aberdeen-music

Recommend me a Laptop

Christy

Hullo everyone.

I need a new lapper, and I'm gonna buy one this week. Problem is I don't know much about technology. My criteria is this:

*Must be able to handle 10+ tables of online poker at a time (this is the #1 priority)

*Must be able to surf the interweb speedily (no 'buffering' bullshit when I'm getting my Maria Ozawa on)

*Must be reasonably priced (I doubt I'll go over 500, but ideally circa 400 would be goot)

I am not interested in editing movies or making music or playing Crash Bandicoot or whatever people play these days. I need it to be reliable when I'm playing poker, and very little else.

From what I've been able to deduce, I need minimum 3GB RAM. I don't know what that really means, but I trust the advice.

Onlie poker and some music really isn't that taxing on a processor unless the poker game is quite graphically intense.

To be honest any old laptop you can buy would cover what you describe above without needing to spend 400/500. (I say any old laptop but I mean 90% of laptops you would see on the shelf at pc world/comet etc).

I don't know where this minimum 3gig of ram comes from but it's gibberish. Unless that is based on system requirements listed on any specific software you are using for poker? Like said if there is a heavy graphical interface this may be the case but I can't see any onlie poker game requiring 3 gig of ram.

I can't recommend anything in particular for what you've said above but I'd advise against spending 400 on a laptop just to listen to music and play poker.

I hope this helps. Any questions fire me a PM

Edit: the buffering you were talking about is more likely due to connection speed. Most if not all systems these days can process and write data faster than it can be delivered by your average broadband connection.

I'm running windows 7 64bit and an 8600 GTS on 2gig of RAM with no noticeable issues.

Yeah, I run X64 Vista on 2 as well and it's reasonable but four is probably recommended. But it seems like plenty of new laptops are coming in with 3GB standard. I thought that was down to the new Intel architecture using triple channel so you need 3 X 1GB modules but I'm seeing dual pentium systems in this configuration which is confusing me.

Yeah, I run X64 Vista on 2 as well and it's reasonable but four is probably recommended. But it seems like plenty of new laptops are coming in with 3GB standard. I thought that was down to the new Intel architecture using triple channel so you need 3 X 1GB modules but I'm seeing dual pentium systems in this configuration which is confusing me.

Agreed but I only have 2 slots. It was either the graphics card or 2x 2gb sticks so I got 2x 1gb sticks and the graphics card. I use a 1gb flash drive for readyboost.

Hi guys, thanks for the input.

Just to elucidate; from what I gather from2+2, 3GB RAM is standard for running 10+ tables at Full Tilt. It's not especially graphics-intensive, but I run it with PokerTracker3 and TableNinja, which probably eat up some of the good shit too.

I'm pretty pizzled right now, so I'll re-read tomorrow and hopefully the advices will sink in xxx

Agreed but I only have 2 slots. It was either the graphics card or 2x 2gb sticks so I got 2x 1gb sticks and the graphics card. I use a 1gb flash drive for readyboost.

I got mine in '07 and those 2GB DDR2 sticks were expensive back then. Next build (probably 2013 the way my fianance are) will have SSD solid state mofos :rockon:

Hi guys, thanks for the input.

Just to elucidate; from what I gather from2+2, 3GB RAM is standard for running 10+ tables at Full Tilt. It's not especially graphics-intensive, but I run it with PokerTracker3 and TableNinja, which probably eat up some of the good shit too.

I'm pretty pizzled right now, so I'll re-read tomorrow and hopefully the advices will sink in xxx

I'm thinking you probably are gonna be using ten tabs on a browser running Flash. Try to get 'discrete' graphics rather than 'integrated' because that means the system RAM is shared with the video card which generally is shit. 3GB saounds good for basic operationt hese days. I'd make sure you get the 64 bit version of Windows 7 just because 32 bit will be fucking dead in about 2-3 years.

2GB of RAM is the recommended minimum for Windows 7 64 bit. Sounds like the 3GB target Christy has been given is about right, I don't see what he's trying to do eating up more than a gig on top of the OS. More certainly wouldn't hurt but see what you can get for your budget.

@Zeromisery

Your internet connection speed has nothing to do with your HDD speed. Even a fairly standard 7200 RPM can write at 70 MBps. i.e 560 Mbps (a lot more than your 11 Mbps connection) . I wouldn't recommend striping. Firstly you'd need two HDDs and secondly if one of those HDDs went tits you'd lose every last piece of data on both. Check your HDD light when you think things are running slow, if it's flashing a lot then you have basically run out of memory and the computer is storing data from your RAM on to a cache on your HDD. Your ReadyBoost flash drive won't stop this happening, it just duplicates what's in your HDD cache so it can be retrieved quicker. In short, it's not as good as having more RAM but it's a lot quicker than having to get your data direct from the HDD.

My Pc build i'm going to be using a 40gb SSD to run my OS and a few of the heavier programs and hold all my files on a 1tb HDD. Just sayin' gonna be SAWEEEEET. Should have it up and running in the next month/6 weeks if i'm unlucky.

That seems a little tight for Windows. Can Windows 7 not just use it for swap space or something?

Not particularly tight, W7 needs 16GB free space for installing 32 bit and 20GB free for installing 64 bit versions. Once installed they require less.

I suppose if he sticks the bulk of his applications on the 1TB that might actually be feasible, although i just did a fresh install and it took out 90GB for the usual stuff and a few Steam games.

I suppose if he sticks the bulk of his applications on the 1TB that might actually be feasible, although i just did a fresh install and it took out 90GB for the usual stuff and a few Steam games.

The only apps that need to be on the same drive as the OS are those that run as services (e.g. AV apps). I've also noticed that most SSD manufacturers recommend that you do NOT use it for swap space as using a lot of write operations will degrade the drive quicker.