aberdeen-music

Fifa 11

Moose

Just used Messi for the first time. Oh. My. God. Finally, he is as stupidly good as he should be.

Really? I thought he was slower on this one than on 10, when he and Ronaldo could just rinse everyone. I don't like playing as Barca at all really, since their frontmen aren't very tall, and I'm all about crossing.

Really? I thought he was slower on this one than on 10, when he and Ronaldo could just rinse everyone. I don't like playing as Barca at all really, since their frontmen aren't very tall, and I'm all about crossing.

I've not used Barca yet, I refuse to use 5 star club teams, 4 1/2 is where it's at. This was with Argentina, he was a beast. I was shit with him in 10 but in this it's really easy to run down the wing with him, cut inside and shoot/play someone in i.e be Messi.

I'm all about Elia of Hamburg and Holland. He's fassssst. Robben is ridiculous too.

I find it much more satisfying when I do mad shit with rubbish players. As I've gone with Blackburn Rovers, I have plenty of them. I did buy Hargreaves and Olic who are both damn good, but thats it really. I bought Marco Motta from Udinese too, who will run until someone shoots him. Got a good relationship with my players although I just sold a heap of dead weight (Zurab Khizinishvili).

My main qualm is the development of youger players in career mode. Its fine when the older players lose attributes, however I can't seem to develop any of my young players like Aaron Doran, Phil Young and Alex Marrow, even though it says they have "massive potential." I play them a lot too, not in every game, but a lot. They get good scores for their performances and everything, yet the still lose points if I don't play them for 3 weeks or so. Enfuriating!! One of my younger players - Martin Olsson - has got mad good though even though it doesn't state that he has high potential. In fact, he's the only one of my players who has got better (73ovr-79ovr in a season and a half!). Players should also develop when you send them on loan to a lesser team, but they don't. It kind of defeats the point in keeping a bunch of young players to try and develop them when you it is more advantageous to just sell them.

• 1 month later...

I bought Fifa 10 in Asda pre-owned for 9 quid. It's hard as fuck, haven't scored a goal yet. That was understandable as Aberdeen but thought Barca would do better. All my players seem to take 10 years to move with the ball when received and cant get past anyone. While the opponents have spooky predictive powers that have them turning away when you have barely moved towards them.

Is 11 the same sort of deal? Not much point in me spending 30 quid on frustration and swearing at the telly.

Fifa 11 is harder than Fifa 10 I'd say. Maybe it just takes practice? I think the Fifa games are harder to pick up and play straight away - like Pro Ev - but when shit starts going your way and your team gel, its awesome! I was a die hard Pro Ev fan for years but converted to the church of EA when Fifa 09 was released. Havn't looked back since!! So, i suppose it just takes a bit of time to get used to the games.

As for Darren Mackie: wow. I knew he had it in him. I'm not sure about international call ups though as I usually get bored of this mode after a season or so.

What was the last Fifa you played before Fifa 10? It's not exactly a pick up and play kind of game. It does take some getting used to. Usually when a new Fifa comes out, I hate it for the first couple of weeks until I get to grips with it. Fifa 10 was quite a step up in terms of difficulty too, as they made it a bit harder to get your shot on target, and also introduced the 360 dribbling, which was quite hard to get to grips with. I kept running out of play when running down the wing. I still do from time to time.

Try being a bigger and stronger team like Chelsea or Bayern Munich. Barca are a bit overrated. They are all quick, but they are all short and weak in terms of the game, where as the likes of Drogba or Mario Gomez will just barge right through puny centre backs as if they were children.

What was the last Fifa you played before Fifa 10? It's not exactly a pick up and play kind of game. It does take some getting used to. Usually when a new Fifa comes out, I hate it for the first couple of weeks until I get to grips with it. Fifa 10 was quite a step up in terms of difficulty too, as they made it a bit harder to get your shot on target, and also introduced the 360 dribbling, which was quite hard to get to grips with. I kept running out of play when running down the wing. I still do from time to time.

Try being a bigger and stronger team like Chelsea or Bayern Munich. Barca are a bit overrated. They are all quick, but they are all short and weak in terms of the game, where as the likes of Drogba or Mario Gomez will just barge right through puny centre backs as if they were children.

I'm not sure I have ever played a Fifa game before, i'm not a big gamer. The last one I bought was probably a Pro-Evo on the PS2 or somesuch. I seem to recall finding that pretty hard as well.

Thierry Henry pisses me off. Gets knocked off the ball like a skinny lass. I frequently have a decent run down the wing only to have my thumb get a bit uncomfy and while trying to adjust the ball is over the line. I'll try one of those teams tonight. :up:

It helps to get to know the players in your chosen team, and what their best attributes are, and even what their strongest foot is. Shooting when the ball is on a players weak foot will be a bit rubbish sometimes, but get it on their preferred foot and they should hit the target if they have good finishing/shot power stats. A prime example of this is Podolski. Shoot on his right and it's tame, but shooting with his left foot will puncture the ball and rip the net in half.

Played as Bayern Munich last night, there were moments when I thought things were going to be all better. On the whole not really but I even hit the crossbar with a couple of shots. A shot going away from the players foot as opposed to being nicked off me by a defender shows improvement.

Keep the ball moving is my tip. If gets crowded and you get closed down quickly. Way to do it is the old passing triangles trick. Going down the wings is only effective if you've got loads of space to thread a through ball into as the defenders seem to be able to catch you up no matter how pacey you are. Once you reach the by line another trick is to cut back onto your (presumably) weaker foot, works every time. Crossing like that is generally pish, but you can pass the ball to someone in a better position to cross. Crossing is just getting used to how much power to put on to reach the different parts of the goal. Although in FIFA 10 it's hit and miss scoring with headers, even if you're on the 6 yard line.

Shooting wise... practice in the arena. If you're inside the box finesse shots are usually best. Look for a gap and try and curl it in. You never need to hit the power bar more than 2/3rd's, if it's just going into the yellow zone then that's enougn. If you're just outside the box then free kicks are pretty easy as well, aim for the corner, hold up and tap the power bar (no more than 1/4 full) and you'll get it on target most times.

In FIFA 10 the easiest way to score is through ball, then dink it over the keeper. they always come off their line and it's harder to miss with a chip shot than it is to score.

I still need to get FIFA 11. I've seen it for sale for 30 so might just get it now.

• 2 weeks later...

Enough people here for an ab-music online pro club? The guys I was with last year are hardly ever online and IMO it's the best mode in the game! Doing ranked matches is also bad as you get the ball hoggers etc. My pro is up to 76% completion now. Some of them are mental though. 2 goals from >32 yards in one game on world class mode? Aye right! Even online you'd need an idiot in goal who liked to run outside his box.

Also, Fifa 11 is on sale for 18 today at play.com, so if you want it or want to buy it as a present for someone then today is the cheapest you'll get it for ages!

I'd be into that, but I'm not about tonight. I'll be on at somepoint in the week though. Perhaps Wednesday?

I prefer games without the 5 star teams personally. They are just too good. An ugly, scrappy 3/4 star duke is where it's at.

I'm partial to an Arsenal vs Chelsea, but just as partial to a good old Sassuolo vs Albinoleffe, so whatever floats your boat really. My gamertag is SadBuffalo3 (for some reason) so send me a friend request. I can be on later on on Wednesday.

Enough people here for an ab-music online pro club? The guys I was with last year are hardly ever online and IMO it's the best mode in the game! Doing ranked matches is also bad as you get the ball hoggers etc. My pro is up to 76% completion now. Some of them are mental though. 2 goals from >32 yards in one game on world class mode? Aye right! Even online you'd need an idiot in goal who liked to run outside his box.

Also, Fifa 11 is on sale for 18 today at play.com, so if you want it or want to buy it as a present for someone then today is the cheapest you'll get it for ages!

Not sure really. I mostly play career mode as a manager, not really into virtual pro. Whenever I play online though it puts me up against a someone ranked at the same level as me. As I just got xbox live, I'm very lowly ranked, but I've been playing for long enough to absolutely hump folk of the same standard as me. I keep getting 3 or 4 up then my opponent signs out. Frustrating. Anyway, I'm SadBuffalo3.

Not sure really. I mostly play career mode as a manager, not really into virtual pro. Whenever I play online though it puts me up against a someone ranked at the same level as me. As I just got xbox live, I'm very lowly ranked, but I've been playing for long enough to absolutely hump folk of the same standard as me. I keep getting 3 or 4 up then my opponent signs out. Frustrating. Anyway, I'm SadBuffalo3.

I'll add you tonight but I'm never really play single player online so I'd expect I'm a bit gash and be a bit of a walkover :p: My ID is keeno89

Virtual pro's get ridiculously good when you get most of the accomplishments. Mine is at 88% now I think and has overall rating of 89 when I play him as a CAM playmaker. Goes up to 94 with form boosts. I've got most of them nearly complete aside from defence (37/50 i think?) and goalkeeper (33/50 or something like that) which are sooo dull. Still can't figure out how the hell you're supposed to do the 2 chip shots from outside the box on world class! It's actually nearly impossible to do. They really have made them useless outside the box now the keepers stay on their lines all the time and their is no power behind them, I've totally done mental, only a few more curled free kicks to finish ball skills and I don't think I'll ever totally finish passing. The 3 last achievements are 50 goals created online/world class with through ball/chipped through ball and ground pass. That will take an insane amount of time to do.

The power free kick trait is soo satisfying. Smacking a driven shot around the wall into the top corner from 40 yards is the best way to score! Anyone played about with all the swerve pass/flair and dribbling traits etc? I just stick with the power free kick/finesse shot/power header/diving header/bicycle kick ones, although the latter two are nearly impossible to pull off.

I like the way they've made the speed differences a bit more pronounced this year. If you want a tall striker you really do have to trade off speed. Anything over 6' and your acceleration goes below 80, even with stats maxed out. Although I prefer having a tiny player who can just sprint and dribble past everyone. If you could make a tall, fast and strong player like Ronaldo and Drogba with your VP would be an unstoppable goal machine, but I'm guessing that's why you can't do it!

I just can't stand the player mode. Controlling only one player is awful because the CPU controlled team mates are just fucking awful, yet if I play as the full team, it's just like a more limited manager mode. I have my pro in my team in manager mode, but I've hit a brickwall with getting the achievements. Think I'm at about 79 rating, and I'm just not patient enough to sit and work through all the different achievements.

I also don't have Xbox live anymore. That's wack.