aberdeen-music

Valves

fatboy

What kind of amp do you have? This will alter the recommendations quite drastically. If it's a standard Marshall type then it more than likely uses EL34s. JJ EL34s are considered pretty decent for a good rock sound.

I think Fenders usually use 6L6 valves... but I'm a Marshall guy so I could be wrong.

I usually buy my valves from Hot Rox UK - Computer Matched Valves Guitar effects pedals Electro harmonix Guitar Strings as they're generally considered better than Watford Valves :: Watford valves is a U.K company that has become one of Europe's leading supliers of tested, graded and guaranteed valves to the professional music industry. - but I've never had any problems with Watford Valves.

Hot Rox = Good, Watford = overpriced!

What amp do you have?

I just got a set of Svetlana Winged C's for my Marshall and they're badass. A lot of recommendations for these for hard rock/metal.

As for preamp tubes, I'd replace the power tubes and see if you're happy. If you still think it's not as good, get the preamp tubes replaced. Preamp tubes should last a lot longer than the power tubes. I'd say twice as long. If you're looking for a slight tonal change in your amp, replacing the tubes closest to the input jack will usually help in most amps.

JJs are probably one of the more economical choices as they don't cost too much and do last much longer than a lot of other brands. Personally I have never had any problems with JJ's (revalved a mesa with 16x 6L6s), good solid sound. The winged C's are fucking hot though, used an amp with them (albeit through a nice cab) and it blew my mind

• 2 weeks later...
JJs are probably one of the more economical choices as they don't cost too much and do last much longer than a lot of other brands. Personally I have never had any problems with JJ's (revalved a mesa with 16x 6L6s), good solid sound. The winged C's are fucking hot though, used an amp with them (albeit through a nice cab) and it blew my mind

I've heard the same thing about JJs.

I had Svet Winged Cs in my Mesa when I got it. They are a sexy sounding valve, but I've not heard anything else through it to compare it with. I've got a mix of Mesa and Svet now. The only thing is, they do seem a little fragile and don't seem to last very long. I'll be going with the JJs next time, because it's all I can afford. :(

If I were you I'd go with the slightly more orbust JJs, good chance it'll reduce the risk of any of those Bugera horror stories we've all heard actually happeneing.