aberdeen-music

You Rock Guitars

Bigsby

It's just a silly toy really isn't it. I can't see it catching on.

For gamers and first time guitar players, the You Rock Mode auto-corrects finger positioning mistakes and digitally filters out wrong notes, making you sound like a real rocker from beat one.

Fantastic. A new generation of sloppy guitarists is born! In my day we got hit across the knuckles with a ruler for fucking up a chord, none of this autocorrect nonsense.

There's a load about it on Amazon:

Inspired Instruments YRG-1000 You Rock Guitar: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

Makes more sense then guitar hero.

I never really got why people didnt just go and learn to play a real guitar.

Guitar Hero is a game that can be fun to play even if you aren't particularly good at it because you can change the difficulty setting to match your skill level and end up with a song that sounds the same as it would if you were playing on the hardest setting.

Real guitar takes a lot more time and dedication to get to a high enough standard to not sound awful. Most people don't care enough to get to that level, they just want to have a bit of fun playing a game without it sounding shit.

It's just a silly toy really isn't it. I can't see it catching on.

Fantastic. A new generation of sloppy guitarists is born! In my day we got hit across the knuckles with a ruler for fucking up a chord, none of this autocorrect nonsense.

There's a load about it on Amazon:

Inspired Instruments YRG-1000 You Rock Guitar: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

If it genuinely offers an easy way for a guitarist to connect up via midi and access a load of new sounds, then if it's around 100 notes I can see it being quite worthwhile for home recording and the like.

If it genuinely offers an easy way for a guitarist to connect up via midi and access a load of new sounds, then if it's around 100 notes I can see it being quite worthwhile for home recording and the like.

Yeah, this was going to be my point before my thoughts were derailed. Another interesting tool for the sound arsenal.

I'm totally interested in the latency free midi aspect of it, but am unsure whether you can use it as is to control an external synth, it says it has a legacy MIDI port, so it should be possible, but implementation is everything. To write parts into a sequencer without any extra gear or compatibility issues, would also be great, playing VSTis etc. I'll have to read a review in a trusted source first, Sound On Sound or Guitarist, or the opinion of someone on here who has used it.

It looks boggin' though, they could make it look sci fi as fuck.

Looks cheap, is cheap, probably annoying.

I dont think It could be trusted live. Also I know I wouldnt get any points from waving it at the sluts.

Like said, Ill wait for a reliable review first before I think about purchasing it. Im guessing it'll be a nightmare to get it the majority of its features to work with your DAW.

Anything that gets people playing a guitar is a good thing. Electronic keyboards have been doing the built in tutorial that doesn't sound wrong notes for years, this is just a natural progression.

Do you know anyone who's actually taught themselves to a decent level using those keyboards?

Id imagine learning the shapes on the midi then picking up a real guitar. Only to find its heavy, the strings dig into your skin and it doesnt attract women like promised. Would be quite the let down.

Atleast with keyboard you know before hand you aint getting any.

Do you know anyone who's actually taught themselves to a decent level using those keyboards?

Id imagine learning the shapes on the midi then picking up a real guitar. Only to find its heavy, the strings dig into your skin and it doesnt attract women like promised. Would be quite the let down.

Tell that to Rick Wakeman.

I'm sure some people find it useful. The idea doesn't seem terrible and if it means people maybe persevere a bit longer than they might have if they heard all the horrible sounds they were really making then it seems ok to me.

I'm sure some people find it useful. The idea doesn't seem terrible and if it means people maybe persevere a bit longer than they might have if they heard all the horrible sounds they were really making then it seems ok to me.

I think keyboard to say a digital piano, after playing both I find theres not much of a leap physically between the two. Bit more graft required to sound the notes and the key size (scale?) changes slightly.

Id dare say a glorified guitar hero controller to a real guitar is quite different. Learning guitar has been simplified to the point where if you cant play basic stuff after a few weeks with a chord book. You need to have a good hard look at yourself and maybe face the fact that youre drummer material.

IMO it wouldnt make a good learning tool. However if it delivers on the spec is says on the site I think it would make a great creative tool for guitarists. God knows how many hours ive spent transposing riffs and chords onto keyboard. Or having to use a keyboard to get the rhythm right/lose that programmed feel.

Guitar Hero is a game that can be fun to play even if you aren't particularly good at it because you can change the difficulty setting to match your skill level and end up with a song that sounds the same as it would if you were playing on the hardest setting.

Real guitar takes a lot more time and dedication to get to a high enough standard to not sound awful. Most people don't care enough to get to that level, they just want to have a bit of fun playing a game without it sounding shit.

Yeh true enough for the people who just like to chill and play it on easy.

I was thinking more about some of my mates who spend ages mastering songs on the hardest difficulty.

If they spent that time on a real guitar they would probably be able to play some simpler stuff quite well.

I predicted it wouldn't be long before someone made something like that.

No idea if it's any good or not but it is a very interesting idea indeed.

Eventually it will be possible to properly learn the guitar using video games and you can get a score at end of each time you practice etc.

I take it you haven't seen anything about Rock Band 3 that comes out tomorrow's "pro" mode? They're releasing a plastic guitar with around 100 buttons to emulate strings, and at the beginning of next year they're releasing this:

fendersquirestrat.000_1276286364.jpg

Yes, it's a real guitar. It can be plugged into an amp while you play along with the game. It also has full midi capabilities (it plugs into a midi controller which plugs into your xbox/ps3 etc.). I've always enjoyed the game aspect of rock band/guitar hero, it's a good laugh getting your mates around and pissing about with it. They've just taken it a step beyond with this new incarnation though. They've said its based on a $250 guitar body, so I expect it to be at least $300-350, so 225-275 over here I reckon. I'll be pre-ordering it for sure. :)

Here's the official info:

Squier by Fender Stratocaster Guitar and Controller

edit:

Oh, and in case you wonder how it handles songs that are performed in non E-standard tuning - the black thing that looks like a single coil is actually a raisable rubber stopper that'll stop the strings ringing out and sounding awful when playing along. You could always just create playlists of standard and non-standard tuned songs and change between them as you like though. It's fairly clever and I guess the only solution they could come up with keeping the budget down.

So what the fuck is taking Fender (or every other guitar manufacturer) so long to come out with an all-in-one guitar/synth, with no latency, no extra interfaces or fugly hex p/u shite (could use graphtec saddles or whatever), with good analogue* modelling. In fact, since the Korg Monotron shows that analogue synth tech is more versatile and acheivable than ever before, it doesn't even need to be a modelling synth. When the VG strat came out I thought the cool synth counterpart would be round the corner, I was wrong.

*Or FM, or additive synthesis, even some decent PCM sounds.