aberdeen-music

Seymour Duncan quarter pounder doing my tits in!!

Runcie

I've got one of these in my teles bridge and while it sounds great it's noisy as fuck. Has anybody had much experience with stacked/noise canceling tele bridge pickups. I've been looking at EMG's and while they seem to sound decent from the widdly youtube videos, I don't think I could get past the Metallica endorsments and what have you. Affa metal. I'm just after a nice, traditional sounding tele pickup which is as silent as a humbucker. Any thoughts??

Not all just Metallica/Slayer/Zakk Wylde from EMGs. :) Lots of jazz players use them.

Also:-

Electric Guitar Pickups & Accessories - EMG Pickups | DG20 David Gilmour

He uses the EMG SA single coil.

R&B have an EMG Tele set in stock just now. I could probably do you a no bad price if you decide to go that route. ;)

It's a nightmare trying to mix and match EMGs and passives. So ideally you'd want to change the whole set.

One of my favourite aspects of EMGs is the silence of them. :)

Totally. If EMG's are good enough for Gilmour I reckon they'd do me just dandy. My tele's a 72 reissue (but a good een for being Mexican) so it's got a humbucker in the neck which I actually really like. Because it's got seperate volume/tone pots for the bridge and neck, do you reckon I could replace the pots for the bridge emg and keep the neck pickup without too much hassle? I need to do my homework.

You can do it but trust me, keeping it half active and half passive is MEGA hassle! Which is a shame as - if you could configure it easily - you could get some cracking combinations.

Expensive option but Bare Knuckle are always worth considering, they'll customise any of their models to spec and they sound fantastic. :)

In the EMG brochure they claim that their tele neck p/u is the best sounding one they have. I had an 85 bucker in the 80s and it made my crappy plywood Kramer howl n growl n squeal nicely. If I had spare money (!?) I'd put a set in my crappy plywood Squier tele, EMGs care nothing for yer tonewoods, they'll deliver on anything. If only they made them look vintage with polepieces/lipstick cover, like the Strat one they do (SV).

Get a noise gate/suppressor. gets rif of single coil hum.

I don't have a problem with single coils much myself, without a noise supressor. Even my split coil Warpig is very quiet, and that thing is hotter than the sun.

A lot can depend on the particular situation/venue. Things like neon lights and dimmer switches can cause real problems.

I think the pickup may be dodgey, cause it's a microphonic squeel it makes at loud volume and only buzzes like fuck when near electrical equipment. I think I'm gonna order me a kinman on payday. Not heard a bad thing about them and should keep my tele sounding like a tele.