aberdeen-music

Boxing.

Lemonade

Let's have a thread to talk about it in. I used to love the boxing as a youngster, but haven't watched it much since Lennox Lewis retired, bar the odd Hatton or Calzaghe fight. I believe the Kiltschko brothers have pretty much been clobbering everyone for the past couple of years, and also that gigantic Russian fucker.

So, Haye vs Harrison in two weeks? Predictions? :popcorn: Should be a walk in the park for Haye - I never rated Audley in the first place. He was 30 when he turned professional, he must be pushing 40 by now.

The problem I have with boxing is too many championships. How can there be four World Champions?

I think it's pretty disgusting that Fraudley Harrison has even been given the Haye fight. He's done fuck all his entire pro career to warrant it. I hope Haye destroys him.

Overall, the HW division is pretty weak...full of fat, ponderous slobs. Only Haye and the Klitschkos are worth watching, and Wladimir is only average at best. Another Brit, Dereck Chisora is fighting Wladimir pretty soon....could be interesting. Wlad is chinny, so I reckon Chisora's got a decent chance.

Vitali Klitschko is the best around at the moment.....Haye hasn't beaten anyone good enough in the HW division yet to suggest otherwise. Vitali is massive, hits hard, and has never been put down in his whole career. In his only loss, he was arguably giving Lennox Lewis a beating before losing on cuts, so he's decent. Personally, I doubt Haye's chin is good enough to last last 6 rounds with him...I don't think Haye can stop him, and Haye has never had the stamina for the later rounds anyway.

So far, Haye's only notable HW win was against Nikolai Valuev (that 7' tall Russian mutant) but he's absolute rubbish. Haye is a talented cruiserweight, but has a long way to go before I'm convinced that he's a world class HW.

Actually, fuck the heavyweights.....I want to see Pacquiao vs Mayweather.

Vitali is the best around but he's not beaten anyone of note for ages, mostly because there is no one of note for him to fight against. This is why Haye's not beaten anyone notable yet, because there is no decent competition out there. The heavyweight division is looking decidedly lightweight for now.

DO YOU SEE WHAT I DID THERE?

I think it's pretty disgusting that Fraudley Harrison has even been given the Haye fight. He's done fuck all his entire pro career to warrant it. I hope Haye destroys him.

Overall, the HW division is pretty weak...full of fat, ponderous slobs. Only Haye and the Klitschkos are worth watching, and Wladimir is only average at best. Another Brit, Dereck Chisora is fighting Wladimir pretty soon....could be interesting. Wlad is chinny, so I reckon Chisora's got a decent chance.

Vitali Klitschko is the best around at the moment.....Haye hasn't beaten anyone good enough in the HW division yet to suggest otherwise. Vitali is massive, hits hard, and has never been put down in his whole career. In his only loss, he was arguably giving Lennox Lewis a beating before losing on cuts, so he's decent. Personally, I doubt Haye's chin is good enough to last last 6 rounds with him...I don't think Haye can stop him, and Haye has never had the stamina for the later rounds anyway.

So far, Haye's only notable HW win was against Nikolai Valuev (that 7' tall Russian mutant) but he's absolute rubbish. Haye is a talented cruiserweight, but has a long way to go before I'm convinced that he's a world class HW.

Actually, fuck the heavyweights.....I want to see Pacquiao vs Mayweather.

I was never impressed by Audley Harrison either, I always thought he looked cumbersome and lazy. Shite boxer who the BBC jizzed over since there were no good British heavyweights at the time. I heard he lost a match to a taxi driver last year.

The heavyweight division just doesn't seem to have the characters it did back in my day. The likes of Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield,Riddick Bowe, Razor Ruddock, Lennox Lewis, Herbie Hide... Or maybe it's just cos it's always on Sky Box Office and I never get to watch it any more.

Let's have a thread to talk about it in. I used to love the boxing as a youngster, but haven't watched it much since Lennox Lewis retired, bar the odd Hatton or Calzaghe fight. I believe the Kiltschko brothers have pretty much been clobbering everyone for the past couple of years, and also that gigantic Russian fucker.

So, Haye vs Harrison in two weeks? Predictions? :popcorn: Should be a walk in the park for Haye - I never rated Audley in the first place. He was 30 when he turned professional, he must be pushing 40 by now.

The problem I have with boxing is too many championships. How can there be four World Champions?

Yeah - the Kiltschko's have been dominating the Heavyweight since Lennox retired. Despite their dominance, both the brothers IMHO are underrated as boxers. this might be....

a) because we is white

b) not American

c) are educated (both have PHD's)

d) all of the above

Yet they've beaten everyone that's been put in front of them, most of whom were deemed to be top contenders (Sam Peter, Ruslan Chagaev, Tony Thomson, Eddie Chambers etc...) and Vitali just made an affy mess of Shannon Briggs, who was enjoying an Indian Summer to his career.

Vlad's not as chinny as he's made out to be - not any more than Lennox, who was flattened by Oliver McCall and Hasim Raham - maybe just a bit naive defensively in his younger days. If any one of those behemoths lands cleanly on another, there's going to be damage done. The secret is in avoiding and slipping punches....and being able to cope when you do get hit (Evander Holyfield was best at that).

Haye v Harrison? - I would expect Haye as the more motivated and ruthless of the two fighters to win this one. Fraudley is your classic enigma - he's the Black Joe Bugner - he has the skills, pedigree and physique to go all the way, but never seems to push himself in the ring. In Big Joe's defence, having a fighter die on him at age 19 (Ulrich Regis), definitely affected him - Harrison just doesn't have the killer instinct, yet can, on occasion, pull a great performance out of the hat.

Haye, either by an early rounds blow-out, or a late rounds stoppage.

I agree that there are too many governing bodies (the Alphabet Boys as they are known) and waaaay too many divisions - there used to be only eight (Fly, Bantam, Feather, Light, Welter, Middle, Light-Heavy and Heavy) and just about everyone knew who every champ was. Nowadays, there are 4 main bodies, fuck knows how many divisions and all the "Interim" and "Continental" champs. Confusing.

I like boxing but all the corruption and beaurocracy makes it a bugger to get excited about. Too many good fighters avoiding each other to pad out their record rather than actually proving who the better fighters are. I doubt we'll ever see Mayweather and Pacquiao fight each other.

I like Amir Kahn especially now he's got a class trainer who can make him work. I don't think being chinny is an issue, you can work with it at his age. 10 years from now it'll hurt him.

The heavyweight division is a farce. I'm disappointed Haye's taken the Harrison fight rather than backing up his talk and doing whatever it takes to fight a Klitchsko. Harrison deserves nothing from the fight and hopefully he'll get smashed within a round.

Amazed at how fast Maccarinelli has declined. From world champion to career effectively over in a couple of years. His last knockout loss was disgusting, he should never have been allowed to continue after he got up the first time round.

I like boxing but all the corruption and beaurocracy makes it a bugger to get excited about. Too many good fighters avoiding each other to pad out their record rather than actually proving who the better fighters are. I doubt we'll ever see Mayweather and Pacquiao fight each other.

I like Amir Kahn especially now he's got a class trainer who can make him work. I don't think being chinny is an issue, you can work with it at his age. 10 years from now it'll hurt him.

The heavyweight division is a farce. I'm disappointed Haye's taken the Harrison fight rather than backing up his talk and doing whatever it takes to fight a Klitchsko. Harrison deserves nothing from the fight and hopefully he'll get smashed within a round.

Amazed at how fast Maccarinelli has declined. From world champion to career effectively over in a couple of years. His last knockout loss was disgusting, he should never have been allowed to continue after he got up the first time round.

I'll admit that he looks much improved of late, but his chin certainly looked like an issue against Breidis Prescott

I read an article a while back about Haye v Harrison and how it is really a business fight. Apparently the offers for a Klitchsko fight were shite financially for David Haye so it was speculated he'll take this fight as he can control the deal and get the finances from it. After that he'll take a deal for a Klitchsko.

I'm going to watch Haye v Harrison though as there is a bit of needle to it so may make good TV. Harrison has a punch on him so if he lands a lucky shot then he might win, similar to his last fight where he got totally dominated and then knocked the boy out with a left hook with about 30 seconds of the fight remaining. I do expect Haye will win though, he'll be way to quick for Harrison.

Seriously hope there is a deal struck with Pacquiao and Mayweather.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a fiver on Harrison to win on points at 16/1. Probably won't happen, but 85 back was to good a bet to turn down! Harrison's got the weight, height and reach advantage, plus he's a southpaw. He seems to have been quietly preparing while Haye's been busy shooting his mouth off at every opportunity.

I've got a fiver on Harrison to win on points at 16/1. Probably won't happen, but 85 back was to good a bet to turn down! Harrison's got the weight, height and reach advantage, plus he's a southpaw. He seems to have been quietly preparing while Haye's been busy shooting his mouth off at every opportunity.

o_O

Not been reading much of the press then?

Audley Harrison: 'David Haye is nervous. He knows I am the master' | Sport | The Guardian

Audley Harrison vows to destroy David Haye in their world title fight | Sport | The Guardian

Audley Harrison: I'm going to knock out David Haye with compassion - Telegraph

Audley Harrison will put it all on the line against David Haye | The Sun |Sport|Boxing

I'm not sure I buy all the hype from either side. Suspect they're actually still quite friendly and it's all just pre-fight buildup. I expect them to hug at the end of the fight. Well, once they've scraped Harrison up off the canvas anyway.

Not a gambling man, but I might stick a Marilu Henner on Fraudley (or "Audrey" as Marvin Hagler calls him).

Depends which Harrison turns up. Haye was brutally exposed against cruiserweight Carl Thompson and all his recent victories have been against boxers on the slide.

If he can contain Haye and frustrate him, he has a chance in the later rounds.

o_O

Not been reading much of the press then?

Audley Harrison: 'David Haye is nervous. He knows I am the master' | Sport | The Guardian

Audley Harrison vows to destroy David Haye in their world title fight | Sport | The Guardian

Audley Harrison: I'm going to knock out David Haye with compassion - Telegraph

Audley Harrison will put it all on the line against David Haye | The Sun |Sport|Boxing

I'm not sure I buy all the hype from either side. Suspect they're actually still quite friendly and it's all just pre-fight buildup. I expect them to hug at the end of the fight. Well, once they've scraped Harrison up off the canvas anyway.

:laughing: must have missed those ones. The Sky Sports page seems to have 4 Haye stories to every one of Audley's though, so perhaps they're just being a little biased. Yeah there always has to be some kind of a personal edge to boxing these days, not to mention a snappy title for the match, eg "Best Of Enemies", "Battle of the Planet", "Battle of the Ages", and a fancy ring entrance. It's becoming more like WWE every day!

Watching this reminds me of why I used to hate Prince Naseem so much. 2:20 is particularly galling.

YouTube - Prince Naseem Highlight

Speaking of British Heavyweights...

Chisora gets suspended sentence

Fight with Klitschko will go on as planned British and Commonwealth boxing champion Dereck Chisoras December 11 heavyweight title challenge against Wladimir Klitschko will go on as scheduled. Today in a London courtroom, Chisora was given a 12-week prison sentence suspended for two years, ordered to pay 1,500 in compensation and 500 costs and must complete 150 hours of community work for assaulting his girlfriend. Chisora pleaded guilty to throwing his then-girlfriend on the bed and spanking her after he found text messages from another man on her cell phone.

Watched the fight and it went pretty much exactly as predicted. There was barely a punch thrown for the first two rounds and Harrison looked like he was shitting himself. When Haye decided he'd listened to enough of the crowds booing, he melted Harrison with a quick combo and floored him. He got up within the count and then another quick one-two combo and the ref said enough was enough. He just didn't offer anything. The stats said he threw 32 and landed one but of those 32, the vast majority were just him testing his range and keeping Haye at arms length and couldn't event really be called punches.

From a business point of view, standing in a ring for 7 minutes and 53 seconds and receiving one punch and getting a payday of 5m is a superb investment of your time! It does nothing for Haye's credibility but all the nonsense with one of the Klitchko's saying they'll fight him and then the other one saying he'll do it on the same date in Germany and stuff just seems to be designed to string it out. When your job involves a lot of getting punched in the head, you don't have many years to make your money so you're best taking it while it's there!

Millions of pounds is all very well but what about dignity? Had to laugh at the crowd chanting "you're shit, and you know you are" after the 'fight'

I agree with the above and you've got to love that chant.

Must admit, I almost bought into Fraudley's pre-match hype...almost. Ultimately I thought Haye would win, but I expect more from Harrison.

Hopefully he'll hang them up and not bore us again.

Manny Pacquiao, now there's a fighter! Gave away 17lbs to Margarito (a seriously tough guy) on the night and still gaving him a shellacking. Top guy Manny!!!