aberdeen-music

Fav snare drum??

Drummerboy

Hi all

Just wanted to know what your fav snare drum is and why? Out of all the snares I own my fav has to be my Premier Modern Classic maple, 13inch by 7inch deep. Its cranked up really tight and so has a really high pitch but also has the depth that the 7inch allows. Love it and I always get the sound guys commenting at the gigs :up:

Whats your fav drum?

I love the snare sound on that Fine Young Cannibals song 'She Drives Me Crazy'. Pscchhhh. Sounds like opening a can of Coke.

There's a great explanation here of how it's done.

It's been a while since I've test driven a few snares, however I still rate the Manu Katche signature Yamaha a lot, and the Sonor Jungle is a nice wee (10*2) snare for high-pitch crack.

any drummer worth his salt has more than one snare drum............

Complete bollocks.

Where do I begin with a completely ridiculous statement like this? Granted, I have two (that premier, something or other I bought off you (which sounds amazing btw) and a wee steel one; maybe a Gretsch) but I only need one. The wee one has just been added to my arsenal, more as a trial to see if I have any actual use for it. Seriously though, are you actually a prfessional drummer or something? Do you get sent all this stuff? Maybe then I could understand why your such an unbelievable gear snob... maybe. Sorry to hi-jack your thread as well man, but I really don't like your attitude towards drumming or (probably) music. I think its fair to say that I am perfectly compentent with a pair of sticks in my hands, yet I don't see the need to have all the best gear to complete the task of doing the job as a drummer in a band, or - in reference to the thread - have more than one fucking snare drum. I know plenty of drummers "worth their salt" who have terrible gear, or even no gear at all. They are worth their salt as they do exactly what is asked of them for the band they are in, some are technically very good, some have probably never played the drums outwith a band context. Don't mean they aint doing a good job and earning their salt(?).

Yes, I appreciate a damn good jazz drummer. I even watch videos of drummers on youtube ocassionally, but I still think a drummer only comes into his own when (s)he's playing in a band; which is unlike guitarists and pianists etc.

Sorry, this isn't even a rant at you anymore!! Can you see my point of view though? I struggle to articulate it at times.

So I'm not accused of trolling, my favourite snare is my one as I own it. Pemier Modern classic I believe. Maple? I'm not sure. Its made of wood and metal and i like it.

Complete bollocks.

Where do I begin with a completely ridiculous statement like this? Granted, I have two (that premier, something or other I bought off you (which sounds amazing btw) and a wee steel one; maybe a Gretsch) but I only need one. The wee one has just been added to my arsenal, more as a trial to see if I have any actual use for it. Seriously though, are you actually a prfessional drummer or something? Do you get sent all this stuff? Maybe then I could understand why your such an unbelievable gear snob... maybe. Sorry to hi-jack your thread as well man, but I really don't like your attitude towards drumming or (probably) music. I think its fair to say that I am perfectly compentent with a pair of sticks in my hands, yet I don't see the need to have all the best gear to complete the task of doing the job as a drummer in a band, or - in reference to the thread - have more than one fucking snare drum. I know plenty of drummers "worth their salt" who have terrible gear, or even no gear at all. They are worth their salt as they do exactly what is asked of them for the band they are in, some are technically very good, some have probably never played the drums outwith a band context. Don't mean they aint doing a good job and earning their salt(?).

Yes, I appreciate a damn good jazz drummer. I even watch videos of drummers on youtube ocassionally, but I still think a drummer only comes into his own when (s)he's playing in a band; which is unlike guitarists and pianists etc.

Sorry, this isn't even a rant at you anymore!! Can you see my point of view though? I struggle to articulate it at times.

So I'm not accused of trolling, my favourite snare is my one as I own it. Pemier Modern classic I believe. Maple? I'm not sure. Its made of wood and metal and i like it.

I really think some people miss the point sometimes. I never said anything about anyone having to have the BEST gear did I? No. And I did not mean that the more snare drums you have the better drummer you are as that would be stupid. My point is that the snare drum is the main part of the kit that tends to change for most drummers - as in they stick with the same kit, cymbals etc but they will change their snare around to suit the occasion. Seriously though some people take these threads far to far........

I really think some people miss the point sometimes. I never said anything about anyone having to have the BEST gear did I? No. And I did not mean that the more snare drums you have the better drummer you are as that would be stupid. My point is that the snare drum is the main part of the kit that tends to change for most drummers - as in they stick with the same kit, cymbals etc but they will change their snare around to suit the occasion. Seriously though some people take these threads far to far........

Och, your correct, I took it way too far! It's a really touchy subject with me for some reason. I guess I just hate it when people are ridiculously into gear and not what really matters, ie. rad chops. It's obviously possible to be in to both though! I apologise, my 'rant' was unnecessary.

Och, your correct, I took it way too far! It's a really touchy subject with me for some reason. I guess I just hate it when people are ridiculously into gear and not what really matters, ie. rad chops. It's obviously possible to be in to both though! I apologise, my 'rant' was unnecessary.

Its cool!

I just dont like it when people take things the wrong way and then go on at me about it. Yeah I have a fair bit of good gear, but I was saving up to get a brand new kit and i decided to get more for my money so i ended up buying a few different things second hand. I really dont mind what people play as long as they like it - before I had my expensive gear I played a Pearl Export for years. Was a great kit and I had in Orange so it was kinda funky:up: