aberdeen-music

vinyl vs cd

Stroopy121

Anyone out there have any strong feelings one way or t'other?

I find it an odd one - for listening to anything circa 1970 and before (right back to 20's jazz stuff and anything classical) I do find that vinyl is a lovely way to listen to it - something about the warmth of the sound, the hisses and pops on the record player adding to the music rather than taking something away..

However, listening to relatively modern music on vinyl just isn't right IMO, those same pops and crackles ( and the occasional snap... ) that were oh so endearing when listening to a Little Richard record become a pain in the balls when you put on something that has been digitally recorded and produced.... To me it's the same idea as listening to a radio station with shit reception....

I know a few purists who swear blind that vinyl is the ONLY way to listen to music and to an extent I agree that listening to analog sound has inherent benefits over digital.... but at the end of the day I've spent a shitload of time and money picking out a bass and amp that produce exactly the sound I'm after and while I see the argument that a digital representation of that sound is not the same, I'd say it's far preferable to listening to it in a a scratchy, noisy format...

Thoughts?

:popcorn:

xx

Just reading the book 'Perfecting Sound Forever' at the moment and this issue crops up in that. I suppose people always record music with an idea of how most people are going to listen to it and what will sound good to them. In the 'vinyl era' people recorded music in a way that would sound good on vinyl, but nowadays not many people (except Steve Albini maybe) are going to do that.

Disagree about modern music not sounding right on vinyl. Through an excellent set up, it can, and usually does sound outstanding. Obviously a cheap turntable and speakers will make anything sound dog though. When set up well, there is a noticable difference for the better. Less compression and just generally more presence and clarity. I'm not Anti-CD or anything. I still buy heaps of CD's, but vinyl certainly still has its place in the modern era. The fact that vinyl sales have gradually increased over the past few years speaks volumes of that.

If the record is in good condition and your needle is clean, you shouldn't be hearing pops and crackles over the top of the music. Perhaps a little between the songs, but I can't say I've ever found it that noticable at all, old or new.

• Upvote 1

I think you're overplaying the 'scratchy/noisy' element of your argument - this shouldn't be too much of a problem, if one at all, if playing a record that's in good condition, using good quality equipment - in the same sense that an MP3 or CD only really sounds 'good' if in good condition/at a decent bitrate and played through good quality equipment.

That said, it's entirely subjective. I do think that in the right conditions as stated above, a record will sound 'better' than a CD. That said, there are things that I prefer to listen to on CD/MP3, for example most releases by Tim Hecker, where there's no real space between tracks and so flipping over a 12" disrupts the flow somewhat.

It's also worth pointing out that it's very rarely satisfying to hold a CD in your hand - they're flimsy and generally crappily presented/looking. The same is less often said with records. You could argue that 'it's just the music that matters', and to an extent I'd agree, but then would point you in the direction of digital music.

I only really buy CDs if they're cheaper than buying digitally, or if it is the only format on offer for whatever release.

Actually, I do have one record where the crackles ruin it a bit, though it's in bad condition and very old. The Boss - Nebraska. There's dust in the grooves that I just can't seem to clean, and with the whole record being very quiet and gentle anyway, the crackle does become a bit too audible. Still listenable, but I tend to listen to it on CD if I'm going to give it play.

The quality of vinyl these days has certainly improved. Comparing new releases to the old Boss and Queen records I have, they (the latter) are so thin and frail, and warp quite easily. The 180g stuff that some labels are releasing, like Polyvinyl and Touch & Go, is very good. They don't warp, so you don't get those slightly off key moments as they stay rigid and flat on the platter.