aberdeen-music

Local Music in the Evening Express

beetlejuice

Hey guys,

I don't know about you, but I have always felt the local press - the P&J and Evening Express - have been lacking something over the past few years. That something is decent local music coverage, but all that will hopefully be about to change...

After literally months of discussions, I am now pleased to announce that starting next week I will be writing a weekly column focusing exclusively on local musicians playing in Aberdeen. The column will generally be a look at what's happening over the coming week, and will also hopefully feature some wee reviews of local releases.

Obviously, I am doing a lot of research for this. I am currently trawling sites like Aberdeen Events, The Kiosque, and this very forum, as well as emailing all the venues I can possibly think of. But, unfortunately, there are still some gigs and events that slip through the net, and here's the part where I ask for your help!

If you've got something to shout about, send it on over to eoin@herculesmoments.co.uk (or post it in this thread, although email is more likely to get my attention). I might already know about it, but then again I might not. Also, there is no way at all that I could fit everything that happens in Aberdeen into my column every week (if only!) so please don't be offended if your release/gig/event doesn't make it in.

I will be trying to represent the vibrancy and diversity of the Aberdeen music scene, but obviously it will take me a couple of weeks to get into my stride. For now, though, I better get back to writing... see you in the What's On pages next Thursday :up:

Eoin

At first it will be focusing on indie/rock/metal stuff as I profess to not being an expert on Snafu/Origin style DJing, or classical music.But over time, once I have built up a bit of knowledge, yes I'd like to encompass everything that's going on in the city.

The other thing I should point out is that the column will focus solely on local artists, so no touring bands/singers/DJs/orchestras will be included, unless there's an Aberdeen support and I can sneak in a couple of liens about the headliners. (This was a condition of me getting the column.)

Hey folks. Sorry for bumping this up yet again. Today marks my second column, and as I've been in the paper a couple of weeks now, the EE have asked me if I can gather any opinions from music fans about the column, its style and the content.

What do you like/hate? Anything you'd like to see more/less of?

Any and all comments welcome, as is (CONSTRUCTIVE!) criticism :)

Hey folks. Sorry for bumping this up yet again. Today marks my second column, and as I've been in the paper a couple of weeks now, the EE have asked me if I can gather any opinions from music fans about the column, its style and the content.

What do you like/hate? Anything you'd like to see more/less of?

Any and all comments welcome, as is (CONSTRUCTIVE!) criticism :)

Any chance you could scan a copy up onto here, for those who didn't get the paper yesterday?

Unfortunately I don't have a scanner, and don't have a copy of the text file on this computer, however I can let you know that it included the following:

The Viper Lines - playing with The Draymin (tonight)

Steven Milne - OneUp instore on Saturday

Cirque Du Sinister - Fat Hippy Halloween showcase featuring Brothers Reid, the Wetflex, The Ruckus and Smokin' Catfish

Skalloween V - aka-SKA and The targets presents a ska-filled Halloween spectacular!

The Gothic Dorics - playing the Moorings this Saturday