aberdeen-music

Moorings Bar seeks members for it's in-house band

Flash@TMB

I'm finding Sunday nights are currently lacking in job satisfaction. The open mic should be fun, but only infrequently has everything clicked together as something cohesive... err like music. The early part of the evening is starting to gel, but later on it gets patchy. We've come close to the mark a few times, but failed to reach critical mass.

The solution to this would be an in-house band with a large revolving cast. There are already some good musicians in regular attendance, but the numbers need to swell substantially in order to take things to reach the desired level. The house band would need to gradually craft a repatoire of tunes.

Unfortunately there would be no direct payment for any services rendered... last time we tried this it attracted some decent people but also a small faction of small minded mercenary take, take take, type participant... there would however be a demonstration of appreciation by other means.

The bar provides all necessary equipment, even including sticks, strings, and picks... let alone the amps, instruments, and kit.

We're looking for people that have nothing better to do on a Sunday night than figure out how to play a bunch of tunes they probably don't know, surrounded by musicians they've probably never played with, while getting wasted on the cheap. Arrangements can be reached regarding any transport issues etc.

Prospective participants would have to be capable of enduring weeks of embaressment before things start to ROCK. They'd have to want to do this for the same reason I do - for the crack. That's crack with a small 'c' BTW.

Get in touch if you're interested. I'll even get t-shirts printed, something like "I suck at The Moorings every Sunday".

Guest Bob Double Jack

Unfortunately there would be no direct payment for any services rendered... last time we tried this it attracted some decent people but also a small faction of small minded mercenary take' date=' take take, type participant... there would however be a demonstration of appreciation by other means.

I'll even get t-shirts printed, something like "I suck at The Moorings every Sunday".[/quote']

Has the last line not answered the payment question then?

:laughing:

Oh and by the way - this is a joke! Before some sort of argument ensues.

Fit aboot getting yer plumbing sorted oot?' date='the taps in the bogs STILL dinna work.[/quote']

They do, they were fixed - you just need to push HARDER. They're regulation prison strength. Next time you're in I'll demonstrate.

The (cough) urinal extension installed today, so hopefully that'll keep this pish off the floor.

Your obsession with our toilets has completely altered my preconceptions of aging punk rockers. I bet you use pink quadruple ply extra soft velvet new born puppy bog roll at home. The confirms my suspicion that Vivian from the Young Ones was a fictional character.

Has the last line not answered the payment question then?

:laughing:

Oh and by the way - this is a joke! Before some sort of argument ensues.

Err yes that's why I typed it???

Unfortunately operating a paid jam for a year with err... professionals, incurred a total loss >2100. The year before without a jam we made a profit of >4500 for those days. So we were 6600 worse off.

I'm still game to do a jam though... hence the change in tactics. It's gotta be for fun.

bar staff

do they work for fun tae? I have been in many in house bands and love it ,but I at least deserve as much pay as the bar staff,after all, being comitted to giving up every Sunday night deserves something,and , as I will be driving ,cannot get pissed,.

yeah i can often enjoy a lot of the jams i have shared there, no matter how long and samey they may sound... But the first time i went there was an awesome drummer who I felt blended nicely with what i was trying to play. Recently, there have been no drummers... well... theres been a big lack in a skilled drummer behind the kit, which is quite frustrating! More drummers!!!!!!

If you consider playing music work then I guess that makes you a professional musician. We're not seeking professional musicians.

We have 3 options.

1) Pay professional musicians to work, despite the fact that the jam doesn't bring in enough extra business in to cover their costs. Err DOH!

2) Scrap the jam altogether and have 1 day a week off. Not a bad idea.

3) Find out whether any people exist that would like to play on a Sunday night purely for the crack. Apparently they do. Who knows I may even dream up so smart way of covering their costs plus rewarding them??? But first I'm interested to see who's up for it.

Incidentally despite spending around 30 hours a week in the bar every week for the last 2 years, obstensibly working, I have never been paid, nor taken any profits from the bar. Neither has Laura. We do it for the crack. I work a further 40 hours a week elsewhere to earn money.

Guest Laura@TMB
We do it for the crack. I work a further 40 hours a week elsewhere to earn money.

And I am a part-time hooker.... hence why we do it for the crack!

*this is a joke*

Hmm... I guess I would be interested' date=' can do a some guitar work and I consider myself a reasonable singer...

What sorta thing will this involve?[/quote']

Err... in your case singing and playing guitar.

Basically the band figures out what everyone can almost play, then attemps to. I'm there to make you sound good and help you get drunk.

• 2 weeks later...