aberdeen-music

Aberdeen music shop scene

rune

I find it really shit that all hmv,virgin,one up sell metal and yet refuse to play it instore on the speakers, to me this is a total hipocrasy that whilst these shops think its ok to sell these cds and yet not give them any air time.....

How do they expect to sell metal cds when they dont play them hell they might even find more fans to endorse the metal scene. To me its like yeah ok we will take your money but dont ask us to play that shit and that really sucks the big one.

All in all i really do think whilst most of the media/retailers turn a blind eye to the metal community the metal scene will suffer even more than it is currently. Why the fuck does metal get so little mention? Is it because its not melodic enough? Maybe its a parental thing? Fuck knows but im real sick of it

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it really shit that all hmv' date='virgin,one up sell metal and yet refuse to play it instore on the speakers, to me this is a total hipocrasy that whilst these shops think its ok to sell these cds and yet not give them any air time.....

How do they expect to sell metal cds when they dont play them hell they might even find more fans to endorse the metal scene. To me its like yeah ok we will take your money but dont ask us to play that shit and that really sucks the big one.

All in all i really do think whilst most of the media/retailers turn a blind eye to the metal community the metal scene will suffer even more than it is currently. Why the fuck does metal get so little mention? Is it because its not melodic enough? Maybe its a parental thing? Fuck knows but im real sick of it[/quote']

I've heard One Up play metal, and I've heard them play music with swears in it too. I was once in a shoe shop that had that Too Many DJ's disk with that "Fuck Me" song on. That was cool.

I'm willing to bet all these stores play metal, and I'm sure I've heard it in them all, but they're unlikely to play Count Kryznakofkiskigrish's new band or whatever just as I don't expect to hear The Knife or Broken Spindles in Virgin.

I've heard One Up play metal' date=' and I've heard them play music with swears in it too. I was once in a shoe shop that had that Too Many DJ's disk with that "Fuck Me" song on. That was cool.

I'm willing to bet all these stores play metal, and I'm sure I've heard it in them all, but they're unlikely to play Count Kryznakofkiskigrish's new band or whatever just as I don't expect to hear The Knife or Broken Spindles in Virgin.[/quote']

In all my time in music shops ive never heard metal music once

In all my time in music shops ive never heard metal music once

well big fucking deal. you have a stereo at home go use it.

I've spent a lot of time in one-up over the years and they play lots of metal. But you have to consider that as a business they can't blast the heavy stuff out all day as it'll stop people coming in the shop. I don't see how it's a double standard at all to sell a style of music but not play it, the two things are seperate.

And aside from that maybe the staff don't want to listen to metal. It's a perk of their job, they get to listen to music that's not piped in from a head office somewhere so it may as well be something they actually like.

well big fucking deal. you have a stereo at home go use it.

I've spent a lot of time in one-up over the years and they play lots of metal. But you have to consider that as a business they can't blast the heavy stuff out all day as it'll stop people coming in the shop. I don't see how it's a double standard at all to sell a style of music but not play it' date=' the two things are seperate.

And aside from that maybe the staff don't want to listen to metal. It's a perk of their job, they get to listen to music that's not piped in from a head office somewhere so it may as well be something they actually like.[/quote']

Where did i mention "all day"??

I mentioned the fact that ive never heard it instore, maybe they dont want to listen? Looks like your presumpting. You cant presumpt anything, how do you know if they are metal fans or not?

Why cant you see that for a store to sell a genre they must promote it? How do people know that the cds that the store are selling are any good?

A related tale: The other day I was in HMV and they were playing Never Mind the Bollocks, I supoose as it was in some kind of offer and they were trying to flog it. When it got to 'Bodies', the (presumably) unaware shop assistants let it play until the 'fuck this and fuck that, fuck it all and fuck that fucking brat' section, immediately after which it was hurriedly turned off by the surprised staff and a great many dull people looked horrified.

Very, very humourous and a reassuring sign that the Pistols can still shock.

You can honestly say you've never even heard Linkin Park or Korn in a mainstream music store?

Fuck linkin park and korn i dont regard them as real metal

I regard bands such as pig destroyer, agoraphobic nosebleed, converge, mistress, charger

and so on and so on as real metal

A related tale: The other day I was in HMV and they were playing Never Mind the Bollocks' date=' I supoose as it was in some kind of offer and they were trying to flog it. When it got to 'Bodies', the (presumably) unaware shop assistants let it play until the 'fuck this and fuck that, fuck it all and fuck that fucking brat' section, immediately after which it was hurriedly turned off by the surprised staff and a great many dull people looked horrified.

Very, very humourous and a reassuring sign that the Pistols can still shock.[/quote']

lol... you can imagine the staff feeling all cool and edgy for putting it on, then shitting it when they heard "fuck" in case some old granny dropped her daniel o'donnell cd and ran out the shop...

Guest haigyman

I mentioned the fact that ive never heard it instore' date=' maybe they dont want to listen? Looks like your presumpting. You cant presumpt anything, how do you know if they are metal fans or not?

Why cant you see that for a store to sell a genre they must promote it? How do people know that the cds that the store are selling are any good?[/quote']

i don't really want to get involved in this debate...but it's a very rare occasion where i've bought a cd after hearing it in a store, usually it's from seeing the band or hearing a single on the radio/tv, so surely they'll still sell plenty cds without promoting the genre...if they didn't, why would they still stock that genre?

i don't really want to get involved in this debate...but it's a very rare occasion where i've bought a cd after hearing it in a store' date=' usually it's from seeing the band or hearing a single on the radio/tv, so surely they'll still sell plenty cds without promoting the genre...if they didn't, why would they still stock that genre?[/quote']

Its like i said tho the media totally shun type of bands ive mentioned......

I mentioned the fact that ive never heard it instore' date=' maybe they dont want to listen? Looks like your presumpting. You cant presumpt anything, how do you know if they are metal fans or not?

Why cant you see that for a store to sell a genre they must promote it? How do people know that the cds that the store are selling are any good?[/quote']

You didn't mention all day, fair enough I exaggerated.

I presume (note the spelling) nothing. It seems you are the one making assumptions. I know if they're metal fans or not because I'm friends with many of the staff in one-up and my brother is the floor manager there. Some of them love the metal riff, some of them don't.

Anyway (and I'll keep using one-up as my example here because I know it) they do promote the music they sell. I tihnk you'll find that the staff in one up usually have a very good knowledge of what they're selling and who they're selling it to. They'll tell you if CD's you might like have been released and are happy to recommend stuff if you ask. And they have a cd player at the counter if you want to make your ears bleed before you buy. I don't really see what else they can do. They do play metal and other heavy genres in store, but it's not practical to do so too much or they'll annoy the customers. If you've never heard anything you like in the shop, well, tough really. Your loss but it's not really a big deal.

If shops are willing to take your cash then yes i think they should play it aswell.

By that logic they'd have to play everything they sell, which just isn't practical. There isn't an anti-metal conspiracy, it's just:

a)the chain stores have to appease the majority of customers

b)the indie stores do what they can, but can't please all of the people all of the time.

A related tale: The other day I was in HMV and they were playing Never Mind the Bollocks' date=' I supoose as it was in some kind of offer and they were trying to flog it. When it got to 'Bodies', the (presumably) unaware shop assistants let it play until the 'fuck this and fuck that, fuck it all and fuck that fucking brat' section, immediately after which it was hurriedly turned off by the surprised staff and a great many dull people looked horrified.

Very, very humourous and a reassuring sign that the Pistols can still shock.[/quote']

a similar incident happened when they played metallica's "the unamed feeling"(??) a couple of months ago

a big, blatant sweary part was immediately followed by dead air

i laughed

You didn't mention all day' date=' fair enough I exaggerated.

I presume (note the spelling) nothing. It seems you are the one making assumptions. I know if they're metal fans or not because I'm friends with many of the staff in one-up and my brother is the floor manager there. Some of them love the metal riff, some of them don't.

Anyway (and I'll keep using one-up as my example here because I know it) they do promote the music they sell. I tihnk you'll find that the staff in one up usually have a very good knowledge of what they're selling and who they're selling it to. They'll tell you if CD's you might like have been released and are happy to recommend stuff if you ask. And they have a cd player at the counter if you want to make your ears bleed before you buy. I don't really see what else they can do. They do play metal and other heavy genres in store, but it's not practical to do so too much or they'll annoy the customers. If you've never heard anything you like in the shop, well, tough really. Your loss but it's not really a big deal.[/quote']

Ok some of the staff in one up have metal knowledge, but i didnt single out one store, i was stating it as a broader picture.

I didnt make any assumptions, i was only questioning your first post.

Where did i state that i didnt like anything they played? Why do you keep on making statements that bear no point that ive made?

Doesn't Virgin have that stupid store radio station thing?

As for hmv, one up and fopp, they probably do play the metal but when it's quiet as during the busy periods, the majority of the shoppers want to listen to stuff that make them happy, and if they are happy will spend more, hence the reason it's more mainstream chart stuff. Unforunate i know but most of the time they have a list of songs (talking about the chain stores here) that they have to promote during the busiest periods, to encourage sales of those albums, and to keep everyone happy.

Im sure if you asked they would play what you wanted, but can pretty much guarantee that as soon as you left the shop it would be switched off.

Doesn't Virgin have that stupid store radio station thing?

As for hmv' date=' one up and fopp, they probably do play the metal but when it's quiet as during the busy periods. The majority of the shoppers want to listen to stuff that make them happy, and if they are happy will spend more, hence the reason it's more mainstream chart stuff. Unforunate i know but most of the time they have a list of songs (talking about the chain stores here) that they have to promote during the busiest periods, to encourage sales of those albums, and to keep everyone happy.

Im sure if you asked they would play what you wanted, but can pretty much guarantee that as soon as you left the shop it would be switched off.[/quote']

You may find this article interesting.

Louder, faster music apparently makes people more impulsive shoppers and can put them in more of a "party mood", which I assume is conductive to spending.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayreview/story/0,12102,771089,00.html

Guest neil ex
Fuck linkin park and korn i dont regard them as real metal

I regard bands such as pig destroyer' date=' agoraphobic nosebleed, converge, mistress, charger

and so on and so on as real metal[/quote']

aye man, but they sell korn and linkin prak in all the music shops you mentioned. how the fuck are they supposed to sell any korn or prak cds if they don't fucking play it man?

I used to work in Virgin (in Glasgow)....

We had to (still have to) play the Virgin Radio.....

Occassionally (depending on which boss we had in) we could play cds we like. There are alot of people that worked there and we all had varying tastes in music, so you had to "fight" over which cds could go on. Anything heavy will scare customers away and as our job is to sell music we could hardly play really heavy music as it doesn't appeal to enough people....

There are cd listening posts there for people that want to listen to something...use them!

For those that care.

One Up used to have:

Death Section

Grindcore Section

Doom Section

Thrash Section

Hardcore Section

Punk Section

etc

It was then merged into one as some people don`t know classifications.

This is going back to the Diamond St era of the shop.

Baz will no doubt clarify.

Indies in the UK are going out of business all the time.

Fopp has never really been a "Metal" shop.

People have always been atracted to the middle ground in every sence.

Converge has definately been played in One Up.