aberdeen-music

The Malpaso Gang @ Musa

Graham Knight

Just got home from seeing The Malpaso Gang's performance at Musa in Exchange Street.

This well rehearsed five piece entertained an appreciative audience with a selection of country numbers in a slightly rocked up rather than classical manner.

The band members will mostly be well known to Aberdeen Music affiandos as it comprises of Bigsby, drummer Chris (ex Panda Eyes), Son Henry on steel guitar, bass Dave (Mighty Scuba), and vocalist Nina (Hashimoto Jones).

They played a very tight set that was billed as from the 50's and 50's but their biggest number of the night was the 1947 hit for Hank Williams - Honky Tonkin'. They did this so well that they reprised it again to end the show.

Another standout was their interpretation of the George Jones/ Big Bopper hit - White Lightning.

The vocals from Nina were outstandingly good and the drumming was solid. All three guitarists showed they had been rehearsing well and that they had spent time listening to the originals.

Guitar collector, Bigsby, showed off just 10 per cent of his guitar collection by only bringing three guitars to the gig: his trusty Telecaster, A Chet Atkins Epiphone, and a Burns Double Six 12 string.

It was a good debut from this new band. It was also my first time in Musa and I must say I was most impressed and will be going back for food as well as music.

Many thanks for taking the time to come along and post your review Graham. Technical issues notwithstanding we were pleased with how things went.

Just to provide a bit more info although we did indeed do the two covers you mentioned the bulk of the set comprised original tracks written by the band.

Joe, don't worry about Graham not mentioning you, he only arrived after you finished. :)

I genuinely thought your set was very good. Can't wait to hear December again on the Kilau CD.

In the other thread I mentioned that you would learn from the experience and I'm sure you did. Lesson number one - buy a tuner. :) If I can also just offer one piece of advice, there was a couple of times when you were doing "in-jokey" banter stuff with some of your pals in the audience, refernces to songs etc. That sort of thing is great for you and them, but means nothing to eveyone else in the audience and is therefore best avoided.

A minor quibble though, the actual performance couldn't be faulted. Well done.

Don't know much about Fenders and such, don't know what a steelmaster is for. But what I do know is that I enjoy being entertained by live music.

And entertained I was. Thanks lads (and Nina) for a very enjoyable Sunday night.

I even liked the 'bar room brawl' that took place outside the front door !

Thanks for your support Silversurfer. Hope to see you at our next gig at The Clubhouse/Great Western Hotel a week on Friday.

By the way, we have a Facebook page and I have just added a 'review' bit to the page. Would be great if we could publish the review on there too. Not sure if you're on facebook, but if you are...have a look (I can't add the review myself)

The Malpaso Gang- Tall Riders on the Lonesome Trail | Facebook

cheers

this is my Facebook - I will add you and sorry I forgot to mention your compositions.

CU next week at the hotel gig.

Graham

Graham Knight | Facebook

Many thanks for taking the time to come along and post your review Graham. Technical issues notwithstanding we were pleased with how things went.

Just to provide a bit more info although we did indeed do the two covers you mentioned the bulk of the set comprised original tracks written by the band.

Joe, don't worry about Graham not mentioning you, he only arrived after you finished. :)

I genuinely thought your set was very good. Can't wait to hear December again on the Kilau CD.

In the other thread I mentioned that you would learn from the experience and I'm sure you did. Lesson number one - buy a tuner. :) If I can also just offer one piece of advice, there was a couple of times when you were doing "in-jokey" banter stuff with some of your pals in the audience, refernces to songs etc. That sort of thing is great for you and them, but means nothing to eveyone else in the audience and is therefore best avoided.

A minor quibble though, the actual performance couldn't be faulted. Well done.

Sorry for not reading this earlier, been struck down with a pretty bad bug the last few days.

Thanks for the advice, will certainly keep an eye out for a tuner (I think the intonation on the guitar's a little past it anyway, might consider a new one altogether).

And yeah, the in-jokey stuff was 90% nerves talking. ;)

Thanks though, really was a great night both playing and listening. :D

Sorry for not reading this earlier, been struck down with a pretty bad bug the last few days.

Thanks for the advice, will certainly keep an eye out for a tuner (I think the intonation on the guitar's a little past it anyway, might consider a new one altogether).

And yeah, the in-jokey stuff was 90% nerves talking. ;)

Thanks though, really was a great night both playing and listening. :D

I thought the guitar sounded great. I was just thinking of that moment when you were having to tune by ear. I've been in that situation myself and there's nothing worse. Much better to have a digital tuner on the floor that you can just use right away.

Did you get your iPod back? We left it with the bar staff.

I thought the guitar sounded great. I was just thinking of that moment when you were having to tune by ear. I've been in that situation myself and there's nothing worse. Much better to have a digital tuner on the floor that you can just use right away.

Did you get your iPod back? We left it with the bar staff.

Ah, alright, was pretty difficult. :L

Christ, I didn't even realise I'd left it - been looking everywhere for it :/ I'll head down for it at some stage.

In an earlier post about the Malposo Gang @ Musa I wrote:

"Guitar collector, Bigsby, showed off just 10 per cent of his guitar collection by only bringing three guitars to the gig: his trusty Telecaster, A Chet Atkins Epiphone, and a Burns Double Six 12 string.

It was a good debut from this new band. It was also my first time in Musa and I must say I was most impressed and will be going back for food as well as music."

This is probably the wrong thread to write about the food but as promised above I went back to Musa tonight and had a great meal. The best rare steak I have had in Aberdeen for years - so the place is highly recommended for the food as well as being a great venue for music.

I must book up for the next Malpaso Gang at Musa in January.

I notice that they have a bottle of beer on the menu called "Sink the Bismarck" that cost 41. It is a pity I don't drink beer as this must be something really special. Maybe i should buy my near namesake Bob Knight one and get his considered opinion.