aberdeen-music

Fender Blackout Range...

Clean My Wounds

Are they basically just standard Fenders with high powered humbuckers in them or am I missing something?

That was my thought also.

The Humbuckers are 'Duncan Designed' which generally aren't the best. I have Duncan Designed pickups on one guitar and I'm keen to replace them.

The price of them may take this into account however.

This may be an advantage to some people but it does seem with the Fender Twin knobs etc. there is a bit of an emphasis on quirkyness.

That was my thought also.

The Humbuckers are 'Duncan Designed' which generally aren't the best. I have Duncan Designed pickups on one guitar and I'm keen to replace them.

The price of them may take this into account however.

This may be an advantage to some people but it does seem with the Fender Twin knobs etc. there is a bit of an emphasis on quirkyness.

Yeah, the bodies are just alder so a typical Fender body. Really these are just Mexican Fenders with humbuckers in them. I'm all for extra choice so their release is cool, but I can't quite understand why there's so much excitement about them, after all there's been a Japanese H H Jag available for ages, ditto the Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH - Rosewood - Black Cherry Burst, loads of THinline Teles with two humbuckers etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Pffft, humbuckers in Fenders are rubbish.

Tele customs/deluxe humbuckers are great. Kind of agree with you on these types of humbuckers though.

Looked at the Jazzmasters on Youtube. They don't sound great to my ears - nothing on a real JM. The contrast beween the neck and bridge pick up just doesn't sound right, although it does sound pretty good with both selected. Also, I think they've shortened the scale length or something - that in addition the the finishes etc make what I think is one of the coolest looking guitars into a bit of an uggo. Like the idea the simplified tone, volume and 3 way selector, but it seems poorly executed.