aberdeen-music

Nathan Bell (Human Bell/Lungfish), Kogumaza, The Kitchen Cynics, Ashley Park

unbroken

CAFE DRUMMONDS

TUESDAY the 9TH of NOVEMBER

7.30 Doors

NATHAN BELL

Nathan Bell has recorded with more than a dozen bands in the last decade. Most known for playing bass in Lungfish (Dischord Records) from 1996 to 2003, he has also worked with P.W. Long, Mighty Flashlight, Television Hill, an earlier version of Arbouretum, and Human Bell (who played at the final Tryptych Festival in Aberdeen).

KOGUMAZA

...Kogumaza make music that marries the sound of fuzzed-out psychedelic garage-rock to an ambient aesthetic, placing it somewhere between the infinite repetition of Moondog and the spiritual throb of Lungfish.

Formed in early 2009, the members' desire to break away from impersonal documentation-style presentation led them to develop an idiosyncratic sound and style that relies on the very free and loose manipulation of tones. Allowing what is basically a rock trio to expand and willingly lose control of their own sound in order for it to become greater and more beautiful than the sum of its parts. They are a small but mighty force.

THE KITCHEN CYNICS

Local legend. Storytelling, drones, dark humour, melody, he has it all.

ASHLEY PARK

First show in a while from Aberdeen's own Ashley Park. Singing songs of heartbreak and loss to people and reaching them on a whole new level. Think Mark Kozelek, Sun Kil Moon, Elliott Smith, Mark Eitzel etc.

5 Door Tax

I hope you can make it along.

• 3 weeks later...

Pity that Nathan could not make it, but it was still a very entertaining night.

Ashley played a great set.

Alan was, well, Alan, brilliant as usual. Nice work on the zither !, and the medley of songs worked well.

The lassie drummer with Kogumaza introduced me to a new type of rhythm which I enjoyed, and I would go to see them again.

Only downer was the pathetically small crowd. Did it reach double figures ?

Pity that Nathan could not make it, but it was still a very entertaining night.

Ashley played a great set.

Alan was, well, Alan, brilliant as usual. Nice work on the zither !, and the medley of songs worked well.

The lassie drummer with Kogumaza introduced me to a new type of rhythm which I enjoyed, and I would go to see them again.

Only downer was the pathetically small crowd. Did it reach double figures ?

I couldn't put it better myself, fantastic line up, Kogumaza blew me away, seriously good. :up:

I think there was less than 10 at the end :down:

Can only echo what's been said.

Only caught the end of Ashley P, he was sounding good.

First time I've seen Alan do his solo thing and liked it. The zither improve was great.

Kogumaza were freaking ACE. One of the best bands I've seen in a while. RIFFS. Was good to speak to the guitar player Chris, who I've bought posters from before and I really like his other bands. Lovely guy.

Felix:

felix on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Lords:

LORDS on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Wolves! (of Greece):

WOLVES! (OF GREECE) - OUTPUT

There might be some others, but these are the main ones.

His site is great:

HONEY IS FUNNY

I really like his art work and all his music/art stuff is on there, just scroll down.

The chap playing guitar on the left hand side also played in these guys:

Bob Tilton Free listening, concerts, stats, & pictures at Last.fm

:)