aberdeen-music

New Kanye - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Paranoid Android

Everything ive ever heard of his has been gash. His existence alone annoys me, never mind his music. Having said that, (i just watched curb season 7) im gonna give those tracks a listen purely because someone on here likes the album enough to dedicate a thread to it and that intrigues me.

same reason I'm interested.. I wrote him off as a pretentious dickhole, but I shall give him a shot when I get home from work.

my breath is firmly baited.

xx

i'm speaking out of turn for the people i know who are into hip hop here, but i'd say that a single-figures-percentage of them give the remotest of flying fucks about anything kanye west is involved in.

Wel l cant speak for anyone else here, I just remember that some people here do have at least a small interest in Hip-hop so I thought people might be interested in this new album. Mainly because most people I know whether that be actually know in real life or dont really know but I read there posts on message boards) that have any interest in hip hop like him. If people here dont then no problem, the thread can sink to page 14.

Most of those on here who dabble in hip-hop tend to prefer alt. hip-hop, I guess. Def Jux, Rhymesayers, stuff like that. That's why the hip-hop threads are filled with stuff like Aesop Rock and Deltron 3030 instead of A Tribe Called Quest and Gang Starr. Chances are that if the only hip-hop you listen to is produced by El-P that you're going to think Kanye West is a pompous bellend and you're probably not going to care for his music. Hip-hop threads are bloody weird around this place (I think you'd struggle to find more than a handful of folk on here who know who DJ Premier is), but that's probably because it's not most peoples' preferred genre. People with esoteric tastes will gravitate towards esoteric music regardless of genre.

I suppose a lot of people probably have a lot of trouble overlooking his media personality too. That's fair enough, you can't change someone's perception of somebody, and he does do/say some pretty ridiculous shit.

Personally I'm a massive hip-hop fan and I appreciate what Kanye does. The only album of his I'd say is "above average" is his first one (808's was a fucking horrible mess), but he's a good MC when he's on form. I can't say I'm massively into his production style either (too many hollow drums and synths for my tastes), but he's produced a handful of great beats over the years. I've really enjoyed the 3 songs I've heard from this album, though, and I think it's gonna be mint.

The best and most sensible post in this thread, including all of mine. Although not rating last registration as high as college dropout is something I'd disagree with.

(apparently I must spread rep....)

I'd like to go back and re-listen to 808's, after the new album which I like so much I might see it more as a necessary stepping stone rather than a mis-step.

Most of those on here who dabble in hip-hop tend to prefer alt. hip-hop, I guess. Def Jux, Rhymesayers, stuff like that. That's why the hip-hop threads are filled with stuff like Aesop Rock and Deltron 3030 instead of A Tribe Called Quest and Gang Starr. Chances are that if the only hip-hop you listen to is produced by El-P that you're going to think Kanye West is a pompous bellend and you're probably not going to care for his music. Hip-hop threads are bloody weird around this place (I think you'd struggle to find more than a handful of folk on here who know who DJ Premier is), but that's probably because it's not most peoples' preferred genre. People with esoteric tastes will gravitate towards esoteric music regardless of genre.

I suppose a lot of people probably have a lot of trouble overlooking his media personality too. That's fair enough, you can't change someone's perception of somebody, and he does do/say some pretty ridiculous shit.

Personally I'm a massive hip-hop fan and I appreciate what Kanye does. The only album of his I'd say is "above average" is his first one (808's was a fucking horrible mess), but he's a good MC when he's on form. I can't say I'm massively into his production style either (too many hollow drums and synths for my tastes), but he's produced a handful of great beats over the years. I've really enjoyed the 3 songs I've heard from this album, though, and I think it's gonna be mint.

Quoted for maximum truth.

I'd like to go back and re-listen to 808's, after the new album which I like so much I might see it more as a necessary stepping stone rather than a mis-step.

I revisited it at the weekend. I think that Welcome To Heartbreak is an excellent track and Amazing is very good (until Young Jeezy shows up and ruins the final verse with his horrendous flow), but other than that it feels bloated and completely over-saturated with synths, auto-tune, and hollow drums. I guess there are things to like in it, though.

I bought My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy yesterday and I think it's excellent. All Of The Lights is my favourite so far, but Blame Game isn't far behind it. I'm a bit disappointed that Chain Heavy didn't make the final cut (excellent, excellent track) but I'm really enjoying the CD so far. Easily the best thing he's ever done.

Big K.R.I.T's debut is probably my second fave hip-hop album this year, haven't heard (of) shad.

MBDTF has still been dominating my listening the past few days. I've revisited Ye's back catalogue too (not 808's).

There's an article on the guardian website comparing the reviews / hype to this to Be Here Now...seriously. Wait, I DID love Be Here Now in 1997 maybe they're onto something ?(

I'll try and give both a listen.

After having a casual interest for some time, it's really only been this year that I've got strongly into hip-hop so I've been mainly occupied with a lot of "classic" albums from the past. I'm sure there is lots from this year I've missed out on.

Anyone heard Curren$y's Pilot Talk 2? Pilot Talk 1 has a few tracks I really like.

Black Milk - Album of the year is probably the only other from this year I've properly listened to. It's pretty good too.

This year's run of releases hasn't been as strong as last year's but there's still been a lot of good stuff put out. My 2010 highlight was probably Reflection Eternal's "Revolutions Per Minute". Not quite as good as their first release, but still mighty fine. I can't wait for the new Pharoahe Monch album, personally.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gladstone
POWER is so awesome. Probably my song of the year.

Yup, fucking right! I've only heard it once, but instantly hooked. Monster is on right now and it is also fucking good.

I think I'm going to love this album.

• 1 month later...

Twitter / Kanye West: MY NEW ALBUM COMING THIS S ...

So after all the good friday tracks and MBDTF at the end of last year we have the Jay Z collab "Watch the Throne" coming out soon and now apparently another new album in the summer? This guy is busy!

Hopefully it's not a case of quantity over quality.

• 10 months later...

So this album was pretty much the critics consensus choice for album of 2010.

One year on how do fans of it think it's held up?

I still love it and think it's strong from start to finish. I've done a bit of kanye listening over the last day or two and would put this and College Dropout as his two best.

I genuinely think it's a classic, 10/10 album. It's a brilliant, kaleidoscopic, cohesive piece of work without a single duff song. My only complaint is that the intro and outro on Runaway are each at least a minute too long. Other than that, great CD. Even Rick Ross sounds alright, and he's usually abysmal.

Hated Watch the Throne though. Bags of overly self-indulgent pish. Otis was a terrible misuse of an excellent sample, the Beyonce song was horrific, Welcome to the Jungle, Niggas in Paris, Why I Love You... meh. Murder to Excellent was alright and That's My Bitch has a half-decent beat, but that's about it for me. Didn't like it.