aberdeen-music

Favourite childhood cartoons

Paranoid Android

Time for a bit of nostalgia :)

What were you watching when you were a wee nipper?

My favourite show was always

I bought it on dvd a few years ago and it's still ace :up:

For so long I didn't realise that

was a play on words. I thought it was the character's name in the original story too :(

I spent a couple of years obsessed with Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles

I don't really remember anything that happened in this show, but I did like it a lot.

It's possible I liked the intro credits of this more than the actual show.
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone remember Pro-Stars? I'm starting to believe I'm making it up, because no one remembers it. It was three sportsmen who went about fighting crime. Pretty sure it was Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky and Bo Jackson. They'd use their sports gear as weapons to take down bad guys, like a hockey stick that shot out a puck like a bullet, and an exploding smoke screen basketball. If the bad guy was running away on foot, Bo would say "go long!" and he'd hail mary the ball and put it right on the head of the baddie. Taken down. Immense. Bo had the versatility of using Baseball gear too, as he played both games. A bit of a cheap cop out, I guess. Gretzky was the comic relief. Probably insinuating all those knocks on the head have made him a bit dim, and all he ever wanted was a sandwich.

It was ace anyway, and I always thought they should have done an English version of it, perhaps starring Graham Gooch, Chris Sutton and Keith Senior.

Does anyone remember Pro-Stars? I'm starting to believe I'm making it up, because no one remembers it. It was three sportsmen who went about fighting crime. Pretty sure it was Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky and Bo Jackson. They'd use their sports gear as weapons to take down bad guys, like a hockey stick that shot out a puck like a bullet, and an exploding smoke screen basketball. If the bad guy was running away on foot, Bo would say "go long!" and he'd hail mary the ball and put it right on the head of the baddie. Taken down. Immense. Bo had the versatility of using Baseball gear too, as he played both games. A bit of a cheap cop out, I guess. Gretzky was the comic relief. Probably insinuating all those knocks on the head have made him a bit dim, and all he ever wanted was a sandwich.

It was ace anyway, and I always thought they should have done an English version of it, perhaps starring Graham Gooch, Chris Sutton and Keith Senior.

Do you remember the Hurricanes? A cartoon all about a football team who solved crimes or saved the environment, something like that? There was a South American player who played in his bare feet. Don't remember much else.

EDIT:

MASK

He-Man

Superted

I loved these as well. I once had He-man wallpaper in my bedroom!

I liked Hurricanes despite not wanting to like it because it was on citv and I'd decided (quite rightly) that cbbc was much better. I wouldn't rank it among the classics though.

completely forgot about Dogtanian' date=' though it looks terrible now![/quote']

Wrong!! It looks ace! :p

I don't think I ever watched thundercats, I missed out on that one.

Another I remember liking is

. Anyone remember it?

Did no one else watch visionaries? :moody:

I remember Centurions, pretty sure I had some knock-off toys based on the characters.

Others I'm recalling:

Voltron [apparently in production as a live action film]

Go-Bots

Dino Riders [awesome toys! Massive dinosaurs with guns!]

The Pirates of the Dark Water

the-pirates-of-dark-water.jpg

I'm pretty sure the flying thing was an inspiration for Jar-Jar Binks. The supposed comic relief pissed me off as a kid.

StarCom

Ulysses 31

This?

Because that would maybe be even better!

I wish! The song on mine is called "Turtle Power" by a group calling themselves "Partners In Kryme" (I kid you not!) and the b-sides are Splinter's Tale 1 and Splinter's Tale 2.

I've just had a wee hunt and if anyone is mad keen on picking up a copy:

7" single Partners In Kryme Turtle Power on eBay (end time 12-Oct-10 22:19:56 BST)

YAS.

Does anyone remember Pro-Stars?

I used to watch that, it was on Channel 4 on Sunday mornings. Keith Senior would use his giant head as a weapon in the English version.

A LIST OF CARTOONS I LIKED:

Animaniacs

Count Duckula

Danger Mouse

Freakazoid

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors

Rocko's Modern Life

TMNT

I hated The Raccoons, I couldn't see the point in a cartoon being on that wasn't funny and kept trying to teach me things. It made me angry.

Does anyone remember Pro-Stars?

I remember it.

That's not the theme I remember.

I'd totally forgotten about Centurions. Like a lot of these things (Transformers, MASK) the coolest bit was when they transformed. One thing that annoyed me about Centurions was I could never keep track of all the different variations to their suits and I often couldn't figure out the logic to which suit they picked to wear. Also, their suits looked shit without the extra bits on them.

A few of my favourites were:

Count Duckula

Ghostbusters

Duck Tales

Looney Tunes

I hated The Raccoons, I couldn't see the point in a cartoon being on that wasn't funny and kept trying to teach me things. It made me angry.

I watched it every Saturday without fail despite my hatred for it. I remember finding it really depressing even when I was about 6 years old; the whole thing just seemed so slow and sad, I'd love to watch it now to see if it really was as bleak as I remember.

My old boss totally looked like Cyril Sneer though, that was a great realisation.

I liked

Top Cat

Johnny Bravo

Pinky and the Brain

CatDog

Wacky Races

Scooby Doo (Minus that moron, Scrappy. Prick.)

Catch the Pigeon

The Flintstones

Cow and Chicken

Dexter's Lab

Angry Beavers

I used to watch that, it was on Channel 4 on Sunday mornings. Keith Senior would use his giant head as a weapon in the English version.

A LIST OF CARTOONS I LIKED:

Animaniacs

Count Duckula

Danger Mouse

Freakazoid

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors

Rocko's Modern Life

TMNT

He would also use his head to open doors, or break through stubborn environment. The muscle!

Rocko's Modern Life was excellent, but way too gross to be suitable for kids. I vividly remember the dog slobbering until the bowl filled up, drinking it, and slobbering again, repeatedly. Foul. Great show.