aberdeen-music

The Christmas Gift Ideas Thread

Adam Easy Wishes

So, it's nearly Christmas.

I propose a thread to share decent and/or unusual gift ideas for EVERYONE - mum, dad, sister, brother, slave, boyfriend, girlfriend, son, daughter.

By far the worst thing about buying gifts for people is trying to think of something good to get them.

I'll kick off with a fairly obvious one, but decent nonetheless...and one any bloody bloke would appreciate (dad, brother, son), but not girls. Girls hate beer and love wine.

Buy BrewDog beer | BrewDog online shop

[EDIT= Please see here for the 2008 version: http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/general-discussion/52345-christmas-presents-your-o-h.html ]

So, it's nearly Christmas.

I propose a thread to share decent and/or unusual gift ideas for EVERYONE - mum, dad, sister, brother, slave, boyfriend, girlfriend, son, daughter.

By far the worst thing about buying gifts for people is trying to think of something good to get them.

I'll kick off with a fairly obvious one, but decent nonetheless...and one any bloody bloke would appreciate (dad, brother, son), but not girls. Girls hate beer and love wine.

Buy BrewDog beer | BrewDog online shop

[EDIT= Please see here for the 2008 version: http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/general-discussion/52345-christmas-presents-your-o-h.html ]

I just bought some Pen and Ink Artwork by Geoff Taylor used in the David Eddings book Belgarath the Sorceror for my other half, is that unusual enough ?

eddings-belgarath02_.jpg

and

eddings-belgarath03_2009.jpg

and Willo the Wisp on DVD... more will no doubt come when i think of interesting enough things...

I bet his clouds still refuse to move any way other than scudding, oi, Eddings, find another way to describe the movement of clouds, ye bass.

I have to admit i've never actually managed to get through an Eddings book but she likes the earlier stuff, there was quite a nice piece of artwork i nearly bought but she wouldnt let me because the book was so terrible apparently. I usually prefer stuff like Terry Brooks, but switching back into present buying - I also just bought a Captain Planet animation cell for her, and last year I got her a complete set of Enid Blyton 5 find outer and dog set, amongst other things, so maybe best not to take my example - I'm currently reading The Mystery of the Spitefull Letters from it though :p

1st edition books are quite a good present. Or if too pricey, early editions. Regular books can be a bit boring and you never know if someone will like the book you bought them but they're bound to like an old print of a book they love.

Another present I gave recently was a personalised book. It was for my sister's boyfriend who is an art student. We got a bunch of his images and installations and sent them off to this website, the name of which i've forgotten, and they send you a proper coffee table book completely personalised by yourself. We even wrote a jokey intro and put 'quotes' on the sleeve like "This really is Art attack', Neil Buchanan." Good idea for artists and photographers and also girls (or guys) who cook... collate some of their favourite recipes. The great thing about it is that the book is then on general sale too and you get money if someone buys it.

edit: it's blurb.com

I dont believe in just going out, looking through the argos catalogue and buying some souless crap straight off the shelf. I like the idea of spending hours making something with someone in mind.

Not being any good at anything creative I spliced rope into all manner of shapes. Although they looked good they had no practical use what so ever.

When I handed the wrapped up bundle I told them how I spent hours at it, how it caused my nails to split and skin to crack. They would look me in the eye and be like 'oh its lovely, thanks'. None of them had the heart to tell me it was total sh*te.

PM for cheap splicing lessons.

If anyone has good Dad-present ideas, please let me know - its impossible to get my dad something! He doesn't like DVDs because he doesn't see the point of watching the same film twice ?(, CDs are a no-go because when I asked what music he's into at the moment I got a 'hmmm, da ken, bit o athin really'. He doesn't really drink in the house, so a nice bottle of something would be a bit of a waste. Bah. Help!

just a heads up, free fiver to spend in debenhams when you register here;

http://w.shopdebenhams.com/nms/jsp/webForm.jsp?fo=VoucherDebsUKemail

no minimum spend apparently. i'm probably going to make up a load of alter-egos and bankrupt debenhams, or at least make a dent in their christmas stocking filler levels.

more details; Free 5 voucher to spend instore (no minimum spend) @ Debenhams - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

If anyone has good Dad-present ideas, please let me know - its impossible to get my dad something! He doesn't like DVDs because he doesn't see the point of watching the same film twice ?(, CDs are a no-go because when I asked what music he's into at the moment I got a 'hmmm, da ken, bit o athin really'. He doesn't really drink in the house, so a nice bottle of something would be a bit of a waste. Bah. Help!

Does he like gardening or similar?

Jumper, shirt, tie, aftershave, books?

Buy him some Just For Men now, and by Christmas he'll need MORE TIES!

• Upvote 1