aberdeen-music

Rehearsal Room 10 p/h

JenJen

Hey there..

I'm in the process of opening a rehearsal room in inverurie. Hoping to open in December. Equipment supplied from Drums to amps, mics to leads, keyboards and pianos too. Available 6 till 10 monday to Saturday, Sunday 4 till 8.

Only 10 per hour. Ample parking right outside the door, no noise restrictions, only one room so you wont be hearing any neighbours rehearsing.

Any advise as to what you would expect from a rehearsal room would be appreciated.

Also any interested would be greatly accepted.

Thanks

Jen

As long as the PA works and vocals are clear then a practice room's a practice room. I cannot stress enough how important this is.

what he said. and a half decent drum kit doesn't hurt either... drummers will bring their own breakables but if you have a decent kit there it does make a pretty huge difference

xx

Guest idol_wild
I'm spending quite a packet on gear... as soon as it's delivered I'll post the exact specifics...

This could potentially make or break a musician's decision to use your space. Really important to advertise the technical specification of the in-house gear.

Try advertising around Aberdeen (One Up, Kilau, Bruce Millers, Earl of Sandwich, Retrospect - any retail/food outlet independently run and with some level of morals, ethics, and community spirit) with posters and flyers, outlining the in-house gear, location, perhaps a wee photo or two, and really hammer the fact that it's 10 per hour. If you stock the space with good gear, I can see bands make the effort to travel to Inverurie if the space is good. 10 an hour is a decent rate for a good space with good gear.

Good luck! :up:

This could potentially make or break a musician's decision to use your space. Really important to advertise the technical specification of the in-house gear.

Try advertising around Aberdeen (One Up, Kilau, Bruce Millers, Earl of Sandwich, Retrospect - any retail/food outlet independently run and with some level of morals, ethics, and community spirit) with posters and flyers, outlining the in-house gear, location, perhaps a wee photo or two, and really hammer the fact that it's 10 per hour. If you stock the space with good gear, I can see bands make the effort to travel to Inverurie if the space is good. 10 an hour is a decent rate for a good space with good gear.

Good luck! :up:

Yeah agreed. That's basically an hour extra for the money of town based studios

Re. the drumkit, if you want it to stay in decent nick for any length of time, I suggest you put a notice on the kit telling all drummers if they want to adjust the position of the toms or height of the cymbal stands, that they do not need to apply 1,000,000,000 lb/ft of torque to every wingnut on the effin' kit!

This drives me up the wall at Toms and MV. It's not really their fault, but clearly some of the drummers using their equipment need a lesson in how to look after stuff.

Guest idol_wild
Yeah agreed. That's basically an hour extra for the money of town based studios

And let's be fair, Aberdeen-based studios are pretty shit for in-house gear. Well, guitar amps and PA, anyway. I can't speak for drumkits. I'm no drummer.

And let's be fair, Aberdeen-based studios are pretty shit for in-house gear. Well, guitar amps and PA, anyway. I can't speak for drumkits. I'm no drummer.

Having sampled the delights of some Edinburgh and Glasgow studios I'd say that there is a huge gulf between the qualities available there and in Aberdeen and also in prices. I appreciate that there is less competition up here to drive prices down... I don't know the finances of running a practice studio though. Could be that rent here is particularly high or there are fewer helpful financial reprieves for those running a business in Aberdeen.

I think there are some cool extras that some studios provide in Glasgow, at slightly extra cost to the session, that could be added here with the view to bringing a standard session down.

Jen, might be worth considering some little extras from the get go that might allow you to make some more money.

Such as?

The ability to have a decent room recording of your practice in any room. Not hard to do, some relatively small expense to set up. Once that is in place that extra 10 for a session could be worth it. Unfortunately as folk are paying the higher amounts already there is no incentive for the studios to provide this kind of function. I think if Jen could set that up, the technology would pay for itself pretty quickly then it's the cost of a CD for her but extra functionality for your practice. Also extra incentive to travel to Inverurie.

I bought a piece of kit to do that myself but would have happily paid a small amount for it as part of studio time. Was more than happy with that option at a practice in a Glasgow studio. That was several years ago now, technology only gets cheaper.

The ability to have a decent room recording of your practice in any room. Not hard to do, some relatively small expense to set up. Once that is in place that extra 10 for a session could be worth it. Unfortunately as folk are paying the higher amounts already there is no incentive for the studios to provide this kind of function. I think if Jen could set that up, the technology would pay for itself pretty quickly then it's the cost of a CD for her but extra functionality for your practice. Also extra incentive to travel to Inverurie.

I bought a piece of kit to do that myself but would have happily paid a small amount for it as part of studio time. Was more than happy with that option at a practice in a Glasgow studio. That was several years ago now, technology only gets cheaper.

I thought you meant kit Kats and tins of irn bru when u said 'extras'. This'll work too.

Things I think are important......

1. The acoustics in the room are good. Will ultimately make or break a rehearsal room.

2. The PA works and sounds clear.

3. There are enough channels on the PA to accommodate backing vocals/keys/horns etc

4. The gear is good quality.

5. Remember not all bands want high gain guitar amps

6. Don't scrimp on the quality of the bass amp

7. A nice sofa

8. Guitar stands - I wish every practise room had a few

9. Somewhere to make a cuppa:-)