aberdeen-music

The Internet in my house is awful

Adam Easy Wishes

Orange home broadband, incredibly slow and always has been.

This is what SpeedTest.net had to say:

997912855.png

WTF? That's horrendous. Any ideas? I know nothing about configuring the connection from this end so any help at all would be much appreciated.

BT's speed test thingy says the line out here (Bucksburn) will handle 1.0 Mbps, so anywhere even close to that would be ideal.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say if you can, bin it. I get almost exactly 11mb/s download and around 2mb/s upload with sky broadband and I'm not even paying for it yet.

Edit: that's the 10-20mb unlimited dealie.

I wish they had a 2-10mb unlimited option. I'd get around 500kb/s slower connection for about half the price. Still, it's only going to be 7.50 a month when my 6 months free are up.

o2 called me up the other day trying to sell ne their broadband "at a discount rate for being a loyal customer", he asked my current download speeds and I said 11mb/s

DJ voice: "woah,are you sure?!"

Uhm, yup. I have an active download with speed indicator on right now.

"well that's unusual, because (blah blah blah sales patter). How much are you paying?"

Well, nothing at the moment. 6 months free and 7.50 a month after that.

Silence for a few seconds...."well, just remember our quality of service is 2nd to none and it's only 10.50 a month".

So let me get this straight, I'd get early contract termination fee's from sky AND I'd get to pay you more for exactly the same speed?! Where do I sign up?!

998297944.png

Mines has always been shit. I'm on the Great Western exchange and live quite a bit away from it also.

I'm supposed to be getting up to 3Mbps download with Demon's line tester they provided before they rolled out ADSL2+, however it seems the exchange only provides up to 2 Mbps connections and is currently not scheduled for a fibre optic upgrade anytime soon.

Right, so now that all you gloating fucks have told me how ace your connection is, fancy helping me?! :)

Should I just get Orange to fuck and get a Sky broadband package attached to my Sky TV package? Is that likely to help? The plus side is I'd save 99p a month.

Yes Orange are shit.

You can also quote the crap speed as a reason to break the contract, just run at least three different tests, morning, noon, evening and night. One at this time of day would help due to the lack of people on at this time of night.

If you've already got Sky TV then it's well worth it, I was always happy with the broadband, it was just the shit telly I objected paying for.

Couldnt agree more, we're having problems with Sky only because we want to change from my gf's name to mine, and they will let us do it but they'll tie us in for another year but won't give us a warranty for that time, it's proving to be a real nightmare, basically we want to change the name because of the ASC Law thing as my gf was freaked out about getting a letter accusing her of dling so i said i don't mind it being in my name, you wouldnt think it'd be so difficult to change the name.

Sky's broadband is fantastic if they have their unbundled equipment on your exchange, best broadband I've ever had. Wish I could still have it in Banchory to be honest but you only BT and talk talk have anything on the exchange here. You can still get Sky but it's not the good package, just them buying bandwidth from BT so there's no point.

I cancelled my Sky TV package recently as I realised I mostly watch mainstream channels so why the fuck am I paying 300-400 a year for that when I could get a freesat HD box for 150 that I only pay once.

I suppose technically they have a contract with her and therefore to shift it to your name would require a new contract.

I don't have a problem with that at all, but when you sign a new contract with Sky you usually get new equipment which is under a warranty, otherwise it's a rolling contract and outwith your initial signing time, usually one year during which all your stuff is in warranty so if you have a catastrophically expensive breakdown its covered. At the moment they want me to sign up for a year with equipment that is almost 2 years old with no warranty, I even offerered to pay the 100 for a new box if it would put me in warranty but they wont do that, I'm not expecting them to give me warranty for nothing I'm happy to buy the new equpment they advertise, but they won't let me do it, the only options as far as they are concerned is that I tie myself in for a year without a warranty on old equipment, I could take out private warranty on the equipment, but it's the principle and the madness that for the sake of about a 100 warranty they are happy to lose 750 a year which is what they get out of me, especially when the only reason my girlfriend doesnt want it in her name is because they gave out our details to a third party without informing us anyway when other ISPs chose to fight. It just seems reidiculous, the stupid thing is I'm happy to sign up for another year but if I'm under the same conditions as someone new to Sky I want the same advantages such as a warranty, it's not like I havent offered to pay what they give to new subscribers anyway.

I don't have a problem with that at all, but when you sign a new contract with Sky you usually get new equipment which is under a warranty, otherwise it's a rolling contract and outwith your initial signing time, usually one year during which all your stuff is in warranty so if you have a catastrophically expensive breakdown its covered. At the moment they want me to sign up for a year with equipment that is almost 2 years old with no warranty, I even offerered to pay the 100 for a new box if it would put me in warranty but they wont do that, I'm not expecting them to give me warranty for nothing I'm happy to buy the new equpment they advertise, but they won't let me do it, the only options as far as they are concerned is that I tie myself in for a year without a warranty on old equipment, I could take out private warranty on the equipment, but it's the principle and the madness that for the sake of about a 100 warranty they are happy to lose 750 a year which is what they get out of me, especially when the only reason my girlfriend doesnt want it in her name is because they gave out our details to a third party without informing us anyway when other ISPs chose to fight. It just seems reidiculous, the stupid thing is I'm happy to sign up for another year but if I'm under the same conditions as someone new to Sky I want the same advantages such as a warranty, it's not like I havent offered to pay what they give to new subscribers anyway.

If you aren't married get your missus to cancel Sky and then you sign up under your name a wee bit later. Who's to say that you didn't move into that property. That way you'll get a brand new box/router and you'll have a spare just in case something goes wrong with them.