aberdeen-music

Johnny Foreigner + Stagecoach @ Caf Drummonds

Huw

This was really good, despite the children in the crowd making it really awkward at the start of JoFos set. Johnny Foreigner were great. Shit chat and catchy tunes.

I quite enjoyed Duke as well but really didn't like the song they said they just made a video for. Which is a shame because the rest of the songs before that were all pretty good.

Also whoever was on the sound last night got it pretty much spot on so props to them.

Didnt catch the first band, I really like Duke anyway and thought they were sounding damn good last night. Johnny Foreigner were great, I hadnt actually got that into them before but may have to stock up on their stuff.

The pancake off the face at least had a back story (as in the singer had refused the offer of a pancake from said kid at load in) but still pretty knobish. Still if it wasnt for kids there would be fuck all atmosphere at a lot of gigs and indeed fuck all people at a lot of gigs.

All in all a good night and weird to leave Tunnels reasonably sober.

Didnt catch the first band, I really like Duke anyway and thought they were sounding damn good last night. Johnny Foreigner were great, I hadnt actually got that into them before but may have to stock up on their stuff.

The pancake off the face at least had a back story (as in the singer had refused the offer of a pancake from said kid at load in) but still pretty knobish. Still if it wasnt for kids there would be fuck all atmosphere at a lot of gigs and indeed fuck all people at a lot of gigs.

All in all a good night and weird to leave Tunnels reasonably sober.

You're so right mate. I would hate to be at a rock show that was full of twenty somethings standing there watching. I'm one of those twenty somethings but I enjoy seeing a gig where kids are having fun. You're also right in your last sentence. I've noticed that half the people who complain about a lack of good gigs in Aberdeen never actually go to gigs. Lets just let the music scene sort itself then yeah? Silly!

You're so right mate. I would hate to be at a rock show that was full of twenty somethings standing there watching. I'm one of those twenty somethings but I enjoy seeing a gig where kids are having fun. You're also right in your last sentence. I've noticed that half the people who complain about a lack of good gigs in Aberdeen never actually go to gigs. Lets just let the music scene sort itself then yeah? Silly!

Bollocks. That's the first time I've been to a gig in ages when they've let the younger people in and none of the other ones have been empty at all.

If you're just meaning gigs where it's the latest throwaway trend that gets over saturated with shit, under practiced, generic copy bands in about a month, then yeah I imagine they would be half empty if it wasn't for the youth bopping along to whatever is currently popular.

I don't know what that really has to do with last night though, but yeah.

Yeah, this was right good. First of all, Duke were really good! I didn't think they'd be bad but its always a pleasant surprise when a young band are bloody good. I'd recommend checking them out/putting them on.

Jo Fo were great. I wasn't their biggest fan of all time ever, but I did like them. They really impressed me last night and now I really like them. I think said this about 50 times last night (even to the man himself) but Junior is the coolest man I've ever seen in the flesh. What a nice guy. Yeah, and I can't really post without mentioning: Kelly is wonderful. I bet her farts sound like laughter and smell of roses. Good lass.

Playing to younger crowds is a lot more fun than older ones, in general. The more all ages shows, the better, for the present and future as far as I'm concerned.

HOWEVER, you don't go to the front row of a gig and throw mushed up pancake at someone in the band's (or anyone's!) face, no matter what terrible backstory it involves. You don't then team up with a similarly annoying person in the front row and do the fucking macarena, elbowing people behind you in the process. You don't start a 'pit' which involves pushing a girl into people relentlessly. You also don't, when leaving the front row - and presumably the venue - fifteen minutes into the set, give everyone that you're saying goodbye to a hug and a few minutes of loud conversation, ESPECIALLY when they are also in the front row.

It's encouraging that young people still get excited about going to see live music, buying merch, etc. But whatever the age, the less attention-seeking, selfish 'antics' at gigs, the better.

• Upvote 1

Playing to younger crowds is a lot more fun than older ones, in general. The more all ages shows, the better, for the present and future as far as I'm concerned.

HOWEVER, you don't go to the front row of a gig and throw mushed up pancake at someone in the band's (or anyone's!) face, no matter what terrible backstory it involves. You don't then team up with a similarly annoying person in the front row and do the fucking macarena, elbowing people behind you in the process. You don't start a 'pit' which involves pushing a girl into people relentlessly. You also don't, when leaving the front row - and presumably the venue - fifteen minutes into the set, give everyone that you're saying goodbye to a hug and a few minutes of loud conversation, ESPECIALLY when they are also in the front row.

It's encouraging that young people still get excited about going to see live music, buying merch, etc. But whatever the age, the less attention-seeking, selfish 'antics' at gigs, the better.

Totally agree - I dont mean that they should be allowed to act like fuck wits, just meant that it should be encouraged for people of that age to go to gigs. Its a lot of effort for bands to come up this far and regardless of what age a person is, its good to see people attending. The band were grateful for most of it (prob not the pancake part) but were saying that they had seen most of the pesky kids in McDonalds before the gig and were discussing why they wouldnt be fans of good music - then were pleasantly surprised to see the same kids at the show.

We were all kids once and it used to bug me so much that I couldnt get into shows to see bands I loved, hence why all my shows are 14+. Fair enough a few of the ones on Tue were a bit annoying but honestly if kids werent into this kind of thing, gigs would be dead.

Whoever said that was bollocks above IS wrong. I dont think I put on the latest throwaway trend bands on the whole and I know for a fact its near on impossible to get alot of working people to go out during the week.

These kids at least arent sitting at home saving up to go to the next X Factor gig or spending their money on shitty i-tunes downloads - I know for a fact that the bunch of kids that are in question here have been to at least 6 or 7 of the shows Ive put on this year already and to me that is a positive thing that they are going to see bands like this unlike a lot of their mates.

Totally agree - I dont mean that they should be allowed to act like fuck wits, just meant that it should be encouraged for people of that age to go to gigs. Its a lot of effort for bands to come up this far and regardless of what age a person is, its good to see people attending. The band were grateful for most of it (prob not the pancake part) but were saying that they had seen most of the pesky kids in McDonalds before the gig and were discussing why they wouldnt be fans of good music - then were pleasantly surprised to see the same kids at the show.

We were all kids once and it used to bug me so much that I couldnt get into shows to see bands I loved, hence why all my shows are 14+. Fair enough a few of the ones on Tue were a bit annoying but honestly if kids werent into this kind of thing, gigs would be dead.

Whoever said that was bollocks above IS wrong. I dont think I put on the latest throwaway trend bands on the whole and I know for a fact its near on impossible to get alot of working people to go out during the week.

These kids at least arent sitting at home saving up to go to the next X Factor gig or spending their money on shitty i-tunes downloads - I know for a fact that the bunch of kids that are in question here have been to at least 6 or 7 of the shows Ive put on this year already and to me that is a positive thing that they are going to see bands like this unlike a lot of their mates.

Oh, absolutely - I just think it's important to treat them like adults (it's what you want at that age anyway, right?), and if an adult behaved in the way that some in attendance did they'd either be asked to leave or find themselves in a fight - I'm not suggesting that I'm going to deck the next teenager that annoys me at a show.

An aside, but I don't think there's anything wrong in the slightest with kids/anyone buying music from iTunes. Format is a personal preference at the end of the day, and at least they're PAYING for music, which is the main thing. I buy lots of vinyl but also download a lot from iTunes/Amazon.