aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Oedo 808

Time to think about Helium

I found this link provided by Bigsby to be quite chilling. I think it deserves a thread of its own.

Why the world is running out of helium - Science, News - The Independent

"Once helium is released into the atmosphere in the form of party balloons or boiling helium it is lost to the Earth forever, lost to the Earth forever," he emphasised.

Lost to the Earth forever.

I was pretty certain there were helium factories. I worked in one for a bit but I resigned because I refused to be spoken to in that tone

Stolen from the responses to that article.

In 50 years time I'll be sitting with my grandkids on my knee telling them about these magic balloons we used to have that floated.

They'll think I'm mental.

Helium is the second most abundant element in the universe. I don't think we've got much to worry about for a while.

Yes but it's mostly in gas giants and stars. I didn't realise this until I read about it but we can only get it from natural gas on Earth.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Space Capitalism is the only solution to our Earthly problems but those pinkos/greens (mauves?) want to stop us.

Come on. It's a gas!

I just feel it ruins the atmosphere of a thread but I don't want to pressurise people into a more serious discussion.