aberdeen-music

Pedal help

James Broonbreed

I remember ages ago seing an effect pedal that was basically a wah pedal but instead of being controlled by your foot, the pot was just moved by a normal dial which you set to the frequency you wanted and left there.

Does anyone know who makes these? I've tried googling it but it's pretty hard to get google to understand what the fuck I'm on about.

Cheers

Well the tone knob on my guitar would sound nothing like a wah. Also, I doubt a graphic EQ would be the same because a wah is more like a sweepable band pass so you can choose the frequency of your Q point. A parametric EQ would work however it's a bit over the top for what I'm after. Cheers for all the suggestions though.

Dunlop KFK Q Zone (GAK)

It's pretty much like this thing I reckon except the one I remember wasn't dunlop and it just had 1 pot and an on/off switch.

if it's just for setting the frequency and leaving there... as in, not having to go through the frequency range to get to it. have a look for an old Morley Wah.

Can't remember which specific model it was, but instead of the later "pressure sensitive" ones, there was an on/off switch to the right of the wah pedal.

that way, in future, if you decided you wanted to change the frequency of the wah whilst playing guitar (ie...play it like a general wah pedal rather than an auto) you could do it.

The pressure sensitive ones would work too... if you have a steady foot ;)

The device you are looking for is an Auto Wah.

New MXR M-120 Auto Q Auto Wah Envelope Filter on eBay (end time 17-Nov-10 22:33:08 GMT)

There is also the fixed auto-wah, that just sweeps back and forth, but the proper auto-wah sets the depth of the filter by the volume envelope and therefore gives you that funky-chicken sound for the rhythm guitar (but only when played properly!!!)

A regular wah pedal is still a must-have and take a look at the Heil Talk Box, though they cost far too much and you can build one yourself for very little money.

The device you are looking for is an Auto Wah.

New MXR M-120 Auto Q Auto Wah Envelope Filter on eBay (end time 17-Nov-10 22:33:08 GMT)

There is also the fixed auto-wah, that just sweeps back and forth, but the proper auto-wah sets the depth of the filter by the volume envelope and therefore gives you that funky-chicken sound for the rhythm guitar (but only when played properly!!!)

A regular wah pedal is still a must-have and take a look at the Heil Talk Box, though they cost far too much and you can build one yourself for very little money.

Yeah, like Mark and I said, it's not an auto wah. I've found what it was and posted a link to it. Also, it's not a fixed auto wah and it's definitely not a talk box.

P.S. Funky chickens are not cool.