aberdeen-music

Gig Promoter

Le_Chuck

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to post this?

But what i am looking for is i am interested in helping out gig promoting in Aberdeen not just promoting but being involved, there is various different things i can think of to be involved in.

What i was wondering is if anyone knows where to start cause really i am stumped.

Any information/contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Craig

I am Le_chuck complete cock up on my part.

Couldn't figure out how to retrieve password. Then i couldnt find this thread was a disaster so i reposted.

Sorry for inconveince.

To be honest i am not to sure what i want to do. i just know i want to give something a go on a part bases see how i get on.

if it be handing out flyers/taking names/internet promoting.

whatever willing to give anything a go really.

Just want to get out there be noticed if that makes sence to anyone. :)

Cheers

Again

Craig

Guest idol_wild
I am Le_chuck complete cock up on my part.

Couldn't figure out how to retrieve password. Then i couldnt find this thread was a disaster so i reposted.

Sorry for inconveince.

To be honest i am not to sure what i want to do. i just know i want to give something a go on a part bases see how i get on.

if it be handing out flyers/taking names/internet promoting.

whatever willing to give anything a go really.

Just want to get out there be noticed if that makes sence to anyone. :)

Cheers

Again

Craig

You want to get involved in the music scene in order to "be noticed"?

What happened to just loving the music, man? If any promoter does what they do just to "be noticed", then their motivation is a bit skewed and misplaced.

That said, you are at least enthusiastic. Good luck - I'm sure someone could use your assistance. Offer your services to perhaps sit on the door and take tickets/money. That was the part of putting on a show that I liked the least, and I would always look for people to help out on that front.

What sort of thing are you looking to get involved with? Have you got any experience?

I should be starting up 2 new nights next year and will likely need a hand.

2 new nights?

if you don't mind me asking whats the 2 nights? and where would they be?

What kind of thing do you do?

Really not sure to be honest. need pointed in the right direction.

You want to get involved in the music scene in order to "be noticed"?

What happened to just loving the music, man? If any promoter does what they do just to "be noticed", then their motivation is a bit skewed and misplaced.

That said, you are at least enthusiastic. Good luck - I'm sure someone could use your assistance. Offer your services to perhaps sit on the door and take tickets/money. That was the part of putting on a show that I liked the least, and I would always look for people to help out on that front.

No no i love music more than anything.

i mean being noticed by people seeing that im not half bad at something like this. climb the food chain. haha and maybe one day make a living off it. helping promote something i love.

Guest idol_wild
No no i love music more than anything.

i mean being noticed by people seeing that im not half bad at something like this. climb the food chain. haha and maybe one day make a living off it. helping promote something i love.

There's very little opportunity to make a living out of promoting bands. I can assure you of that. If you get involved with helping out, you'll soon realise that.

Besides, all the properly good promoters I personally have encountered don't promote for profit - they promote purely for the love of music and give any profits from shows to the artists they promote. :up:

Yeah, as Idol_Wild says it's definitely not about the benjamins.

If you're interested about promoting do it as a means to getting the bands you love to play the city you live in and actively helping local bands that you love get the exposure they deserve. It's food for the soul not green for you wallet (as there will be sweet fa of that i assure you!).

There's very little opportunity to make a living out of promoting bands. I can assure you of that. If you get involved with helping out, you'll soon realise that.

Besides, all the properly good promoters I personally have encountered don't promote for profit - they promote purely for the love of music and give any profits from shows to the artists they promote. :up:

Fair enough.

Actually hearing that made me think yea that is the right way to be. :)

The real idea in mine would be to hekp out a venue in getting acts to play. promoting them.. etc.. all on a part time basis though (as thats all i can offer at the minute) Obviously for free.

So if anyone knows that type of thing? (my experiance is also lacking) but hey easy to learn isnt it. :)

Cheers

Guys!

Yeah, as Idol_Wild says it's definitely not about the benjamins.

If you're interested about promoting do it as a means to getting the bands you love to play the city you live in and actively helping local bands that you love get the exposure they deserve. It's food for the soul not green for you wallet (as there will be sweet fa of that i assure you!).

Yea thats exactly the thought in mind. i maybe never meant to it for a living. i rather meant focus more time on it than i can currently offer.

But yes exactly what i was thinking. Get Bands to play here etc.. i'd love to do that.. but as i say where to start.. haha

:)

Thanks

Guest idol_wild
Fair enough.

Actually hearing that made me think yea that is the right way to be. :)

The real idea in mine would be to hekp out a venue in getting acts to play. promoting them.. etc.. all on a part time basis though (as thats all i can offer at the minute) Obviously for free.

So if anyone knows that type of thing? (my experiance is also lacking) but hey easy to learn isnt it. :)

Cheers

Guys!

Go into the Cavern record shop on Belmont Street and ask to speak to Hen. He's the inhouse booker for The Tunnels and Drummonds, and offer to get involved with flyer and poster distribution, in addition to manning the door at their gigs, and underline your enthusiasm. If you're willing to do it unpaid, then I'm sure he'd be delighted to have you onboard to help him out and increase your experience and perhaps give you an insight into the basics involved.

Go into the Cavern record shop on Belmont Street and ask to speak to Hen. He's the inhouse booker for The Tunnels and Drummonds, and offer to get involved with flyer and poster distribution, in addition to manning the door at their gigs, and underline your enthusiasm. If you're willing to do it unpaid, then I'm sure he'd be delighted to have you onboard to help him out and increase your experience and perhaps give you an insight into the basics involved.

Perfect, the exact type of person i am looking for.

i shall let you know how i get on. incase that intrests you :) haha

Thanks alot mate.

This is a post to pay attention to. If you get involved with promoting, especially if it's a part time thing, you'll soon see that the money is generally on a very thin line between profit and loss. The losses are always bigger than the profits too!!

My main reason for putting on a night is for the fun of it really. You get a thrill out of seeing folk enjoy an event you've created. It's also a challange to be organised enough to make it work well.

Can't say much about the nights yet as I'm still working on the concepts. One of them I'm going to be helping with is going to be a mix of different genres of music with increasing BPM as the night progresses, mixing up different DJs that might not noramally be on the same bill. The other night is going to be similar to funkmachine nights I put on in the past but with a big shift in emphasis towards live electronic music and generally ace tunes. Good vibes are essential. They will hopefully be interesting and fun to both come along to and get involved with. At the moment I'm in discussions with various people about how the nights might work.

I like people getting involved if they have imaginiation and the drive to make it happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Gig promotion

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to post this?

But what i am looking for is i am interested in helping out gig promoting in Aberdeen not just promoting but being involved, there is various different things i can think of to be involved in.

What i was wondering is if anyone knows where to start cause really i am stumped.

Any information/contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Craig

hi craig , hen from the tunnels and cafe drummond here

i`m always looking for a hand

give me a call on 619930

hen