

yeah we've been messing around with it for about a year now. it's been fairly deconstructed recently though.

i was going to post a couple of other new tracks but they are top secret at the moment. they are going to sound amazing when they are done properly so i dont want to ruin anything

cheers man. i can definately see what you are saying, i think that once we get some overall compression on during the mixing and mastering the vocals will sound a whole lot smoother.

To be honest, that's just my overly picky opinion about the vocals, obviously other people don't have that same view which effectively nullifies it anyway. It is better folk say exactly what they think in the feedback forum though rather than purely just a pat on the back kind of stuff, I always try complement the bits I like and point out the bits I don't in as polite a way as possible. I would likely purchase a copy which is the main thing!

On the constructive criticism side, it's not that I don't like the singers voice, I think the vocals go a bit beyond his range.

I think it's a stylistic thing in terms of when he pushes for the note and when he doesn't. More generally the vocals make me think JJ Bull grew younger or started tapping into the world's ever more limited helium supplies.

There is too much reverb or double-tracking on Jens voice, which sounds incongruously overproduced next to Ewens.

She has a smoother but quieter voice that doesn't project in the same way. I'm not sure how much of the difference is production and how much of it is timbre.

I'm liking the song, it's a bit twee... sounds a bit like a childlike Magicdrive running around the playground on a sugar high.

cheers for the feedback, we will definately fiddle about with the dynamics of it and see how it sounds once its been mixed in a bit.

i think alot of it is how each of them project their voices. all of us have a different way of singing, which kind of helps the harmonies in busier songs but its quite hard to find the balance on straight forward ones like this.

She has a smoother but quieter voice that doesn't project in the same way. I'm not sure how much of the difference is production and how much of it is timbre.

I'm liking the song, it's a bit twee... sounds a bit like a childlike Magicdrive running around the playground on a sugar high.

Thats the point, though. I know Jen's voice very well, and its charm is its innocence/tweeness. By overproducing it (it definitely sounds doubletracked, though it could just be a heap of 'verb), it loses its character.

I guess it's not too dissimilar to Ewen's, in that his kind of wavers a bit on the high notes. That slight fragility in Ewen's (which I love) manages to translate in the recordings, but Jen's doesn't (in this song, anyway). I think Brian has gone overboard on her vocal; simply, in doubletracking it (or drowning it in 'verb), it loses a bit of its charm and innocence.

IMO and all that.

Don't want to detract from the fact that it's a crackign song, though!

I had a listen. Not strictly to my tastes, I find it a little bit cloying, although it's catchy enough. I think both the vocals are fine, only an audiophile would quibble with them.

I'm quibbling with the vocals, but Audis are for wankers and their drivers shouldn't be allowed to live. I have had many a rant about them in the Pet Hates thread.

sorry

• 1 month later...