aberdeen-music

Aberdeen music shop scene

rune

personally i dont hear enough phil collins genesis, chas n dave, maple, cornershop, incredible string band, the exploited, status quo, syd barrett era pink floyd, cocteau twins, northside or jesus jones in HMV, Virgin or One Up. i do believe thats why someone invented listening posts a long time ago......

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the fact Rune is deliberately ignoring the fact his initial statement has been rubbished by someone who's worked in both HMV and One-Up and played metal (by his definition or not, it doesn't matter, metal is metal) in both. Instead he's picking up on points on the boundary of this discussion in the vain attempt at reassuring himself he's still right.

You have lost the point totally. Oh please go away.

Dont you have TV commercials for that shit or dont you get out of your cave much?

The metal bands i like get none of this attention withing the media

I don't get out of my cave much therefore I've missed all the paracetamol adverts.

I'll give you a simple equation that my mate Ug chiselled down for me the other day though.

more popular the band/genre=more media coverage of band/genre.

Clever caveman that Ug.

Music should have no boundaries. Music is for the masses regardless of genre. Every genre is there to be enjoyed.

Why is there such ignorance in the music community towards something alternative or different? Hell you get shit bands in all genres but people should be given the option to find out for themselves via the media or via shops. It really pisses me off that people cant have an open mind to change.

I still don't understand what you mean. I imagine you think people just hang around record shops all day not buying anything, leaning on the counter, listening to the music...wait; shit, I've only gone and described One Up on a Saturday, nevermind. ;p

Seriously though, shops aren't a form of media primarily designed to make your life better (and neither is the media, really). On the whole HMV; a subsiduary of Cyberchemtech, plc; a member of the Omega Group don't give a shit if you discover Burzord Bloodbath or whatever in their shop. They'd like it if you read about them in Terrorizer and went and spent 16.49 on their album though.

I like the fact Rune is deliberately ignoring the fact his initial statement has been rubbished by someone who's worked in both HMV and One-Up and played metal (by his definition or not' date=' it doesn't matter, metal is metal) in both. Instead he's picking up on points on the boundary of this discussion in the vain attempt at reassuring himself he's still right.[/quote']

Metal is metal? so korn, limp bizkit, pig destroyer all fit into the same grouping?

Totally different bands, totally different styles. Do you really think fans of limp bizkit would goto see their band support the likes of pig destroyer? No chance in hell.

So how many plays in aberdeen stores have the likes of pig destroyer, anal cunt, agoraphobic nosebleed, assuck, cephalic carnage had in aberdeen stores? These are all bands i like and shops wouldnt play them, just down to the fact that they are way too controversial for the "mainstream". My metal taist is far more harsher than the stuff thats been mentioned. I wish people would wake up and stop being "musical fascists"

Shame this wasnt a crime or alot of people would be locked up

That makes good business practice' date=' were ok so fuck you :)

We really dont care what you like aslong as you pay us its cool.

Whats so wrong with embracing other peoples opinions?[/quote']

jesus, wake up. as has already been said in this thread a few times, the bands you mentioned won't be played because they would piss off the vast majority of customers. That's good business practice.

Theses shops are businesses first and foremost, the possible sales they'd get from playing pig destroyer in store don't balance out against the customers they'd drive out of the store.

jesus' date=' wake up. as has already been said in this thread a few times, the bands you mentioned won't be played because they would piss off the vast majority of customers. That's good business practice.

Theses shops are businesses first and foremost, the possible sales they'd get from playing pig destroyer in store don't balance out against the customers they'd drive out of the store.[/quote']

Thats the point im trying to put across........... You first state that metal is played, then you change your mind, whats up with that?

The bands i like wouldnt get play time

Thats the point im trying to put across........... You first state that metal is played' date=' then you change your mind, whats up with that?

The bands i like wouldnt get play time[/quote']

*looks for a brick wall to hit his head off*

there's always exceptions. metal is played, if it doesn't fit your definition of metal, well tough that's your problem.

My last post was just saying why the specific bands you mentioned are unlikely to get played.

There's no hypocrisy, no conspiracy. They won't play them because the staff don't want to hear it and most of the customers won't like it.

I really don't understand how you've managed to stretch this to 5 pages. That's all there is to it. Maybe (going on the bits you've quoted from here) you're just reading the bits you can argue against and ignoring the bits that prevent you from carrying on your pointles crusade.

Thats the point im trying to put across........... You first state that metal is played' date=' then you change your mind, whats up with that?

The bands i like wouldnt get play time[/quote']

dog_chasing_tail_290.jpg

Whaddaya say we just leave little Rune chasing his own tail here, and go do something else instead...

*goes off to poke sticks at Stripey and ASF*

*looks for a brick wall to hit his head off*

there's always exceptions. metal is played' date=' if it doesn't fit your definition of metal, well tough that's your problem.

My last post was just saying why the specific bands you mentioned are unlikely to get played.

There's no hypocrisy, no conspiracy. They won't play them because the staff don't want to hear it and most of the customers won't like it.

I really don't understand how you've managed to stretch this to 5 pages. That's all there is to it. Maybe (going on the bits you've quoted from here) you're just reading the bits you can argue against and ignoring the bits that prevent you from carrying on your pointles crusade.[/quote']

So you think its right for shops/media to disregard people who like a certain type of music.

Musical fascism sucks. Hell i hear music i hate when i walk into shops, doesnt make me want to walk out tho.

Please tell me what points i havent answered i really dont know where you get all this from......

Pointless???? Dont you think its wrong for the media/shops to consider certain cds not for the interest of the mainstream? To me it just seems ignorant

but it's not wrong! It's not musical fascism at all. Why can't you see that a shop is a business and has to cater to the majority of it's customers, not the minority? Read back through the thread, all the posts that you didn't make. It's been stated time and time again why the shops play what they play and why continuing this discussion is pointless. You're just arguing in circles.

As frosty suggests I think I'll leave you to chase your tail now.

but it's not wrong! It's not musical fascism at all. Why can't you see that a shop is a business and has to cater to the majority of it's customers' date=' not the minority? Read back through the thread, all the posts that you didn't make. It's been stated time and time again why the shops play what they play and why continuing this discussion is pointless. You're just arguing in circles.

As frosty suggests I think I'll leave you to chase your tail now.[/quote']

So what would you call the exclusion of certain bands from a store playlist??

Thats why i think the mainstream sucks, i totally disregard the views of the media as none of it interests me.

So what would you call the exclusion of certain bands from a store playlist??

Thats why i think the mainstream sucks' date=' i totally disregard the views of the media as none of it interests me.[/quote']

None of the bands I like get any media coverage but you don't see me on here blubbing like a baby about it.

What's the big deal what people play in their shops anyway, do you think people are going to have some sort of quasi-religious revelation if they could only hear a few tracks from these gods of metal.

Guest neil ex

What's the big deal what people play in their shops anyway' date=' do you think people are going to have some sort of quasi-religious revelation if they could only hear a few tracks from these gods of metal.[/quote']

yeah, i don't really understand it either. i usually go into a music shop to have a browse and buy something.

just out of curiousity how many times have you gone into a the stores mentioned and heard happy hardcore dance, classical music, country and western, bothy ballads or even the singing kettle?

They all have their fans and charts but do you ever hear them being played? no because they are not mainstream and popular to the masses, but people still know about the genre's and still buy the albumns cause they have heard it on whatever radio station they listen to. With the internet and digital tv/radio you can find somewhere playing the music you like and enjoy, and if you feel so passionately about the type of metal you listen to perhaps you should be trying to help get caged back up and running and help make it popular so more people will hear your preference in music, and it might make it into the mainstream.

As it has been said before shop workers are NOT dj's, they don't take requests, thats what listening posts are for. Stop whinning like a bitch about something you can't do anything about and get active in speading the word in other ways, such as getting caged back!

some one should moan about the lack of jazz...the lack of trad, the lack of classical...there's just not enough indian music played in shops...

shut up and stop being a baby.

there are listening posts to "check out the music", but, if it's adverts to make people want to start buying metal then what's the point ? how did you get into metal ? not by walking into a shop one day and saying "wowee, what is this type of music, I must get into that"...

here is a virtual 20p, go and phone someone that gives a fuck.

ho ho

I was in OneUp the other day, and they were playing Cathedral. Groovetastic! And METAL to the core. So shut your flapping mouth!

Entertainingly, the Cathedral CD was replaced by a Tindersticks one, and the phrase "Tindersticks kick the crap out of Catherdral" was uttered for the first time in history by the shop lacky. Good to know there is some originality in Aberdeen after all....hey, where's Stripey when you need him.....

*EDIT* I can't actually remember which band it was that replaced Cathedral, but it was someone fey and wank like the Tindersticks. But the story is funnier with false detail than none at all.....

Guest scott cs.

The metal bands i like get none of this attention withing the media

slightly off topic, but if the media don't give bands you like coverage, why don't you do something about it? starting a fanzine/e-zine or putting on gigs would be a good start. don't hate the media, become the media.

Guest gilly
I find it really shit that all hmv' date='virgin,one up sell metal and yet [b']refuse to play it instore

Purely out of interest, before you had made this post had you gone into these stores and specifically asked them to play "metal", or are you just assuming this will be the case?

Fuck linkin park and korn i dont regard them as real metal

I regard bands such as pig destroyer' date=' agoraphobic nosebleed, converge, mistress, charger

and so on and so on as real metal[/quote']

There's your problem. You many not regard them as "real metal", but i'm sure a lot of other people do. So how do you expect the store staff to know what the almighty rune considers to be real? If they aren't in to this kind of music and are trying their best to play a varied selection of music, perhaps they'll just play what they know to be the most popular songs from each genre (so they can please the largest number of customers).

Face it, they're never going to win with everyone.

slightly off topic' date=' but if the media don't give bands you like coverage, why don't you do something about it? starting a fanzine/e-zine or putting on gigs would be a good start. don't hate the media, become the media.[/quote']

Fair point

Purely out of interest' date=' before you had made this post had you gone into these stores and specifically asked them to play "metal", or are you just assuming this will be the case?

[/quote']

You really think these people would play songs such as - charger "god made us an image out of his ass" or agoraphobic nosebleed "bitches handbag full of money" hahaaaa never