aberdeen-music

Aberdeen music shop scene

rune

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my ending for you! There once was a shop called one-up' date=' it was a nice little shop that played only what the staff wanted, this shop also had customers that bought cds, The customers also wondered mmmmm ive never heard this band before, i think i'll go and ask these nice people at the desk to put it on but only to their amazement were they met with "oh i'm sorry we can't play this kind of music here" but then found out later that the bad man was telling lies and should of re-phrased it with "oh please fuck off we dont like your requests in our shop". Then the customer remembered "why tho?" Ive been to other shops and asked for a cd to be played and been met with "why offcourse", the customer liked this cd and decided to buy it, thus leaving both parties happy

The end :D[/quote']

yes but that is of course a mere fable. a myth. if one of our jolly customers approached the counter and asked to listen to a cd they'd be given the cd of their choice and directed to the very handy cd player on our counter bought especially just for them with no listening limit(unlike every other record shop i've ever been to) and with helpful directions on how to use the thing. i don't really think you've ever been into any shop(other than the cavern, which doesn't have a listening post so mike sticks it on the shop deck but he probably wouldn't want to listen to pig destroyer) and asked them to play anything over the speakers. let alone them actually doing it if you have. in fact i'm not sure you've even set foot in a record shop before in your life. you're so unlikely a creation of humanity that i'm not even sure you exist. i think you're probably a figment of everyones paranoid imaginations sent to wind us up and irritate the fucking hell out of us.

Rune,

You are truly making yourself look like an ass.

Chris and Dave (and others) have all stated valid points that pretty much have pissed all over your original statement.

Also:

1) Guess what? Most people find that extreme metal sounds as shit as you think Busted sound.

2) Guess what? Most people find that Busted sounds as good as extreme metal does to you.

Thus: Main stream shops will play music for main stream people.

They stock Guitar Wolf... I've never heard Guitar Wolf being played. I like some bizarre synth box music... never heard it played in shops... and it doesnt bother me... because I know most people think it sounds horrible.

One-Up are very good for playing a vast selection of music, the staff are very helpful and I've never been let down by a single recommendation they have given me. They do play metal and they do play various other obscure genres.

Rune, you also sound like a hypocrite... you are upset because they wont play the music you like... well I couldnt see you happily standing around listening to Sonic Youth and the latest 'Atom and his Package' import.... because I know that would make me extremely happy... but I deal with the fact that to listen to the music I like I have to do most of it on my own stereo.

Simple. Deal with it.

Rune' date='

You are truly making yourself look like an ass.

Chris and Dave (and others) have all stated valid points that pretty much have pissed all over your original statement.

Also:

1) Guess what? Most people find that extreme metal sounds as shit as you think Busted sound.

2) Guess what? Most people find that Busted sounds as good as extreme metal does to you.

Thus: Main stream shops will play music for main stream people.

They stock Guitar Wolf... I've never heard Guitar Wolf being played. I like some bizarre synth box music... never heard it played in shops... and it doesnt bother me... because I know most people think it sounds horrible.

One-Up are very good for playing a vast selection of music, the staff are very helpful and I've never been let down by a single recommendation they have given me. They do play metal and they do play various other obscure genres.

Rune, you also sound like a hypocrite... you are upset because they wont play the music you like... well I couldnt see you happily standing around listening to Sonic Youth and the latest 'Atom and his Package' import.... because I know that would make me extremely happy... but I deal with the fact that to listen to the music I like I have to do most of it on my own stereo.

Simple. Deal with it.[/quote']

Dont praise to me what i should and shouldnt like, as a matter of fact i own all the sonic youth albums. So fuck you, another stab in the dark, who looks stupid now?

What makes you think that you know my musical catalogue? You dont. So please get a clue before you make these statements.

You tell me where the justice where a vast amount of unheard, unseen bands that go against the "grain" of popiular belief, are constantly working their asses off gigging non stop for a long time just to make a living, that sound fair to you? All because they are different and not part of the media "bandwagon".

Small bands need all the support they can get. FACT. The media is all one big fix. The charts are a fix, hell they even arent based on real sales from people that buy the damm cds. Big record lables pay money to the media for bands to get air time, thus the smaller lables get pushed out.

If you'de read my posts i do listen to alot of different genre's. Old and new.

Smaller lables are opressed. Big corporations are far too powerfull and get away with far too much. Then when a smaller lable finds a great band with potential, the bigger lable then decides oh we will buy them over, thus closing the smaller lable signing the band up and then dumping all the rest.

Please tell me how would you promote a smaller band that isnt accepted within the community? Dont you think shops should promote the stock they sell?

Oh and how do you think the smaller bands feel about this? Its bad enough that they work their asses of and get no break. This is peoples bread and butter youre talking about

Dont praise to me what i should and shouldnt like' date=' as a matter of fact i own all the sonic youth albums. So fuck you, another stab in the dark, who looks stupid now?

What makes you think that you know my musical catalogue? You dont. So please get a clue before you make these statements.

You tell me where the justice where a vast amount of unheard, unseen bands that go against the "grain" of popiular belief, are constantly working their asses off gigging non stop for a long time just to make a living, that sound fair to you? All because they are different and not part of the media "bandwagon".

Small bands need all the support they can get. FACT. The media is all one big fix. The charts are a fix, hell they even arent based on real sales from people that buy the damm cds. Big record lables pay money to the media for bands to get air time, thus the smaller lables get pushed out.

Smaller lables are opressed. Big corporations are far too powerfull and get away with far too much. Then when a smaller lable finds a great band with potential, the bigger lable then decides oh we will buy them over, thus closing the smaller lable signing the band up and then dumping all the rest.

Please tell me how would you promote a smaller band that isnt accepted within the community? Dont you think shops should promote the stock they sell?

Oh and how do you think the smaller bands feel about this? Its bad enough that they work their asses of and get no break. This is peoples bread and butter youre talking about[/quote']

You're speaking to someone who has had to play in america where fuck all people knew who we were. I know how it feels... its a slow progress. It's also got a lot to do with luck, hard luck and who you meet on the way.

And music shops are a business, most will just promote what already sells... a sad fact.

I agree with you about labels and small bands... trust me, but the thing with, "alternative" bands is that most people are too narrow minded to care about, "aye, that goth shit, min" even without having listened to it. They just arent interested.

Sonic Youth was a random example... I'm guessing I'd be correct about the 'Atom and his package' comment though???

Dont praise to me what i should and shouldnt like' date=' as a matter of fact i own all the sonic youth albums. So fuck you, another stab in the dark, who looks stupid now?

Oh and how do you think the smaller bands feel about this? Its bad enough that they work their asses of and get no break. This is peoples bread and butter youre talking about[/quote']

for fuck sake. how many times must we drill this into your head? some shops do do exactly what you are wanting. one up supports and encourages small independent labels and small independent bands. it's what we sell most of, it's what we play most of and it's what the staff listen to almost exclusively. shut up. stop talking and walk away from this argument. you have no argument. there is media that supports the music you like and listen to. it's called fanzines, e-zines and small magazines. hell there's even terrorizor which covers most of the extreme music you need. we also stock punk planet and until it stopped arriving maximum rock n roll.

and anyway since when did this argument become about the fucking media? stop being such a fucking hypocrite, you had a go at me for raising valhella(though mine was a valid point) yet you've jumped in with a media debate whenever you've run out of points about shops consistently throughout this pointless waste of a fucking thread.

surely enough has been said in this thread and on this subject? yes more can be done to support underground bands but you keep implying that nothing is being done and that there is no support in shops in aberdeen. that is a lie. an untruth. open your ears and your eyes. stop winding everyone up. go do something constructive instead. what have you done to support the music you love? i can ask this with a clear conscience cause for the last few years i've played it, promoted it and ran club nights for people to hear it. i've sold it, recommended it and put it on in my places of work. i've written about it for fanzines and e-zines. i've booked bands and put on gigs so people can come and see it live. all you seem to have done is moan about nothing being done to help it, well fucking do something about it and stop hassling the people who are doing something about it and support them instead eh! there are lots of promoters and writers and bands and dj's in aberdeen that are into the music you're into, find them and work with them. help them. support them and stop fucking complaining from behind a computer screen.

for fuck sake. how many times must we drill this into your head? some shops do do exactly what you are wanting. one up supports and encourages small independent labels and small independent bands. it's what we sell most of' date=' it's what we play most of and it's what the staff listen to almost exclusively. shut up. stop talking and walk away from this argument. you have no argument. there is media that supports the music you like and listen to. it's called fanzines, e-zines and small magazines. hell there's even terrorizor which covers most of the extreme music you need. we also stock punk planet and until it stopped arriving maximum rock n roll.

and anyway since when did this argument become about the fucking media? stop being such a fucking hypocrite, you had a go at me for raising valhella(though mine was a valid point) yet you've jumped in with a media debate whenever you've run out of points about shops consistently throughout this pointless waste of a fucking thread.

surely enough has been said in this thread and on this subject? yes more can be done to support underground bands but you keep implying that nothing is being done and that there is no support in shops in aberdeen. that is a lie. an untruth. open your ears and your eyes. stop winding everyone up. go do something constructive instead. what have you done to support the music you love? i can ask this with a clear conscience cause for the last few years i've played it, promoted it and ran club nights for people to hear it. i've sold it, recommended it and put it on in my places of work. i've written about it for fanzines and e-zines. i've booked bands and put on gigs so people can come and see it live. all you seem to have done is moan about nothing being done to help it, well fucking do something about it and stop hassling the people who are doing something about it and support them instead eh! there are lots of promoters and writers and bands and dj's in aberdeen that are into the music you're into, find them and work with them. help them. support them and stop fucking complaining from behind a computer screen.[/quote']

Ok then, but dont you think that companies like mtv and the radio networks and also publications like kerrang have the scene cornered? What impact do you really think these metal/underground fanzines have? I dont think much but hey its better than nothing i guess.......

I really do think that if you look at the sales figures of alternate bands/lables compared to the bigger lables/bands you'de see a very big gulf indeed. Thats why i think that it needs to be evened out more. There should be far more balance as it really doesnt help the state of the music business when you look at it as a whole

Ok then' date=' but dont you think that companies like mtv and the radio networks and also publications like kerrang have the scene cornered? What impact do you really think these metal/underground fanzines have? I dont think much but hey its better than nothing i guess.......

I really do think that if you look at the sales figures of alternate bands/lables compared to the bigger lables/bands you'de see a very big gulf indeed. Thats why i think that it needs to be evened out more. There should be far more balance as it really doesnt help the state of the music business when you look at it as a whole[/quote']

but why does it have to be about sales figures? i'll be fucked if i want to sell 5 million albums and be on the cover of kerrang. and even if it is about sales you don't need the mainstream media to sell records, look at fugazi or godspeed you black emperor for instance. both groups shun media attention and both sell plenty records. okay probalby not as much as slipknot but enough to keep them happy and let them do another record, ain't that enough?

anyway the underground fanzines and metal/punk underground had enough impact to completely change music in the late 80's/early 90's when nirvana broke and they still have a huge influence on music these days too. the most important thing though is that i think you have to work out what you want from music. yea everyone wants their favourite bands to do well and they would if everyone told their friends about bands to check out, made mix tapes and cd's, and just spread the word. eventually that would pay off. i just muddle by listening to what looks interesting to me and checking out bands my friends have told me about and reading reviews in magazines from time to time. i'm happy and content cause i know nme and kerrang won't cover what i want to hear about and i know if they did they'd do it in a way that would anger me(i can see the nme 'how to dress like neurosis' article right now...). i've moved on and concentrated on spreading the good word myself and listening to others whom i respect instead of the press. the fanzines and internet are a tool that ANYONE can use, not just the privelaged labels which have large marketing budgets, the playing field has been levelled by these and this time it's our rules.

the major labels will never run the cd player in one up BECAUSE we control it, they're not helped by that fact. anyway, as another chain(fopp who have got the baker building) moves closer to the oldest independent record shop in aberdeen(25 years of trading this year folks) one up needs peoples support more than ever right now not futile nitpicking and illogical arguments. not that there's anything wrong with a little competition mind, well, so long as we win :)

Oh and Rune' date=' judging by what you've written (I foolishly posted without reading everything and actually knowing where the discussion was going before doing so), you're clearly an asshole.[/quote']

Thats very constructive or dont you have the brain power to argue my points without resorting to abuse? I think that proves your iq level

Thats very constructive or dont you have the brain power to argue my points without resorting to abuse? I think that proves your iq level

Why thank you. However, I think that making our thoughts known to everyone else forms the basis of these forums, and I simply made my feelings known judging by your comments on this thread. If it wasn't particularly constructive I apologise, but I don't feel I'd be covering anything that hasn't already been mentioned. Likewise it's perfectly acceptable for you to comment on my IQ level, which I wouldn't consider a credible way to judge anyone's quality of discussion, but that's democracy, so live with it.

but why does it have to be about sales figures? i'll be fucked if i want to sell 5 million albums and be on the cover of kerrang. and even if it is about sales you don't need the mainstream media to sell records' date=' look at fugazi or godspeed you black emperor for instance. both groups shun media attention and both sell plenty records. okay probalby not as much as slipknot but enough to keep them happy and let them do another record, ain't that enough?

anyway the underground fanzines and metal/punk underground had enough impact to completely change music in the late 80's/early 90's when nirvana broke and they still have a huge influence on music these days too. the most important thing though is that i think you have to work out what you want from music. yea everyone wants their favourite bands to do well and they would if everyone told their friends about bands to check out, made mix tapes and cd's, and just spread the word. eventually that would pay off. i just muddle by listening to what looks interesting to me and checking out bands my friends have told me about and reading reviews in magazines from time to time. i'm happy and content cause i know nme and kerrang won't cover what i want to hear about and i know if they did they'd do it in a way that would anger me(i can see the nme 'how to dress like neurosis' article right now...). i've moved on and concentrated on spreading the good word myself and listening to others whom i respect instead of the press. the fanzines and internet are a tool that ANYONE can use, not just the privelaged labels which have large marketing budgets, the playing field has been levelled by these and this time it's our rules.

the major labels will never run the cd player in one up BECAUSE we control it, they're not helped by that fact. anyway, as another chain(fopp who have got the baker building) moves closer to the oldest independent record shop in aberdeen(25 years of trading this year folks) one up needs peoples support more than ever right now not futile nitpicking and illogical arguments. not that there's anything wrong with a little competition mind, well, so long as we win :)[/quote']

So you dont think the majors have too much power? This music industry could become a "microsoft" like development. With this huge gulf in sales between the minors and the majors do you not think "holy shit" these smaller lables could get bought over.

It could happen, then you would have an industry that would be more one sided than ever.

I still cant believe that robbie williams bullshit gets millions off a record deal, it just shows you the gulf in figures that these companies have.

Thats why you have to get more of a balance in sales. What i want from music is to see smaller bands/lables making it more. You not think that major lables that pay magazines/tv companies/radio stations create more of a gulf?

So you dont think the majors have too much power? This music industry could become a "microsoft" like development. With this huge gulf in sales between the minors and the majors do you not think "holy shit" these smaller lables could get bought over.

It could happen' date=' then you would have an industry that would be more one sided than ever.

I still cant believe that robbie williams bullshit gets millions off a record deal, it just shows you the gulf in figures that these companies have.

Thats why you have to get more of a balance in sales. What i want from music is to see smaller bands/lables making it more. You not think that major lables that pay magazines/tv companies/radio stations create more of a gulf?[/quote']

um, it's already like microsoft. there is only 4 major labels. and two of these are trying to merge.

yes there's a gulf and yes the major labels create that gulf but the industry is corrupt. it is dictated by money and the only way to beat that is to sidestep it. ignore the industry and do it yourself and for music not money. the mainstream press, tv, and radio are all dictated by pr companies and advertising money. hmv and virgin's 'recommended' sections are paid for advertising spots. it all comes down to money and it sucks. the gulf is already unreachable. but they can't take fanzines and the internet away from us, yet. and there already is a huge multinational underground of bands, labels, promoters, dj's etc who are taking music back. maximum rock n roll publish a book every year called 'book your own life'(i think that's the title, something like that anyway) and there's a website called downhill battle that provides propoganda for the fight against major labels. there are a million and one other websites dedicated to diy music, there are even more dedicated to reviewing great independent music such as http://www.drownedinsound.com . i'm afraid to say i don't think pig destroyer will ever sell as much records as busted but the major labels certainly don't have it all their own way and so long as people remain interested and committed to underground music and in promoting it themselves then they never will have it their own way.

what's making it? my band's just put out our first ep on a friends label with no distribution and i'm fucking ecstatic. hopefully we'll get a small distribution deal and be able to get it in shops around the country and i'll be even happier but i think i've made it cause people can actually hear the music we've made now. i see no difference between that and headlining an enormodome to a thousand faceless people for megabucks. who wants to do that? a band has made it in my book when they can afford to put out another record, not when they get on the cover of kerrang. the whole point is to make more music, nothing more nothing less.

Right as far as i'm aware so far we have covered the fact that rune doesn't read any posts that answer his gripe. We have covered that it's a wind up, the major stores, clubs, the media and compared it to microsoft. So where we heading next the fact that none of the cruisers at the beach play alternative music, that the buses and trains don't pipe it in for all the passengers to enjoy, the fact that you can't enjoy the gental strains of thrash metal while sitting in the doctor's surgery or while in a lift?

Yes it is a sad state of affairs but the bands that you seem to think are suffering so much, still put out albums and singles don't they? therefore both the band and their record compnaies must be happy about the exposure they are getting. Sure they may never appear on top of the pops, by the fact that they are not pop bands means they more than likely won't.

Oh and the point Dave brought up about valhalla was relevant due to the fact that usually clubs get songs before they are released, therefore if people hear it in a club and like it they will tell thier friends and so on and the song becomes a hit. How do you think whigfield, the macarena and other pap did so well in the charts?

Rune, why don't you accept the fact that the music you like will never be popular, you live in a consumer society ,and should be proud of the fact that you aren't sucked in by the constant media onslaught of recycled shit.

Revel in the fact that you're music isn't popular and is'nt played everywhere, cos that normally means it's mass produced bollocks for the cattle/sheep/general public*

*delete as appropriate.

Basically, shut the fuck up and enjoy the fact you're not "normal".

• 8 months later...

RUNE if i heard for say example grunting anal wort in virgin i would be pissed because i know the music i like is not known/or liked by the majority of people.So this makes grunting anal wort mean something to me.

I think other people may get the idea for some peculiar reason i don't you will though

scumbag

RUNE if i heard for say example grunting anal wort in virgin i would be pissed because i know the music i like is not known/or liked by the majority of people.So this makes grunting anal wort mean something to me.

I think other people may get the idea for some peculiar reason i don't you will though

scumbag

Make sense you cunt :)

Taxi for rune...I think you've pretty much sealed your threads fate from the outside. The only "brain washing" seems to have been imparted on you. Judging by your mention of the majors and MTV its pretty obvious that your one of these people who think anything main stream is in some way bad. Y

You listen to a pretty obscure genre of music that the majority of music fans and just about everyone else either hates or has no time for...that is your reason why it's not played in shops and most likely never will be.

P.S I believe you are the one who has the wrong idea when it comes to Metal. Go listen to some Metallica or Testament...there's some melody in there too. Anal Cunt...I mean really C'MON!...COOKIE COOKIE COOKIE!