aberdeen-music

Aberdeen music shop scene

rune

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen as people are talking about shops "doing it for the mainstream" with bands that are accepted, hell why dont we just scrap all the alternate scene as its not a real money maker and just sell the top 40, so all we can listen to is manufactured crap?

The real irony is' date=' if a band like Converge became massively successful, Rune seems like the kinda gut who would immediatley scream 'sell out'.[/quote']

I would say sell out when a band changes its style to become more accepted.

If a band doesnt change and does what it believes in and then becomes popular i would say yeah thats cool good for them. so youre totally wrong

Metal is metal? so korn' date=' limp bizkit, pig destroyer all fit into the same grouping?

Totally different bands, totally different styles. Do you really think fans of limp bizkit would goto see their band support the likes of pig destroyer? No chance in hell.

So how many plays in aberdeen stores have the likes of pig destroyer, anal cunt, agoraphobic nosebleed, assuck, cephalic carnage had in aberdeen stores? These are all bands i like and shops wouldnt play them, just down to the fact that they are way too controversial for the "mainstream". My metal taist is far more harsher than the stuff thats been mentioned. I wish people would wake up and stop being "musical fascists"

Shame this wasnt a crime or alot of people would be locked up[/quote']

man i've had enough of this shit. i've played pig destroyer many many times at valhella and have some cephalic carnage. i also own a couple of agoraphobic nosebleed records too. you think you're fucking metal? who gives a flying fuck. you already complained cause no one played any mistress but we have(both their albums) and now you're just going to keep pulling out names until you prove you're the most metal around. well whoopdy fucking do. if you're so fucking metal why don't i see you at valhella every week supporting the heaviest night in aberdeen and supporting underground metal? i also fail to see anything controversial about the bands you've listed.

get a grip, grow up and stop whining.

anyway aren't you being a bit fascist by dismissing the likes of slipknot and korn? sounds like musical fascism to me and is that the faint smell of hypocrisy in the air????? plus i got into better metal bands through the likes of korn, slipknot and limp bizkit so why can't someone else? i see these bands as a means to an end not an end. the kids who like slipkont today may like pig destroyer tomorrow.

i don't dismiss any music without hearing it, but i will NOT be told how to do my job by a faceless name on a messageboard who has no logical point and can only complain because he hasn't heard any bands he likes in a shop. do you want us to play every single fucking cd in the shop in the hope someone likes it? you try standing behind a counter for 8 hours a day surrounded by cd's and listening to music you don't like all fucking day. i quit hmv for a reason years ago. :)

we play what we want to hear not cause we dismiss other music but because we want to hear it, it's our fucking shop and our fucking perogative. i don't expect to have to explain this again.

anyway aren't you being a bit fascist by dismissing the likes of slipknot and korn? sounds like musical fascism to me and is that the faint smell of hypocrisy in the air?????

I'm glad you said that, save me the bother. tho im not sure if i should be offended by the 'kids who like slipknot' statement ;)

Rune, you've achieved little else but coming across as a metal elitist... i FUCKING hate metal elitists, it just makes people who dont know anything about the genre think every metalhead is totally up themselves claiming metal as the 'real' genre whilst trying to cram 'Real Metal' down everyone elses throat. I honestly couldnt say i care for the bands you've listed either, though i consider myself a Metalhead, shit i must be faking it, my secret is out....

Anyway... it's funny, i go into shops to buy stuff... not listen to the music... what a freak i am....

Rune' date=' you've achieved little else but coming across as a metal elitist... i FUCKING hate metal elitists, [/quote']

the term 'metal elitist' makes me think of a fat, spotty, long-haired, 28 year old virgin in a dirty black t-shirt that displays the logo of an obscure eastern european black metal band that reeks due to an ommitence of deoderant and showering by said person.

I'm glad you said that' date=' save me the bother. tho im not sure if i should be offended by the 'kids who like slipknot' statement ;)

Rune, you've achieved little else but coming across as a metal elitist... i FUCKING hate metal elitists, it just makes people who dont know anything about the genre think every metalhead is totally up themselves claiming metal as the 'real' genre whilst trying to cram 'Real Metal' down everyone elses throat. I honestly couldnt say i care for the bands you've listed either, though i consider myself a Metalhead, shit i must be faking it, my secret is out....

Anyway... it's funny, i go into shops to buy stuff... not listen to the music... what a freak i am....[/quote']

Yeah so do i go into shops and buy cds, what a coinsidence. Then i got real sick of waisting my money on shit and decided to check them out on the internet after.

I dont need your opinion to tell me what i like and dont like thank you very much :)

So you dont think nu-metal is a fad? I do

man i've had enough of this shit. i've played pig destroyer many many times at valhella and have some cephalic carnage. i also own a couple of agoraphobic nosebleed records too. if you're so fucking metal why don't i see you at valhella every week supporting the heaviest night in aberdeen and supporting underground metal? i also fail to see anything controversial about the bands you've listed.

I fail to see what you dj'ing at drakes has to do with record shops. So song titles like Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Children Blown To Bits By The Busload' date=' Pig Destroyer - Tickets to the car crash arent controversial?

anyway aren't you being a bit fascist by dismissing the likes of slipknot and korn? sounds like musical fascism to me and is that the faint smell of hypocrisy in the air????? plus i got into better metal bands through the likes of korn, slipknot and limp bizkit so why can't someone else? i see these bands as a means to an end not an end. the kids who like slipkont today may like pig destroyer tomorrow.

Ive listened to these bands and ive even purchased to my misfortune a korn cd. I also have the first 2 slipknot cds and the live dvd but now i think both are shit.

i don't dismiss any music without hearing it, but i will NOT be told how to do my job by a faceless name on a messageboard who has no logical point and can only complain because he hasn't heard any bands he likes in a shop. do you want us to play every single fucking cd in the shop in the hope someone likes it? you try standing behind a counter for 8 hours a day surrounded by cd's and listening to music you don't like all fucking day. i quit hmv for a reason years ago. :)

I get people at my work all day preaching to me bands i hate, thats life. Everyone at my work thinks metal is shit. I dont care. If you cant play the certain cds that your shop takes in why sell? Dont you think that these bands are mostly unknown to people? Hey ive worked in the retail industry i know what its like. I just rise above all that bullshit ans say so what why should shit like that bother me.

we play what we want to hear not cause we dismiss other music but because we want to hear it, it's our fucking shop and our fucking perogative. i don't expect to have to explain this again.

Thats a slightly shovanistic view to have, thats like me saying to one of my pals hey fuck you i aint puttin that shit on my stereo. I wouldnt do that youve goto be diplomatic

Its like i said tho the media totally shun type of bands ive mentioned......

or maybe the types of band you like shun the media?

but i mean i can see why HMV Virgin or even the independents choose NOT to play any extreme of a genre because the majority of their custom would be coming from the average music fan,or the kids buying that weeks singles, so it would pretty much alienate their customers by having for example Spazz or PIg Destroyer playing on the P.A

thats where dr dre etc. have got the smarts, with the invention of the "radio edit"

Oh My God shut the fuck up! i cant believe i just spent about 20 mins looking at you talking complete shite and everyone else on this forums telling you that you are a moron and you are still going! fuck if i went into one up and said to Dave "i want to listen to emperor now!" id damn well hope he would kick my ass out of the shop...do everyone a favour and stick to your internet shopping!

Yeah so do i go into shops and buy cds' date=' what a coinsidence. Then i got real sick of waisting my money on shit and decided to check them out on the internet after.

I dont need your opinion to tell me what i like and dont like thank you very much :)

So you dont think nu-metal is a fad? I do[/quote']

Please, no actually i insist, go through my post and please quote me when i was TELLING you what you like and what you don't like...

And no, i dont think nu-metal is a fad, it's down to it's popularity, i think kids jumping on the bandwagon, wearing rediculously baggy clothing with their own weight in chains hanging from said baggies is/was a fad, just the same as in about 12 months when 90% of emo kids just now will have done away with their stupid side parted haircuts for the next big thing. I recon Slipknot left the nu-metal tag behind after the first album, and i can assure you, the Subliminal Verses has about as much in common with Nu-Metal as it does with Acid Jazz.

Thats a slightly shovanistic view to have' date=' thats like me saying to one of my pals hey fuck you i aint puttin that shit on my stereo. I wouldnt do that youve goto be diplomatic[/quote']

First off, your spelling lesson for the day.... chauvinistic

Secondly, what exactly does, one-up or actually for that matter, any of the record shops in aberdeen owe you, that they have to play your music, its not really anything like you telling your mates not to put music on your sterio, because it's their shop, like where they do business, and if there's anything on which isn't really suitable for all musical ears, then it effects their business, which costs them money, which im sure they're not willing to do just to keep you happy, as for one-up, (for the millionth time) they do play metal... they do play what you want to hear, not all the time, but they do...

I fail to see what you dj'ing at drakes has to do with record shops. So song titles like Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Children Blown To Bits By The Busload' date=' Pig Destroyer - Tickets to the car crash arent controversial?[/quote']

They're about as controversial as a 14.99 PC game about football hooligans based on an old Command and Conquer engine.

Ive listened to these bands and ive even purchased to my misfortune a korn cd. I also have the first 2 slipknot cds and the live dvd but now i think both are shit.

Why are you blowing the Korn thing out of proportion? They're pretty terrible, but they are, for all intents and purposes, a metal band. They were only used as an example of a metal band you're likely to hear in a shop.

I get people at my work all day preaching to me bands i hate, thats life. Everyone at my work thinks metal is shit. I dont care. If you cant play the certain cds that your shop takes in why sell? Dont you think that these bands are mostly unknown to people? Hey ive worked in the retail industry i know what its like. I just rise above all that bullshit ans say so what why should shit like that bother me.

Did you sell punctuation when you worked in retail? I ask because you're clearly out of stock right now. Your stubborness is beginning to really get to me now. I'd love to walk into Virgin tomorrow and hear the band that'd change my life. That's unlikely though. You what to spread the music you love? Write fanzines; make mix tapes; form a band; start (productive) threads on message boards.

Guest gilly
You really think these people would play songs such as - charger "god made us an image out of his ass" or agoraphobic nosebleed "bitches handbag full of money" hahaaaa never

So you lied then?

They hadn't "refused" to play all your "controversial metal" songs it all.

You just hadn't bothered to ask.

Seems a little silly making a thread and a big deal about a fact which you haven't even investigated?

Tut tut.

Why worry what they're playing in Aberdeen stores anyways? At the very most I spend twenty [at the VERY most] minutes in One Up or FOPP and ten at the most in HMV or Virgin. Why would I really care what's playing? I've a perfectly good stereo at home and enough XxXtreme CDs that those fascist bastards would never play sitting at home anyways! I go home and listen to those CDs when the sun sets with my pigs. In the dark.

or maybe the types of band you like shun the media?

but i mean i can see why HMV Virgin or even the independents choose NOT to play any extreme of a genre because the majority of their custom would be coming from the average music fan' date='or the kids buying that weeks singles, so it would pretty much alienate their customers by having for example Spazz or PIg Destroyer playing on the P.A

thats where dr dre etc. have got the smarts, with the invention of the "radio edit"[/quote']

Possibly they do shun the media not sure on that one.......

Maybe it would alienate their customers but hey dont you really think that even if one person liked it, wouldnt you consider this to be a small success in the underground scene?

Oh My God shut the fuck up! i cant believe i just spent about 20 mins looking at you talking complete shite and everyone else on this forums telling you that you are a moron and you are still going! fuck if i went into one up and said to Dave "i want to listen to emperor now!" id damn well hope he would kick my ass out of the shop...do everyone a favour and stick to your internet shopping!

So please tell me how my points arent valid?

Its fact that grindcore,thrash dont get little mention. Yet the bands continue on trying to make a life out of it with little or no success.

You think this is right?

So you lied then?

They hadn't "refused" to play all your "controversial metal" songs it all.

You just hadn't bothered to ask.

Seems a little silly making a thread and a big deal about a fact which you haven't even investigated?

Tut tut.

I know even before asking that these songs wouldnt get played, they are for too extreme.

Maybe they hadnt refused to play them but i really honestly do think that they wouldnt be considered appropriate for playing in a shop