aberdeen-music

MOGWAI @ The Music Hall - Saturday 29th January - 7.30pm

Guest idol_wild
I'd go as far as saying that it's really not worth discussing. If something like that makes you want to walk out of a gig you need yr head examined. Agree it look antagonistic but most Mogwai fans realise it's part of their identity and it's used out of pride rather than to offend. Their Orange cabs say 'Green' as well, ha. It's just who they are

Precisely. Good post.

I'd also suggest that there were probably people in the audience with more right to take offence than ickle wee Aberdeen fans.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought Mogwai was amazing but i was pretty close to walking out before the 2nd song with the Celtic scarf on the drum kit.

No fucking need for that.Anyway i was already pissed with the performance of Aberdeen yesterday and mogwai might find i won't buy there album on that - petty yes indeed

As others have already mentioned, if that seriously bothered you then perhaps you should think about why you actually go to gigs. Every Mogwai show I've been to there has been some kind of Celtic paraphenalia on show. Who fucking cares? I was at Hampden but couldn't have cared less once I got to the show.

The show - moments of utter genius with a few flat bits. I've seen them play better, but overall still an amazing band.

I thought the crowd was a bit flat. 11 year wait? Fitba come-down? Venue? Dunno...

Guest idol_wild

I thought the crowd was a bit flat. 11 year wait? Fitba come-down? Venue? Dunno...

The change in venue convinced me not to go, in the end. I have never really had good gig experiences in the Music Hall, and my fear was that some people would just be too far away from the stage to feel properly involved with the music and the performance. But from what I gather, even people down near the stage were a bit flat, too. Pity.

Still looking forward to seeing them down here in a couple of weeks, regardless of some of the negatives being offered about last night. YEAH!

The change in venue convinced me not to go, in the end. I have never really had good gig experiences in the Music Hall, and my fear was that some people would just be too far away from the stage to feel properly involved with the music and the performance. But from what I gather, even people down near the stage were a bit flat, too. Pity.

Still looking forward to seeing them down here in a couple of weeks, regardless of some of the negatives being offered about last night. YEAH!

Over the past x years that imp has been trying to get Mogwai back to Aberdeen, the one thing we kept going back to was where to do it, in order to avoid the problems of last time and still make it 'an event'.

Tunnels was discussed, as was Woodend Barn, Cowdray Hall, Beach Ballroom and countless others...

i genuinely believe the sound was the biggest let down. up until the final 3rd of the gig it was really quiet with no real definition in the sound. it would've been awesome in the lemon tree, ah well, can't win em all.

good gig overall though and now i don't need to boycott them in other cities so i can go see them at a good venue :)

Over the past x years that imp has been trying to get Mogwai back to Aberdeen, the one thing we kept going back to was where to do it, in order to avoid the problems of last time and still make it 'an event'.

Tunnels was discussed, as was Woodend Barn, Cowdray Hall, Beach Ballroom and countless others...

mogwai at woodend barn would be ace, if a little odd.

Guest dopethrone

i cant complain. i loved every second of it. the quiet bits were quiet, the loud bits were FUCKING LOUD, and they played *almost* everything i wanted to hear.

great.

As others have already mentioned, if that seriously bothered you then perhaps you should think about why you actually go to gigs. Every Mogwai show I've been to there has been some kind of Celtic paraphenalia on show. Who fucking cares? I was at Hampden but couldn't have cared less once I got to the show.

The show - moments of utter genius with a few flat bits. I've seen them play better, but overall still an amazing band.

Yes, oh yes. Hail hail boys.

i really liked that one that started slow and got louder. i suppose the show wasn't bad. i quite liked the last remember remember song, but have no idea why they needed that many people on stage? the drums were a bit odd as well. i thought the sound was off (especially the snare drum during mogwai). it was very LOUD at times though - and there were a couple of moments that really worked, ...but it did start to drag. i would have liked something from cody or young team (there was one from rock action and HSFHP?); but only because i've not really listened to any other mogwai records.

also - yeah, pretty much void of atmosphere.

Gig was great.

Gutted I missed most of RR's due to being a twat, what I saw I liked, although very different from the other times Ive seen them, if anything slightly less of a spectacle than it is with fewer members, enjoyable nonetheless.

Mogwai were brilliant, having only seen them once before and in no way a hardcore fan I didnt know half the songs but was grinning through around 95% of the set. It seems so effortless to them. Thought the sound was pretty spot on (I was about 3 rows from the front), agree about the snare drum at the start of the set being a bit loud.

I really dont know what some folk expected.

I'd go as far as saying that it's really not worth discussing. If something like that makes you want to walk out of a gig you need yr head examined. Agree it look antagonistic but most Mogwai fans realise it's part of their identity and it's used out of pride rather than to offend. Their Orange cabs say 'Green' as well, ha. It's just who they are.

I enjoyed their set immensely. Crowd were shite though.

Are they not just Matamp cabs?

Welcome to the official MATAMP Amplification Factory Website - Cabinets - 2x15 - 800 watts Celestion speakers

/pointlesspedantry

I have to say I wasn't that impressed by Mogwai. To me the tunes sounded very samey. I was really into it for about half an hour and then I got bored. Didn't like the mix much either ... there was one tune towards the end that had some sequenced bass in the last few bars. When that dropped in I realised quite how empty and toppy the mix was. (I'm going to assume that they want it that way.)

I've seen one or two comments along the lines of "no atmosphere" or "the crowd were rubbish"...didn't really see the band make much of an attempt to interact with the audience, bass player seemed pretty bored!!! Surely we've all seen and played enough gigs to realise that the band has to meet the audience half way and at least acknowledge the fact that there are a bunch of other people standing in the room.

Glad I've seen them 'cos I wanted to understand what they were about but I wouldn't bother seeing them again and certainly not at damn near 20 a pop.

Bring on Maceo Parker @ The Lemon Tree :up:

And by the way ... walking out a gig because of a football scarf???!?!? o_O I knew there was a reason why I prefer watching rugby.

I fair enjoyed the gig, but can understand how others might not have been so impressed.

We were surrounded by cunts who, between songs, were shouting with regard to the Celtic scarf and also continually talked over quiet parts of the songs. Fuck you, cuntos.

Fair play to vega for pointing out the bass player was actually Matthew Upson...