aberdeen-music

Bands wanted for MUSA's Gig Night

MUSA

Sunday night is GIG NIGHT @ Musa as of next Sunday 21st! So we need some bands lined up. I'm looking for amateur indie/rock/folk bands who play their own music.

We need a support band and a main band each week. Ideally the support act would be singer/songwriter stuff, maybe solo or duo, and the main act would be a larger, rockier band.

Doors will be at 7:30 (you can come and load and soundcheck first) and the 1st set will be 9-9:45, the 2nd from 10:15-11 (approximately).

Because the Gig Night is just starting out we will offer free beer for the musicians and, if there is a good sized crowd, we may be able to negotiate a fee and/or offer you a paid gig.

If you are interested in playing please email me - caitlinocarroll87@gmail.com

Bands who have contacted me already to play gigs, you're still welcome to play!

Cheeeers.

Kitchen is closed on a Sunday night, it just wouldn't work. But we will be supplying some food such as cheese boards. Entry is going to be free so I'm afraid a free meal is off the cards.

Will people be able to come in on "gig night" and get a meal for free , maybe just pay for beer , unless the meal is really good then maybe they'll pay a bit or perhaps promise to pay for a meal next time ? ?(

.............didn't think so :down:

.........do you understand my post ?

Ask a stupid question... I see your point but if you don't want to play for beer, then don't play for beer, nobody's forcing you to.

Also, Musa is owned by Brewdog, so not only will the beer be tasty, but no doubt worth a few quid to boot, if you're going to get all nickel and dime on us.

Sorry Kybosh, please feel free to explain your post again using less cryptic language.

Obviously we would like to be in a position where we can be paying the bands/musicians on Sundays but, as this is a first, we need to see how the evening goes before we can start deciding on any fees.

Sorry Kybosh, please feel free to explain your post again using less cryptic language.

Obviously we would like to be in a position where we can be paying the bands/musicians on Sundays but, as this is a first, we need to see how the evening goes before we can start deciding on any fees.

I think his point is YOU wouldn't expect to just maybe be paid for providing a service.

I can see his point, but if you're a new band in your early stages, or in fact any kind of artist, you can't always expect to be paid. And if you DO decide you want to come and play there's a good chance that we will be able to pay you.

If it's not for you, naaae worries, but this may be a great oppertunity.

• Upvote 1

if you're a new band in your early stages, or in fact any kind of artist, you can't always expect to be paid.

The fact is, you're using bands as a draw to get people into the venue (who will then spend their money on your drinks / cheese boards).

Why shouldn't a band be paid? It baffles me the attitude in this respect of certain promoters.

If it was up to me, there would definitely be a fee for the musicians, and I am doing my best to make sure that there WILL be. If it was my business, there would be no question about it. Sometimes promoters are put in difficult positions by their employers.

I understand that, but you did say 'bands can't always expect to be paid' whether a new artist or an established one. I just think that's a ridiculous thing to say.

Like Kybosh was (trying) to get at, you wouldn't expect not to pay a plumber or an electrician, likewise Musa wouldn't expect not to be paid for their food. It's the same thing, and I'd urge you to pitch it to your employers as such. :)

The fact is, you're using bands as a draw to get people into the venue (who will then spend their money on your drinks / cheese boards).

Why shouldn't a band be paid? It baffles me the attitude in this respect of certain promoters.

Give them a break Adam.

First off, the simple point is if you aren't interested, don't put yourseld forward. Secondly, especially for younger bands, the very chance of playing a gig at all is a big deal. I sure as hell played for a lot less than free beer.

I'm not sure I get why people are upset with "want a gig? Free beer! Cash if it goes well!"

I wonder if anyone knows the definition of amateur and professional.

• Upvote 1

Give them a break Adam.

First off, the simple point is if you aren't interested, don't put yourseld forward. Secondly, especially for younger bands, the very chance of playing a gig at all is a big deal. I sure as hell played for a lot less than free beer.

I'm not sure I get why people are upset with "want a gig? Free beer! Cash if it goes well!"

Indeed, we (The Malpaso Gang, Aberdeen's premier Country band) are playing Musa on Sunday as our debut gig. As our steel player Son Henry puts it, "a gig is worth ten rehearsals".

But we are also playing Musa in January on a Saturday night for a fee, so we are of course happy to help get their Sunday night thing going. :)

Give them a break Adam.

I get that completely, it was really this quote that irked me:

if you're a new band in your early stages, or in fact any kind of artist, you can't always expect to be paid

Surely the proprietor can claim band fee's back as an expense,like they do when the pay jazz acts on a Friday or Saturday.Just an idea,maybe you should get your bosses to buy some studio time for,the acts to go into the studio and record some of their tunes,if they don't want to give out money!

As a young artist I am up for any oppertunity to exhibit my work, and there is a very slim chance that I will get paid. You need to get yourself out there first.

At what stage, then, does a band become fee-worthy? I don't know anything about the art 'industry', so couldn't comment on that, I'm afraid.

I don't at all mean to have a go at you, just curious. :)

When they can attract a decent crowd?

As defined as..? 20 people through the door? 30?

It just sounds to me like its an excuse not to pay bands, and as cynical as this may be, what are the chances of them actually saying "oh, there's been a decent crowd in tonight, here's 30"?

But you make a good point. I'll be interested to hear how you get on playing, may even pop down on Sunday for some decent beer and cheese. :)

[EDIT= Oh, and the music, obv.]

As defined as..? 20 people through the door? 30?

It just sounds to me like its an excuse not to pay bands, and as cynical as this may be, what are the chances of them actually saying "oh, there's been a decent crowd in tonight, here's 30"?

But you make a good point. I'll be interested to hear how you get on playing, may even pop down on Sunday for some decent beer and cheese. :)

[EDIT= Oh, and the music, obv.]

Adam, as a musician myself, I have no desire to look for an excuse to not pay a band/musician. I make sure I can get the best deal possible for all musicians who come to play at Musa.

As for crowd size, that depends on the venue. At Musa, on this first Sunday night, I would say that about 40 people would be a successful crowd. Although I would hope for a lot more in the following weeks.

I might add that I will be there on Sunday (unpaid) to make sure that I can get the best deal for the musicians.

I was "trying" to be subtle but some of you obviously got my meaning.

yes , people can choose to play for free / beer / whatever , but , if they do it gives the venue the excuse not to bother with established acts who will expect to be paid for what they do , surely long term this is bad for for the venue too as a procession of upcoming free acts will not bring enough people through the doors to make a profit.

I'll give you an example , for years the malt mill had music pretty much 6 nights a week , mostly established local bands who pulled a crowd , a new manager didn't like paying for the bands and started putting on young bands who would play for free , result their mums , dads , aunties and chums came along , bought one drink and went home , the regulars stayed away in droves and the place shut down.

I know you say you are trying to get this sunday thing off the gound but why should you expect anyone who has invested time and money in learning how to play / sing / whatever to do it for free ?