aberdeen-music

Waxwings

Mr Owl PhD

I know a few folks here are interested in birds and so you might like to know that this winter looks like being particularly good for Waxwings. We usually get a few each year but already there are hundreds around town. Here are some of the 700 I saw in Kincorth today.

attachment.php?attachmentid=290907&d=1288468201

attachment.php?attachmentid=290908&d=1288468240

attachment.php?attachmentid=290909&d=1288468266

attachment.php?attachmentid=290922&d=1288470218

attachment.php?attachmentid=290926&d=1288470350

attachment.php?attachmentid=290927&d=1288470424

yeh thanks for sharing this, plus the photos are great.

any ideas why theve flocked here?

yeh thanks for sharing this, plus the photos are great.

any ideas why theve flocked here?

I think they like Kincorth because there's lots of rowan trees there, so lots of berries. Aberdeen is probably the best area of the UK for them maybe because it's closer to their breeding areas (northern Scandinavia, Russia) and they tend to come in from the north. They congregate in cities (maybe because there are lots of berry-bearing trees in cities) so northern cities always tend to do well. The best numbers at the moment are in Aberdeen and Inverness, although they're spread through much of the country in smaller numbers.

Still lots of Waxwings around. Yesterday folk were putting colour rings on them in Allenvale to help track where they go. A few years ago a Waxwing ringed in Aberdeen was found (I think brought in by a cat!) in central Russia.

attachment.php?attachmentid=291235&d=1288607376

Probably my stupid bro! Still heaps of berries in my garden ripe for the picking.

Not taken much of an interest in this before... I've never noticed anything other than crows and wood pigeons out here in Banchory.

Those two statements may be related.

Wouldn't say wood pigeons are sky rats. The pigeons out here are vastly different to the scabby, ratty pigeons you get in Aberdeen.

Also wood pigeon = tasty.

I mean it more in the way they aren't very pretty to look at and extremely uninteresting.

Better than the aberdeen ones of course. I love birds but i've taken a close enough interest to be able to identify what kind of bird one was when i see them. Might start taking a closer look, i love birds in artwork and photography.

I hope you don't mean crows are uninteresting. Crows are brilliant. The whole corvus family is.