aberdeen-music

Songwriting advice(progressing from verse to chords)

Camie

RULES! I HATE BLOODY RULES! ESPECIALLY IN SOMETHING THAT'S MEANT TO BE AN EXPRESSION OF YOUR INNER-SELF! Be freeeeeeeeee, man!

Experiment, and try different things, tag what you like, disregard what you don't think fits and do something you haven't tried before. Infact, invent your own chord fingerings. Tell you what: do something wild and kerrrrrrrrrr-aaaaysheeeeeeeee.

Don't sit down saying "now what chord can I play from here?", sit down and say "you know what I'm gunna play the first things that my fingers play".

I guess I'm trying to tell you that songwriting the start of a song by using rules is like caging yourself in with a gorilla hell-bent on squeezing you through the small gaps between the bars.

Unless you know every rule, inside out. And if you're asking for help I think you're best to stick with the play the first thing you play basis...

...or whatever you want...

...just my opinion... :)

make em up as you go along! try chord progressions that have never been tried before! (if you can find such a thing!)

i agree with mussed, there are no rules, i think you can either write songs or you cant though i'm sure there's a few on here who'd disagree with that!

Guest Salty

i agree with delboy you can either write songs or you cant, i can get a little riff, sometimes, just by making a mistake practising a tune. but as for lyrics, i just cant get em to fit so im not a born song writer. but yeh just do what you feel is right for you and if it sounds good then stick with it.

Guest Sundaram

In pop/rock music the chorus tends to be more emotionally intense or uplifting in some way, so maybe try writing something that is melodically strong first and then find chords that fit the melody. Just remember that it is the melody that has greatest effect not the chords.

Knowing some of the rules to basic theory will be a great help, because if you rely purely on chance etc to write music you will more than likely run out of ideas at some point during the process of writing a song, basic theory could then act as a guideline to help you move the song on if that were to happen.

Also, I think would might be a good idea to look at the workings of songs you like, as it's a fun way of learning the craft of songwriting.

Hope this helps in some way.

There are some rule-y guidelines, but as I said: unless you know them back to front, inside out and in your sleep you're best trying inspiration as it will only sound like everything else that has been done before if you try the rules.

Most of all, try and find an expression of yourself. Good luck.

You don't have to have choruses.... ;)

But yeah, if you want to play around with progressions from verse to chorus - look at scales for change inspiration (no, not kitchen ones). Doesn't have to be uplifting, doesn't even have to change to be honest, just has to sit right with your idea or lyrics.

Good luck. It's all subjective anyway.