aberdeen-music

Student kills himself...

Bigsby

Two other students in the US have also commited suicide after being bullied because they were gay. That's three people in one month. It just makes me a little numb really.

There's a journalist in Seattle starting a project on youtube to try and get a message out to other kids who are the victims of bullies here: YouTube - itgetsbetterproject's Channel. I think it's a worthwhile project, but it's only a small ways towards doing something about it.

I think it's just highly unusual for them to happen so close together and with such frequency. Normally they would be more spaced out along the course of the school year.

I'm in the US at the moment and the other suicides got a lot of press before the guy who got taped. It seems to have been the one that the UK press picked up on.

• 2 weeks later...

No-offence but if you dont want people to know your gay then why have footage at-all. Pretty harsh it was put online but come on, not the end of the world really, unless of course you die as a result which this guy did, so yeah it is a bit end of the world but not really to normal people who suffer setbacks. Are you that sensitive that you cant take a setback, like I say no offence, Im not anti-gay or anything but it's just not that big a deal to have some ego kill themselves as they see themselves in so big a light that having footage out online is a life ender. Fuck him, Ive no sympathy for anyone like this. Try wandering down to sick kids hospital if life is so fucking bad, take a stroll and look at all the kids not going to make it to the age of 5 then weigh that up against your life shattering ordeal.

Crikey, Bux. A veritable 'woooosh' moment.

The gay suicide spate in the States reminds me a little of the Bridgend (?) situation in Wales a few years back. It snowballs; one guy empathises with the reasons behind another's suicide and follows suit. And so it continues. Very sad indeed.

No-offence but if you dont want people to know your gay then why have footage at-all. Pretty harsh it was put online but come on, not the end of the world really, unless of course you die as a result which this guy did, so yeah it is a bit end of the world but not really to normal people who suffer setbacks. Are you that sensitive that you cant take a setback, like I say no offence, Im not anti-gay or anything but it's just not that big a deal to have some ego kill themselves as they see themselves in so big a light that having footage out online is a life ender. Fuck him, Ive no sympathy for anyone like this. Try wandering down to sick kids hospital if life is so fucking bad, take a stroll and look at all the kids not going to make it to the age of 5 then weigh that up against your life shattering ordeal.

You should be a psychiatrist.

What's brought you here today?

I feel depressed and worthless. I've even been entertaining thoughts of suicide.

Here's a picture of a child with leukemia. OK?

Yes thanks.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to take the time that this was posted as evidence that you were maybe a littttttle bit drunk when writing this.

If I'm wrong, then 'whoa'.

Shame that he felt compelled to kill himself and it does raise many questions, however, It also raises questions that he knew that commiting homosexual acts was morally wrong.., or else he wouldnt have giving a shi*..

Are you joking?

I guess such a question might be raised (I mean, you've raised it yourself...) but I'd like to think that the answer from any remotely intelligent being would be 'what a bullshit question'.

Also... "committing (sic) homosexual acts..." - slightly offensive wording, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Shame that he felt compelled to kill himself and it does raise many questions, however, It also raises questions that he knew that commiting homosexual acts was morally wrong.., or else he wouldnt have giving a shi*..

"Knew...was morally wrong"?

Are you intending to be a fud? o_O

I would have accepted he maybe "thought" it was morally wrong in his mind, but there shouldn't be a case of it being moral or not.

get lost - there are MANY reasons he would have given a shit, and his thinking that 'homosexual acts are morally wrong' was probably not one of them. Mainly because that's a completely batshit insane thing to think, but that's another argument.

I'm not going to pretend I know what it felt like to be so scared of family and friends finding out about my sexuality that I felt that killing myself would be the only option, but I was terrified before telling my family and I can understand why children of parents who may be utterly homophobic and close-minded would have that fear spiral out of control. To them it's almost like they can't see past the reaction of their family or the bullying they recieve at school or university because it completely suffocates them. They don't realise that they will have their own life after school and it can get much better for them. So while it shouldn't be a life-ending thing to happen to someone, it can deifnitely feel like it.

get lost - there are MANY reasons he would have given a shit, and his thinking that 'homosexual acts are morally wrong' was probably not one of them. Mainly because that's a completely batshit insane thing to think, but that's another argument.

I'm not going to pretend I know what it felt like to be so scared of family and friends finding out about my sexuality that I felt that killing myself would be the only option, but I was terrified before telling my family and I can understand why children of parents who may be utterly homophobic and close-minded would have that fear spiral out of control. To them it's almost like they can't see past the reaction of their family or the bullying they recieve at school or university because it completely suffocates them. They don't realise that they will have their own life after school and it can get much better for them. So while it shouldn't be a life-ending thing to happen to someone, it can deifnitely feel like it.

Well said. I guess in some way it is the end of one life and the start of another when coming out. It must take guts to end one person and become the other.