aberdeen-music

local amp tech for marshall head

aNewFoundGlory

hi guys.

basically my marshall jcm 2000 conked out while i was playing yesterday. i've checked the ht fuse and the mains fuse, both are fine. i'm getting a very very small amount of sound through the speakers which makes me think that it could be the tubes - but i've had a look at them and they seem to be fine. i'm not too keen for taking it to bits and killing myself in the process of finding out what the problem is.

anybody know of anybody who might be able to have a look at it locally?

thanks

If it's within 3 years old and you filled out the card that comes in the box then it is still under warranty and Marshall will fix it free of charge.

This is presuming you bought it new and that recently though :)

nah it's a 2006 one, so no chance of warranty.

i'm not even sure it's worth sending it away to get a full service/repair. the amount it would cost, i'd almost be as well get a new head - considering it's almost 5 years old so chances are something else is going to give sometime soon. i was just wondering if there was anybody who could even do some diagnostics and try to find out what the problem is without sending it half way across the country.

How long have the valves been in there for and do you use it hard (gig volume) often or have you in the past?

not sure how long the tubes have been in, but yeah it's cranked quite frequently. i had it set with the gain down very low and the volume high with the treble/middle/bass all at full (plexi style) on the clean channel when it went. i saw somewhere that if it goes out while set like like that could have something to do with the output transistor going?