aberdeen-music

The Internet in my house is awful

Adam Easy Wishes

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

998947882.png

I'm on Virgin 50Meg package. These poxy speed tests don't measure my connection properly, they seem to max out at around 20Mb/s but I know i'm getting the full 50 because I asked an engineer to check and also the speed at which I can download things is phenomenal. I'm not entirely sure the Virgin broabdand model is sustainable (they have loads of engineers who do same day house visits as soon as you have a problem and i'm sure all this installation of cables is costing them much more than they make from customers) but the sooner everywhere in the country is hooked up with fibre optic the better because there's none of this 'distance from the exchange' or 'up to 20Mb/s nonsense. It does exactly what it says on the tin.

Enough gloating. Adam, have you gone through all the usual diagnostics? i.e. is that your constant speed when connected via ethernet? plugged into the test socket? swapped micro filters? You'd be surprised the amount of people who have a dodgy connection purely due to a faulty secondary socket in their house that interferes or even something simple like a wireless channel that is being used by all the neighbours in their building. Phone them up, get them to do all that with you if you're not sure. If you get a numpty who doesn't have a clue, hang up and phone again till you get someone decent. The company won't take any action at the exchange untill they are sure it's not an internal problem.

I just stumbled upon this article and it was a good read:

::. Kitz - bRAS + IP Profile .::

It gives some insight into how your connection is configured on BT Wholesale's side. As I am told I can receive only up to 2Mbps on my connection from any ISP website with an availability checker, I suspect my IP profile could be stuck.

I am going to contact Demon today and see if they can look into it.

Orange home broadband, incredibly slow and always has been.

This is what SpeedTest.net had to say:

997912855.png

WTF? That's horrendous. Any ideas? I know nothing about configuring the connection from this end so any help at all would be much appreciated.

BT's speed test thingy says the line out here (Bucksburn) will handle 1.0 Mbps, so anywhere even close to that would be ideal.

I notice your ping times are horrendously bad which to me suggests the wiring at the phone socket in your house or the microfilter itself has failed (rare but it can happen).

The first (and easiest) thing to do is replace the microfilter if you can. You usually get two in the box you got the broadband router in, if not a trip to B&Q\Maplin might be in order. I very much doubt it will be this and its more likely you would lose your connection every time the phone home rang instead but it's worth ruling out.

The second thing I'd do is check the phone wiring in your house to confirm if it is the socket, here's a step by step guide:

DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help

It's really easy to check. Basically you only want wires in sockets 2 and 5, you can remove all others.

Another thing you may want to check on your router is your MTU configuration, which is basically the largest 'packet' of data you can send. The maximum value is usually 1500 but this should be set to auto. This will mainly affect upload speeds, but can have a noticable impact on loading web pages because if it is set to too low a value, you will need to send more 'packets' to request the web page (making it slower to load), and if it is too high a value, there's a higher overhead and therefore more prone to errors.

If you set it to auto, your ISP should handle this for you.

I notice your ping times are horrendously bad which to me suggests the wiring at the phone socket in your house or the microfilter itself has failed (rare but it can happen).

The first (and easiest) thing to do is replace the microfilter if you can. You usually get two in the box you got the broadband router in' date=' if not a trip to B&Q\Maplin might be in order. I very much doubt it will be this and its more likely you would lose your connection every time the phone home rang instead but it's worth ruling out.

The second thing I'd do is check the phone wiring in your house to confirm if it is the socket, here's a step by step guide:

DSL ZoneUK - Improve your speed - Extension wiring and Disconnection help

It's really easy to check. Basically you only want wires in sockets 2 and 5, you can remove all others.[/quote']

Have you tried this yourself? Did it improve your speeds?

Is the master socket not behind the main faceplate?

Yes, but in my case there is no socket on the faceplate attached to the master socket, just an extention which runs to the other side of the room.

With modern day digital cordless phones you really don't need sockets all over the shop so I've just unscrewed and plugged straight in. Does look a bit unsightly though. Aparently this type of setup was reasonably common and you can get conversion kits.

The master socket is the main socket that all the secondary sockets feed off from. The test socket is behind the faceplate and eliminates the connection to any secondary sockets. If BT are called out to a house visit and you are not connected to the test socket (i.e. the isp hasn't gone through diagnostics) then you are charged through the nose for it but the isp should foot the bill if the fault lies between the test socket and the exchange.

The master socket is the main socket that all the secondary sockets feed off from. The test socket is behind the faceplate and eliminates the connection to any secondary sockets. If BT are called out to a house visit and you are not connected to the test socket (i.e. the isp hasn't gone through diagnostics) then you are charged through the nose for it but the isp should foot the bill if the fault lies between the test socket and the exchange.

Aye, sorry, was meaning test socket when I said master socket.